Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Albuquerque , NM
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrales Kid
Going to Mexico around 1st of year

We're from New Mexico, currently in Arizona and planning on going to San Carlos or Rocky Point sometime around January 1, preferably Dec 28-ish.

Anyone interested in meeting up and heading South together.

Any advice on our trip?

We're in a Classic Motorhome.
Corrales Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
There is a book published by Rolling Homes Press on RVing in Mexico. It makes a trip south of the border much easier.
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Mexico

Here are a couple of forums with lots of advice. I'd wait a week after New Years to go to San Carlos. All the Mexicans who went home will be returning that first week. RP not so bad.

San Carlos Forum - Topical Forums - San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums

RockyPointTalk.com - The Largest Puerto Penasco Discussion Forum

I like RV Parks Playa Bonita in RP and Hotel Playa de Cortes in SC.

Buenas Suerte!

gatorboy
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

We are in San Carlos. We now have a house but spent several years in an RV here and have traveled extensively in Mexico in various RVs.
Trip is pretty easy as far as RV travel in Mexico goes. Distance is about 260 miles in Mexico, all 4 lane on Highway 15. We have never had a safety issue and there have been no recent reports of problems anywhere along the route. I suggest not driving at night.
Biggest issue is getting the trailer in the correct lane. The signage is sometimes confusing and changes frequently. When in doubt, stop until you figure out which way to go. You don't want to drive into a lane where there is no overhead clearance.
You will have to temporarilly import your trailer and get a tourist card. There is a well marked customs office at Km 21. You will need registration and title and if the trailer is financed, a notarized permission from the lender. The tow vehicle does not need to be imported if you are not going South beyond San Carlos.
A passport is needed to get back in the U.S.
You need Mexican insurance which can be purchased by the day. A tip for saving money is to insure your trailer for only the days you are traveling in it.
You can use a credit card for fuel, but we use cash. Gas station attendents are poorly paid and we have had problems with identity theft. We use the atm machine at Banamex in San Carlos to get cash.
A little Spanish is helpful, but most of the people you come in contact with speak some English.
If you have not been here before and can't get somebody to buddy up with you off the forum, I suggest staying a couple of days at Lazy Days in Tucson. Put a note on the bulletin board. There is usually somebody going South and you can tag along.
There is a good RV park in downtown San Carlos and another at the Playa Cortez in Guymas.
I know you will enjoy your trip. Post about it when you return.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Albuquerque , NM
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrales Kid
Question re Title

Many thanks for your info. I was fairly familiar with most of the legal stuff (insurance, etc.).

I'm in Scottsdale now. I was at Lazy Days all of last week and it never occurred to me to look for their bulletin board.I'll phone them today and see if they will post something for me. I think Lazy Days is the best commercial RV park that we've ever been in.

Your response is most helpful. I have an Airstream Motorhome, towing a car. I do have registrations which are in my name. However, I do not have Titles with me. Do you think this will be a problem? I would hate to be turned back somewhere along the way.
Corrales Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Corrales, I can't advise you about recent Aduana requirements about titles. We drive only a car in the hassle free zone and don't import a vehicle. I have heard that if you drive a motorhome only, you don't need to import it in the hassle free zone. You may get by with only registrations, if your registrations do not show a lien on your vehicles. We have never needed original titles, only photocopies.
Another resource is vivasancarlos.com. There is a free forum on the web site but you must register to use it.
Ask on that forum about titles, motorhome only, ect. Also I am sure you can meet up with somone coming South if you post on the forum.
The RV Park in San Carlos is Totanaka. It is on the main drag on the right as you enter town.
Come on down, I am sure you will enjoy your stay.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote