Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #15
Silver Hilton
1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Bill -
If your return trip slides into September, consider a stop at the Bulkley River in BC for some world class steelhead fishing. Smithers, BC is a very comfortable town with an RV CG (Riverside RV Park 250.947.3229) on the river (where I have caught a pair of steelhead). There is excellent road access to the length of the river, easy day-long drifts in a pontoon boat, and scenic unspoiled water best suited for two-handed rods and big flies. The earlier run fish, in Sept when the weather is still warm, are surprisingly prone to taking dry-fly patterns (eg Bombers) on the surface. The fishing here is about as good as I've ever experienced. Hoping to be there myself, again, this September, or in October for the REALLY big fish when the weather is cold. The drive up/down the Frasier River canyon is wonderfully scenic, and a very adequate 2 lane road for a trailer all the way from Smithers to home (Portland, OR).

Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally Posted by jfowler218
I am planning a trip from So California to Alaska, leaving in July and return late Sept. Does anyone have advice based on recent trip? Road conditions, camp grounds, services. Do I need rock protection for the front of my 25' Safari?
My buddy ran from Atlanta to Anchorage with his 30ft 5th wheel last year. TIRES was his problem. He had older tires and the road up was still frost heaved bad. He had two blow outs and damaged one rim. Had to wait 2 days for a rim to get shipped in and paid a premuium for new tires.

He made the comment to bring two spares for the trailer next time and he did go buy a second spare.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Where is the International going to be in Oregon?
The Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas

You are most welcome.

I haven't ordered any of their materials yet, but their prices seem very reasonable. Just navigating the site is almost like driving each mile yourself. Wonderful pictures. I'd bet their mile by mile information would be invaluable.

GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Has anyone had occasion to use Good Sam road services on the way to Alaska, meaning California, Oregon, Washington British Columbia, and Alaska? Was the service satisfactory? How long did it take them to respond? I am trying to decie whether to use Good Sam or AAA for my Alaska trip yhis summer.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #21
Desert Fox
1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Alasca Trip

Hi All,
We went to Alaska in 2003. Had a great time. The roads were good execpt where they are working on them. If you slow down you schould not have a problem. Everyone told us about the trucks. Yes they go like bats out of hell but just out their way.
Some items I woul recomend.
1. A good spare tire.
2 Mile post. Great for telling you where you are and history of the area. It tells you about all the campgrounds.
3. Carry at least 5 galons of extra fuel . Fill up when half full becouse the next place may be 200 miles away.
4.Get some kind of cover for your trailer front window. I had an uphostery shop build me a double vinal blanket .
We plan to move in April to Tucson Az. and leave May 15 05 for Anchorage.
Will come back in August or September.Also be on the look out for wild life. They love to be next the road. The reason is that there a lot grass next to the road and during the winter road department salts the road and the wild life stands there and licks it in the summer.
My net addres is until April.
One more item Good Sam takes about 30 seconds to deliver a trip itinerary to you.
Have a great trip. Russell !985 Sovereign 31ft with Chev,silverado 350 vortex with a stick trans
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
North to Alaska!

You'll do fine pulling that 31ft with the truck. I did it last August, pulling a 31ft with an F150 5.4. I'd second the notion to bring extra gas cans but only if you're going to drive at night or really push your mileage. Stop frequently and you'll be fine. The gas is going to be expensive regardless of how much you take.
The only time you'll really bog down is crossing the Rockies. It will bring you down into the 40's at WOT. No worries, though, you'll likely do fine if conservative in your driving. The only place where I'd really caution is the area north of Lake Kluane. Low speed is KEY as the frost heaves will cause your Air-stream to become Air-borne if you're not careful. Keep it slow and smooth.

Eagle River, Alaska
"Few things are impossible to diligence and skill" -Samuel Johnson
IceKing02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #23
Desert Fox
1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Alaska

Hi,Mr Ice King,
I see living you live in Eagle River. Our son and grandkids live in Anchorage, this why we try to go there at least once every 2 years.
We are also planning to stay in Homer for a month and look around for a summer place to buy. We are hoping to have a place in Tucson Az. for the winter and Homer for the summer.
You are right about stoping often and refiling your whicle. I will not have to cross the Rockies unless I go trough Alberta Canada. I am planning to avoid Galgary and Edmonton. These cities are the pits, they have great freeways until you hit the town and them you are stuck in traffic. I do not understand they spend billions to build the freeway but forgot to the bypass.
We have met a lot of good people on the road to Alaska. It is an unwriten law that if someone brakes down stop and offer asistance you never know when your may come up.
Regards Russell

RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote