Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Love the Hurricane Ridge Photos - almost makes me feel like I should yoddle or go and buy a nice big cuddly St.Bernard...Thanks for Sharing!!! Always a pleasure to go along on your photoscapes... AKA Heidi

where to next.....

Go for it Carol......be bold, defy the Gas, be true to your dreams...

Head for Alaska

Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Carol. Great pics and chat about your trip so far. So sorry that the destination didn't fit, but I'm wondering if you have other work kamper options in the Washington area to check out before heading all the way back to Michigan? Perhaps another will be the perfect fit. Be safe on the road...~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Carol, are you going to come see us at International?
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hoh Rain Forest

All these great tips for wonderful places, I want to go to all of them!! I want to see every where I possibly can. Many destinations I do want to save to share with Bradley. You'd laugh to see us traveling and exploring together, nudging each other or bursting in the Airstream to call the other out to come "Look!" It's a little schmaltzy but we really enjoy discovering things together through each other's eyes.

I have been delinquent in keeping up so I will try catching up a bit now.

I have decided against attending the International and instead stopping at other various places as I make my way homeward.

The Hoh Rain Forest has the most amazing growth of moss that grows on air and covers the branches of trees that are very stout, tall and some as old as 150 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	62744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	62745  

Name:	IMG_8302.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	62746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8300.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	62747  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ruby Beach

I could not leave the area without a trip to one of the rugged beaches of the West Coast and seeing first hand a sea stack in the Pacific Ocean...albeit I would have preferred it not to be raining when I got there! There also is incredibly large driftwood washed ashore and logs churning in the water. I went at low tide to see if I could find some sea creatures uncovered but I only found large smooth rocks that got turned and clinked in the waves like shell wind chimes and made a fascinating and pleasant sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8783.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	62748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8886.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	62749  

Name:	IMG_8866.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	62750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8788.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	62751  

photography
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Leaving the Olympic Peninsula I made a short side trip up 20 North to Port Townsend. That was a trip better to tour without the Airstream as the roads were narrow and rv parking not available. So I followed a bus, got turned around and lost when the bus stopped and made my way back out through the help of some friendly directions. Even in the supermarket parking lot I needed to run an island to exit. I wonder how fish feel when they find themselves aground...

But what a wonderful village filled with eclectic restaurants and shops and beautiful gardens and sweet residential neighborhoods laced wih marinas and water craft and all bustling with happy people and pets. Perhaps another time Brad and I will get to Port Townsend and even to the Northern Cascades together. I hope so, but not for me this trip out. I am already desiring some warmer weather and different terrain, and straighter roads and open spaces.

I took a very scenic drive down 101 South to the East of Olympic National Park along the water with small establishments along the way. It was just the way I remember things to be when I was very young, uncrowded, quiet and teaming with personality, each different but all commonly bekoning you to stop and stay and relax for awhile. The drive East from Seattle was beautiful with huge mountains in every direction reflecting the lowering sun.

I stopped before dark at Lake Easton State Park. It's always fun to find a little gem of a place by chance and this was one, right along the lake and heavily wooded with full hook-ups and friendly staff. Of course I liked the size and ease of parking in the campground with utilities after mistakenly driving through the standard campground and finding out that was the one for tenters. Now that does explain the tight corners and those lurking attack barrier trees on the roads! Not my easiest driving day...but certainly a nice reward for the effort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9021.jpg
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	62752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9022.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	62753  

Name:	IMG_9025.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	62755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9005.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	62756  

photography
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Airstream of Spokane

You know Airstream of Spokane. They have that marvelous animated gif of the bicyclist pulling the Airstream on their web site and Karyn posts those comprehensive shots of the new models. Well it was my good fortune to have a short stay at Airstream of Spokane.

Another short drive and I was courtesy parking at Airstream of Spokane. The crickets were chirping and the high school band was practising. It was quite the welcome evening serenade. Karyn and Nick are fabulous people and we had a wonderful visit. Time flew swapping story after story. I had such a great time and truly appreciated the welcome and hospitality. I would have liked to have stayed on and on.

Inside glass topped counters display pictures of new Airstream owners and their new Airstreams and some shared pictures of their travels. Airstream of Spokane sponsors such super events such as the rally they gave with the Trailer Park Troubadours performing and attending and then jamming with others around the campfire. I wish I had been there. They also sponsored a group of Airstreamers who are planning to attend the Capetown to Cairo Caravan for a rally right on site and gave informative seminars. How cool is that? Exactly, so stop in and see these people, put them on your list of fine Airstream dealers for when you are in the area, you won't be sorry. They fixed me right up with great service and supplies and had me in good order in no time and right back Airstreaming.

