Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Devoman,
Buy a generator before you go.
Lots of the parks are filling up this time of year. YOU WILL NEED RESERVATIONS.
John Peneenamp state park in Key Largo is a great place to stay. Boyds key west is great but cramped as well. Bahia Honda is right on the beach.

I spent two weeks in the Keys last winter without reservations and did ok. I did not want a schedule.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Generator

I was really close to getting a generator but my friend has one so if anything goes wrong we will have it.

Man I hope nothing like that starts to brewing down south.I have been checking the weather though and looks good so far.I am just thinking how hot it is going to be when we get there.I t will be ok though.We are going to be inside anyways.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Bluewater Key, just outside Key West, is probably the nicest full-hookup campground I've ever seen.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Going to the Keys Again

Well that time of the year is here again and I will be down in the Keys for a week to work.
I will be staying at Boyds Campground.It is a great place to stay at and I also got a 40 footer slot right on the water.Last year we had an opening and were very lucky to get it so we went there instead.It is a great campround and the restaurants are awsome.
I will be getting there on a Wed and staying there till Mon.Sun is when the traffic will be bad since everyone will be going home.Also I will be cruising up the east coast in search of some good waves until I get to St Augustine and then head home.
Would anyone know if they finished the new bridge that starts into the islands.Last year it was being worked on and it was real tight going on the 2 lane road.I could see in my passenger side mirror that the Airstream was about a foot from the railing when driving down the road and it went like that for miles.People would slow down every time a big dump truck or big rig would pass them.Pretty wild stuff.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've got CP if you need a place to stay around Gainesville. I am 9 miles off exit 399.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Devoman...heck with the camping stuff...I want to know about your 'people painting'....and how steady a hand you have while you're painting the ladies without tops....
Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
Well that time of the year is here again and I will be down in the Keys for a week to work.
I will be staying at Boyds Campground.It is a great place to stay at and I also got a 40 footer slot right on the water.Last year we had an opening and were very lucky to get it so we went there instead.It is a great campround and the restaurants are awsome.
Hey Devoman! Long time no see your post. Hope business has been good this summer and good luck with the trip. Looking forward to the Can Opener in January. I'll keep an eye out for your thread this fall.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Keys

It has been great.I will be in the Keys at the end of October and then to Disney hopefully for the New years.I am planning to call tomorrow to see if they have a spot in Ft wilderness.Hopefully they do.After that it will be off to the Can Opener and then St.Augustine.I plan to start the Can Opener on Sept 1st.That should give enough time for everyone to Decide and talk about what everyone wants to do.

So....Does anyone know if the new bridge at the end of Florida has been finished to get to the Keys.Thanks All.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #23
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Devoman...heck with the camping stuff...I want to know about your 'people painting'....and how steady a hand you have while you're painting the ladies without tops....
Yea ....I tend to take my time when painting and having a steady hand...well...sometimes it can get nerve racking depending on what you are painting on.I have my limits though.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Florida Keys official Tourism Website - Islamorada, Key Largo, Marathon, Lower Keys, Key West

this said it's open. well, a portion anyway.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
I am planning to call tomorrow to see if they have a spot in Ft wilderness.Hopefully they do.
The week between Christmas and New Year's is the busiest week at WDW and it is no exception for Ft. Wilderness. I made my Christmas reservations in January as it is not uncommon for holiday weeks to book nearly a year in advance. However, this year may be different with fuel prices what they are.

If you don't get a camp site now, keep trying. Some people will make reservations for the hard to get weeks far in advance to have them and then find out that they can't go as the time approaches and cancel at or near the last minute. I've got several reservations this way for preferred campsites for holiday weeks. Disney updates the system about 2:00 am so a good time to call is 7:00 am when the reservation office opens. Used to be that Thursdays were the best day to call.

Request loop 300 or one of the surrounding pet loops. Ft. Wilderness just put in an off-leash dog park next to the playground at the entrance to the 300 loop and it is close to the marina, too, and has cable with the Disney channel. There was a couple that stayed in site 301 from November to March in a Prevost every year that did unbelievable Christmas decorations on their site, but Mrs. Howard died after a prolonged battle with cancer earlier this year so her husband might not be back this year. Another couple always get site 302 across the street from them and really decorates their site but doesn't comes nearly as close to the level of decorations the Howards put up. In fact, Samantha Brown did a Christmas special from WDW this past year and went out to Ft. Wilderness and interviewed the Howards for the show because of the amount of decorations they put up. Even if you don't get loop 300, make sure you go by and check out the decorations.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Almost there.

Well...I am in the Keys right now.I am staying at Curry Hammocks state park for the night before I go to Boyds campgrounds.The weather is great right now.85 mid day and cool winds with no humidity.The sites are really close to the water and the ones across the street are still really close.It is a great campground with gravel sites and also has a gate for the camping area itself.There are not that many sites so the park is pretty small but is well worth the stay.Everything looks brand new like they just did an overhaul on the place.I will takes some pictures tomorrow and post them up for everyone to see.right now I got to walk the dog and get some sleep.
One thing I did like about the trip thru here though is that the new bridge and highway is great.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Devoman, would love to see those photos and details. Haven't camped in the Keys, but have scuba dived many times in Pennekamp and other locations including a couple of wrecks (Dwayne, Bibb, and Eagle). Would love to know more about camping in the Keys and possible dive locations nearby for future trips. Becki wants to be right on the water though...guess that would be nice. Anyway, looking forward to your trip report about Boyd's and Curry Hammocks State Park. BTW, do they have Wi-Fi?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #28
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Camp Grounds

The campgrounds and state parks are really nice.The curry hammocks park Is new and small but really nice.I was looking at some pictures but I was not able to take many.It rained a lot while I was down there a few days so it was a bit tough to do.
The state parks are still the usual price in florida so that is a good thing.
I was told that there was a campground right in the heart of Key West but I would not go there.From what I am told they park you so close to each other that you can just open your door and you are not able to spread your awnings out.

While on my trip to the keys though I did see about 12 or so Airstreams go by.If I remember ,only 2 of all of those had red numbers on them.

In Boyds campground there were 2 newer Airstreams and they also did not have red numbers on them.I was to busy to say hello at the time plus they were gone also since the festival was going on.