Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
MollyMac

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Hoover , Alabama
Going to Yellowstone from AZ

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone and areas around. Leaving from Cottonwood, AZ and would like advice on where to stay, courses to travel, and your best recommendations about when to go...looking at after Labor Day. Puling a 25'FC with Tundra.

Thanks,
MollyMac
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Going to Yellowstone from AZ

So, from the third week of June to the third week of August, Yellowstone is packed. Avoid those dates at all costs. If it was me, I'd try to get there the first or second week of September All the critters are out and about, it is busy but not ridiculous and the weather is cool. If you need full hookups, make reservations ASAP for a place in West Yellowstone or Gardner.

If you can dry camp, make reservations ASAP for Madison or Canyon in the Park.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Down load the app Allstays. I have used it for years It tell everything that you need as a RV’er. Enjoy the ride [emoji2]
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Always crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
So, from the third week of June to the third week of August, Yellowstone is packed. Avoid those dates at all costs. If it was me, I'd try to get there the first or second week of September All the critters are out and about, it is busy but not ridiculous and the weather is cool. If you need full hookups, make reservations ASAP for a place in West Yellowstone or Gardner.

Year before last we went to Yellowstone in the middle of September and it was still packed. Ridiculously crowded. I would avoid West Yellowstone at all costs.....especially, the KOA. Crowded and dirty, but at least it was expensive. Expect snow.
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I'd run up to Page and then work my way over to I15 by way of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Once you get up to Idaho falls, you can head for the park.

Where to stay? A couple of choices near Kanab, one has FHUs, but time at the North Rim NP campground is a must do as it gets you close enough to explore. We stay off I15 in Nephi. It's a few miles East of the Highway and is what looks to be an old KOA. The entry is a bit narrow, but take it slow. Take a look at the Snake River RV Park in Idaho Falls. It's not a bad drive into Yellowstone from there.

Not sure what to advise as to YS. There was construction in process last fall and the Fishing Bridge campground was not open. Call the park direct and get an update. The East side may be a real mess until the road through the East Gate is paved through Fishing Bridge.

Get reservations now if you can. You can stay outside the park and drive in each day, but the crowds make driving in the park a real challenge.

You might consider dry camping in Coulter Bay or Gros Ventre on the South toward the Grand Tetons.

Travel safe and collect some smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have not been in a few years so take this with NaCl. Fishing Bridge (no fishing allowed) was laid out when campers were much smaller so spaces were very tight. We have also stayed at Madison which is in the center of the park which was much more spacious. We also stayed at Gros Ventre (pronounced grow van) and had Moose (plural) casually walking through the campground.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sncnidaho View Post
Year before last we went to Yellowstone in the middle of September and it was still packed. Ridiculously crowded. I would avoid West Yellowstone at all costs.....especially, the KOA. Crowded and dirty, but at least it was expensive. Expect snow.
We stayed in West Yellowstone last mid-September and it was not too bad. We like the Grizzly RV Park. Very well maintained and all of the roads paved with gutters. Only two blocks from the Grizzly and Wolf discovery Center. A must see.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When we left on October 1st, the plan was that Fishing Bridge RV Park would be closed for the 2019 season.

If you can dry camp, definitely try to stay in the Park. The commute in and out can be tough -- one elk bedded down by the Madison River can back traffic up at the West Entrance all the way into town. The east road will have about 5 miles of construction in the Fishing Bridge area. Passable but slow.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post

I agree. Although I would stay in Island Park, Idaho instead of West Yellowstone. It's a short drive to the Park and September is the very best month, after Labor Day. Another suggestion is to visit the extreme SW portion of the Park via Ashton, Idaho to the Bechler Ranger District. Excellent fishing and very wild, way less tourists.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Yellowstone

We stayed at Yellowstones Edge this past Sept. and it was absolutely the nicest campground that we have ever seen. Reservation are read long in advance.
MaiziesGang is offline   Reply With Quote