Thank you Karyn, Nick and Doug!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9084.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	62757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9088.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	62758  

Name:	IMG_9090.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	62759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9093.jpg
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	62760  

photography
Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #22
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
so are you going to see us at International?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Probably not unless I have a wild hankering to see more silver than green. PM me your cell number and if I anticipate driving to the University I'll give you a jingle to see just where you are. Otherwise you may see me if you look quick on I90 in Bozeman.

We will be relying on you and your blog to bring us the stories and pictures!!!! I'll be following you...

photography
Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hamilton Montana

I drove to Hamilton Montana and stayed at a local campground. On the way from Spokane I drove through Cours d'Arlene. That is a beautiful area with gorgeous houses tiered up the mountains and down to the water, each unique and inviting retreats and show places. Tomorrow I will meet up with Donna (Dieter Dog) and we will have a visit. I haven't seen Donna since the International rally in Salem Oregon on 2006. It's going to be fun catching up. The weather has warmed to the 80s and projected to be warmer still tomorrow. Got my first mosquito bite and relocated from my intended campground because they are expecting the water to rise tomorrow.

This campground is called Black Rabit RV Park. Rabbits are everywhere. It's almost surreal. You can easily spot 2-8 rabbits in almost any direction you look, between RVs, under cars, across the grass. Once raised domestically and now multiplied and living in the wild, they pepper the campround with gentle antics and graceful poses. The evening cooled off to be refreshing from the day's heat and as the sun lowered crickets sang, birds flew, and clouds made unusual formations across the sky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9114.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	62773   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	62774  

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	62775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9149.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	62776  

photography
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #25
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
How cute!!! How far are you from Bozeman?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Great photo journaling Carol,, enjoyed your trip vicariously,, have not been to the Olympic Penninsula in many years,,, Black Rabbit is fun,, i treasured your visit,, hope you are not having too many traumtic situations,,, post soon,,, safe travails,,, donna
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ah Donna, it was all great fun for me too and I am happy to report I have been having miles of smiles. Keep your fingers crossed though, I still have a few more to go...

Which brings me to my next post, and then I will be caught up to where I am staying now in Fairmount. And Bozeman Laura is 110 miles away from Fairmont. In fact I met some Airstreamers from Victoria yesterday who left here this morning to go to the International today.

I got to spend an entire day with Donna and she gave me the tour of her town of Hamilton. We had a full day chock full of fun and local samplings! First on the agenda was the Farmer's Market. There were gifted artists from the community with jewelry, watercolors, wooden bowls, carvings, leather goods, sculptures, imports and exotic wares, home made breads, jams, salsas, flowers, produce, everything imaginable. The market is held weekly and musicians play during the entire market hours.
I left with a beautiful columbine plant from Donna to dress up my Airstream table, fresh baked wheat bread, salsa and pico degallo. Common denominator here...yes, I just love to eat!

We then went to a local bakery for lunch. There were more choices than I have ever seen offered of specialty breads, meats, cheeses, vegetables and spreads. My half sandwich was larger than any full sandwich so I actually had enough for another scrumptous meal. I grabbed a fudge brownie for later. YUM!

I finally met "Dieter Dog" himself and his companion, two little sweeties, a dachshund and a pug, (I think.) Donna owns two Airstreams a new 16' Bambi and a 25' Safari. Donna has an amazing flair for decorating. The Bambi is styled with textures, baskets, hand strung beads and copper strands and romantic movie posters. Also notice the Airstream pillow made by Lou Woodruff, another very crafty woman. In the Safari custom fabrics cover the chair and sofa and the boudoir is fresh with white and floral. Personal touches adorn the interior and bring a smile and a feeling of warmth and home. Donna shared one of her tips for decorating, "Fishing line is a girl's best friend," she told me, used to string and suspend all manner of decoration invisibly and securely.

We had rootbeer floats at a parlor to recharge and cool off for browsing and shopping in town. I had to get a Montana shirt of course. Then supper at a popular hot spot with a crowd of both locals and visitors. Huge burgers (Montana has great beef) and a fixings bar. And all the while we gabbed and gabbed. Donna thanks a million! You really did my visit up royal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9122.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	62777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9125.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	62778  

Name:	IMG_9129.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	62779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9132.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	62780  

photography
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Wow!

Thanks for the great pictures, Carol! I talk to Donna everynight and NOW I finally get to see her picture! Thanks a million! Good job of decorating, Donna! Now we get to see the real thing!
Carol, safe travels. Keep us posted on where you are and what is happening along the way.
Lou

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote