Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #1

Going to Alaska !!

We are headed to Alaska for the summer (leaving around 5/15 and returning the end of August). We are planning on doing ALOT of fly fishing and would like to meet up with other flyfishing Airstreamer's going that way.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Bill and Lois,

Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime!

I have only been to Alaska once, when I was 8 months old. Needless to say I don't remember the trip. I'm hoping to make my own trip in the next few years.

Anyway, my folks have been back a couple of times and they've always said there's two things to never forget ... super dark window shades and bugscreen. With 20 hours of daylight in the Summertime you should find plenty of time to fly fish!

Have a great trip and post pics as you go, if you can.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Looking forward to hearing how you find the drive and services along the way. We will be doing the trip in a few years also. Either with the caravan or on our own. What do you pull that 31 with...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

We live in Anchorage, own a 16CCD, and have been fly fishing for around 45years. We also drove up the highway last November, so could answer anyq's you have there. Don't bring 24 midge patterns. BIG attractor flys, egg sucking leaches, Flourescents. Lots of trout waters along the Alcan. Grayling waters in the interior. Head for the Kenai River for trout and salmon. Kings in the Anchor R. and Deep Creek beginning Memorial Day, along with good razor clamming on lowest tides. 8-10 wt rods for salmon. Multiplier reels a good idea. Waters along Parks highway between Anchorage and McKinley can be very good for trout. And bears.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We are taking the caravan up to Alaska in summer of 2006 just after the International in Oregon. Its funny the stories that we have heard, have some friends that pulled 34's, two units traveling together, and didn't have any problems. Others have said that anything over a bambi is undoable. We plan on pulling the 34 and taking our time. This is a trip that we are looking forward to taking. Let me know how the fly fishing goes.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
Looking forward to hearing how you find the drive and services along the way. We will be doing the trip in a few years also. Either with the caravan or on our own. What do you pull that 31 with...
We got a 2002 GMC Duramax/Allison at the same time we got the Trailer (Nov., 2002). Just got back from 90 days on the road and the truck turned over 50,000 miles. Not one problem with the truck, we LOVE it, gets between 14 & 15 MPG, only mod to the truck was a K&N airfilter.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We are soooooooooooooo jealous!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Lois Lanio
We are headed to Alaska for the summer...
I hope you have a good trip! We'll be doing that trip next spring-summer with our 4 kids. I hope you'll share your experiences with the forum, I will certainly be looking forward to reading about them.

Grant
Old 04-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Alaska

The wife and I drove a 69 Dodge Travco to Alaska in 01 and had a wonderful trip. Just dont get in a big hurry cause it is a long way up there. Disregard the horror stories about the trip and be sure to get a copy of the Milepost before you go. Have a great time.
Joe
Old 01-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
I am planning a trip from So California to Alaska, leaving in July and return late Sept. Does anyone have advice based on recent trip? Road conditions, camp grounds, services. Do I need rock protection for the front of my 25' Safari?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We started a trip to Alaska last year (2004). Things happened and we had to cancel, so we're trying again this year. We have family in Anchorage including a soon-to-be-born grandchild, so a lot is on the line to make this trip.

Our plan is to leave here in early May, meet up with the Wild Rainbow Caravan in BC and fish for 3+ weeks, then continue the trip. I am under the impression the road will be (under construction/frost heaves/good) and plan to deal with whatever we encounter. We will be using the latest Milepost, which comes out in April. The RV open roads forum dealing with Alaska & Canada has been a useful resource also. We plan to take 3 months to make this trip. We've already seen much of highway-accessible Alaska on previous fly-in trips, so the new ground to cover will be from Vancouver, BC to Northway, AK.

Hope to see some Airstreamers down the road...
Paula
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We'll be doing this trip either this summer or next. jfowler218 you might want to check out this site. http://www.karo-ent.com/ I'd want some sort of rock protection if it were me.
GStephens
Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
We are taking the caravan up to Alaska in summer of 2006 just after the International in Oregon.
Tarheel,

Where is the International going to be in Oregon? I always told myself I'd attend when it ever gets to the west coast. I will have to make this one my first. Alaska will have to wait though.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler218
I am planning a trip from So California to Alaska, leaving in July and return late Sept. Does anyone have advice based on recent trip? Road conditions, camp grounds, services. Do I need rock protection for the front of my 25' Safari?
I've never made the trip myself, but last summer while we were in MT I spoke to a half dozen or so people who were on their way home from Alaska.

Based on their comments, I'd definitely want the best rock protection I could find, although no one said that that was their biggest concern - just take your time and drive sensibly they all said. a bigger concern that everyone I spoke with last summer mentioned was the mud they incurred from going through various construction zones. I don't know if the mud was more prevalent last year than normal, but it was apparently like cement -- if you didn't get it washed off in a relatively short order, it apparently was a real bugger to get off later.