Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #21
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Alasca Trip

Hi All,
We went to Alaska in 2003. Had a great time. The roads were good execpt where they are working on them. If you slow down you schould not have a problem. Everyone told us about the trucks. Yes they go like bats out of hell but just out their way.
Some items I woul recomend.
1. A good spare tire.
2 Mile post. Great for telling you where you are and history of the area. It tells you about all the campgrounds.
3. Carry at least 5 galons of extra fuel . Fill up when half full becouse the next place may be 200 miles away.
4.Get some kind of cover for your trailer front window. I had an uphostery shop build me a double vinal blanket .
We plan to move in April to Tucson Az. and leave May 15 05 for Anchorage.
Will come back in August or September.Also be on the look out for wild life. They love to be next the road. The reason is that there a lot grass next to the road and during the winter road department salts the road and the wild life stands there and licks it in the summer.
My net addres is gmby@netptc.net until April.
One more item Good Sam takes about 30 seconds to deliver a trip itinerary to you.
Have a great trip. Russell !985 Sovereign 31ft with Chev,silverado 350 vortex with a stick trans
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

North to Alaska!

You'll do fine pulling that 31ft with the truck. I did it last August, pulling a 31ft with an F150 5.4. I'd second the notion to bring extra gas cans but only if you're going to drive at night or really push your mileage. Stop frequently and you'll be fine. The gas is going to be expensive regardless of how much you take.
The only time you'll really bog down is crossing the Rockies. It will bring you down into the 40's at WOT. No worries, though, you'll likely do fine if conservative in your driving. The only place where I'd really caution is the area north of Lake Kluane. Low speed is KEY as the frost heaves will cause your Air-stream to become Air-borne if you're not careful. Keep it slow and smooth.

IceKing02
Eagle River, Alaska
Old 03-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #23
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Alaska

Hi,Mr Ice King,
I see living you live in Eagle River. Our son and grandkids live in Anchorage, this why we try to go there at least once every 2 years.
We are also planning to stay in Homer for a month and look around for a summer place to buy. We are hoping to have a place in Tucson Az. for the winter and Homer for the summer.
You are right about stoping often and refiling your whicle. I will not have to cross the Rockies unless I go trough Alberta Canada. I am planning to avoid Galgary and Edmonton. These cities are the pits, they have great freeways until you hit the town and them you are stuck in traffic. I do not understand they spend billions to build the freeway but forgot to the bypass.
We have met a lot of good people on the road to Alaska. It is an unwriten law that if someone brakes down stop and offer asistance you never know when your may come up.
Regards Russell
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote