Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Goffstown , New Hampshire
Going over the Canadian border soon...

It's our 25th anniversary and we're heading to Quebec city (KOA) for a week later this month with our 27FB Safari. Looking to spend some time in old Quebec.
Besides passports, anything else necessary to get over the border with your camper?
Anyone have a review of the Quebec KOA campground?
Thanks.
Bob
Bobdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Call your insurance agent and get a certificate for Canada for your truck ,it's free and you need it.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Start with the bus tour that leaves from the centre of town (in front of the Chateau Frontenac which is worth a look-see all on its own).

You won't regret it: the tour goes by fast (it's really a small city), lots of history fed to you, and you see all the interesting parts of town.

That way, you can make notes about where in the city you want to go back to and spend more time. Try some poutine, it's yummy: imagine french fries with gravy and cheese curds on it.

You'll love it! The town that is, I've no idea of what that KOA is like...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
There is another thread here (somewhere) that talks about: food, firearems, adult beverages, etc. There are several links there. Sorry I can't remember the name of the thread.

PS congrats on 25 years. We will hit 37 this Sept. For our 35th anniversary, a 60 and 65 birthday we bought ourselves a real "us" present. The AirStream
Have many happy trips. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rather than drive your tv across to the old city, park at Levis and ride the ferry over. It drops you off at the bottom of the city. There is a rail ride to the top (fernicular, vernicular, or something like that. I'm too trifling to look it up). But if you are able to walk, that is the very best way to get around. And the bus tour, too.

We didn't stay at the KOA, but at the Camping Transit CG just east of Levis. We recommend that one.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

1999 34' Excella
Ottawa , Ontario
Rivet

At a recent crossing I was surprised to find that Canada Customs agent asked to see my ownership papers for both my tow vehicle and the AS - so you might want to have these handy in addition to your passport. If you are travelling with a dog, have vaccination certificates available too (although they are seldom requested).

Enjoy your trip.

David

1999 Airstream Classic Excella 34
2005 Dodge Magnum RT with Hensley Arrow
WBCCI #3509
BIG_WAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It just struck me that another sight worth seeing right near Québec (the city) is the Montmorency Falls. Only 12 km (just over 7 miles) from the city, just on the other side of Beauport, named by Champlain in 1613.

That's the thing about Québec, it IS the "cradle of civilization in North America". Things were happening there way before anywhere else in N.A.

The falls are "tray bell" (trčs belles) which, if you say it to your wife, will win you major points

ps: I looked up the RV sites near Québec, and the only KOA I see is an hour to the north-east of Québec (in Saint-Nicolas, QC).

It gets good ratings, and seems to be a full-blown KOA, but there is another RV park only 30 minutes away on the South Shore (over the bridge) in Saint-Nicolas, QC that gets a better rating for "Recreation" than the KOA while getting one star less for the facilities than the KOA.

They both sound good, in other words.

It's called Camping Domaine de la Chute 418-831-1311 and it's on the web at: www.campingdomainedelachute.com I'd have a close look at that site, too. It's even a bit cheaper as the independants often are, I find. I'm betting KOA sites have a royalty to pay on each reservation. [edit: their website is "Under Construction :/ ]

I really can't recommend Woodalls enough, it's a great tool to tour with for RV camp ratings, I've never found them to be inaccurate yet.

pps: there is a RV camp in Lévis, called Camping Transit alomost as good of ratings as the other two. Look at www.campingtransit.com Lévis will be more fun to get to Québec from, since there is a boat, as was already pointed out.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Here's another active thread with more info on border crossings

Canadian border crossing questions - Page 2 - Airstream Forums
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quebec 1608.

Jamestown, VA 1607.

St Augustine, FL - 15 something.

Santa Fe, NM - 1609

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdes View Post
It's our 25th anniversary and we're heading to Quebec city (KOA) for a week later this month with our 27FB Safari. Looking to spend some time in old Quebec.
Besides passports, anything else necessary to get over the border with your camper?
Thanks.
Bob
Taking PETS??? Get their shot records before crossing.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Goffstown , New Hampshire
Thanks everyone, some good information here. No pets are coming along....
Aage, according to their website the Quebec City KOA is 15 minutes from old Quebec, which is where we're looking to visit the most. Hopefully it's accurate!
Bobdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdes View Post
Thanks.
Bob
Before we crossed with our trailer a few years back, I found that Canada required a breakaway switch (which we already had) and a warning triangle (in case of breakdown). No one ever checked that we had them, and thank god we never needed them.

They will ask about meats and potatoes, and not allow you to cross the border with them. When I was crossing back into the U.S. at the end of our trip the guy demanded that I dump my sandwich (which I was eating at the time) as it had salami in it. I wish that I had had the guts to spit it at him!! I was steaming................
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktrailer View Post
Before we crossed with our trailer a few years back, I found that Canada required a breakaway switch (which we already had) and a warning triangle (in case of breakdown). No one ever checked that we had them, and thank god we never needed them.

They will ask about meats and potatoes, and not allow you to cross the border with them. When I was crossing back into the U.S. at the end of our trip the guy demanded that I dump my sandwich (which I was eating at the time) as it had salami in it. I wish that I had had the guts to spit it at him!! I was steaming................
You had a rare one . Usually food for your own consumption is allowed , at least that's the question they have always asked us.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Quebec 1608.

Jamestown, VA 1607.

St Augustine, FL - 15 something.

Santa Fe, NM - 1609

Pat
Yabbut: from Wikipedia Quebec City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"However, Quebec City is the first to have been founded with the goal of permanent settlement, and not as a commercial outpost, and therefore is considered to be the first European-built city in non-Spanish North America."
Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Curious distinction - I wonder how all those poor people survived without commercial activity.

I guess we in the US will find that out about ourselves before long. We'll all work for the government.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
We crossed the border about a month ago sans the Airstream - but using the tow vehicle for transportation. We had our normal complement of camping gear under the fiberglass tonneau cover in the truck bed - including two Honda 2000i generators and a small air compressor. I had not declared anything as we were just taking a quick tour of Campobello Island and returning to our hotel in the U.S. later in the evening. We were told to pull over for inspection and when the Border Patrol Agent spotted the two Hondas in the truck bed he came over to caution us that we should have declared them when we went through the border. He was nice enough to say that he recognized the hoses, extension cords, and other camping paraphenalia as normal, along with the Hondas - but the fact that we didn't have anything in tow, and that we were driving a 3500 GMC Dually, is what caused the inspection stop in the first place. He said that they could legally have seized the Hondas! We often travel solo in the Dually but this was the first time we had crossed the border that way. Next time, if we aren't towing the Airstream, I plan to declare everything down to the extra hose washers, duct tape, plastic ties, etc.!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote