Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Going North to Canada

We are planning our first trip across the US/Canadian Border with our 2006 AS Classic and two dogs. Any words of wisdom about what we need as far as proof of ownership of vehicle and AS, dog vaccinations, insurance issues? I read that we need to provide proof of ownership of vehicles and my husband owns the company that owns the truck what do we need for that? Also are there any restrictions as far as bringing food items into and out of Canada? A new adventure for us for sure! We will be going to Thunderbay Ontario. Any recommendations about RV parks and things to do? THANKS!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No fresh fruit.
Passport(s)
Medical record for pets, current rabies vac.
Registration and Insurance
There are limitations on tobacco and liquor. I carton of cigarettes per person. Not sure about the booze.
Check with the Canadian Border Services.
Our trip to Canada in June, we experienced no significant problems.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
This website should help you out for most questions about coming into Canada - if not - you will be able to find a link where you can phone the Canadian Border Services Agency directly:

Non-Canadians

I think you will find that crossing back into the U.S. is a little more rigorous than crossing into Canada - remember that you will need a passport to get home - and the U.S. Border folks are always very interested in food products coming south. We now make a point to try and cross without any perishables on board - then head for the grocery store once we've cleared the U.S. border. Also - our pooch's rabies vaccination certificate has always been ready for showing - but we have never been asked to produce it - closest we got was one agent who simply asked if the dog's paperwork was in order. In the 8 or 9 years following 9/11 it was not at all unusual for the trailer to be scanned or an agent to conduct a walk-through of the trailer (mostly looking at food products) - but in the past 2 or 3 years things seem to have relaxed a bit and neither of these things have happened.

Finally - is your destination Thunder Bay? - or will you be travelling from there? - lots to see and do from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie that you can consider if that is your route.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We just drove through Canada in early July. Border crossings are never the same twice. You need passports. You will need a certificate of health for your dogs from your vet, and proof of vaccines. You cannot take firewood across the border. Fruits, veges, and meats vary. This trip we were never asked. Last trip a few years ago we were asked coming back into the US.
They may or may not inspect your trailer, esp. coming back in to US. They do have cameras that scan the underside of the rig as you pull up to the border crossing. If they see something weird, they'll pull you for an inspection. People in front of us from Alberta had that happen at the crossing at Ste Sault Marie. They guards were looking under the front bumper of their MH. Not a clue what they may have seen! On the way in to Canada the guard wanted to see into our back seat "looking for bodies" (her words). I bit my tongue to keep from saying we'd tossed it out on the bridge! Probably wouldn't have gone well.
They will ask on the way into Canada where your are going, how long you plan to stay, and probably how much liquor you have (there are limits, although we were over it and she never said anything).
Coming back into US, they will ask where you've been, where you stayed, how long you were in Canada, and did you buy certain items over certain limits of money. The questions vary.
We always answer honestly, cooperate with any inspections of our rig, and have never had trouble.
Chris flew into Canada once on a business trip and almost got deported for "working without a work permit". Don't mention work!
And it is a good idea to have vehicle registration, they sometimes ask for it.
Thunder Bay is beautiful and Fort Francis(?) is worth the day's visit. We haven't been there for awhile so I couldn't give you a recommendation for a park. Provincial Parks in Canada are always wonderful, though. Good luck on your trip!

Kay
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I would check, but I'm pretty sure that handguns are a no-no unless you have some kind of special permit (as in you are in the business of buying and selling them).
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
As a Niagara resident I cross regularly (this past weekend we went to the Finger Lakes)

Have all your documents in hand when you reach customs, they expect you to be ready, be polite and respectful, and tell the truth whatever they ask. I roll down all the windows in the truck so they can see in the back seat. When we reach the border I have our passports in hand and wallet(other ID cards) and vehicle ownerships on the dash. I also have the truck and trailer license plate #'s written down in case they ask, but those are also on the ownership papers. Keep the trailer keys handy incase they want to look in the trailer at the inspection booth.

Always cross in to Canada with a full tank of fuel, regular gas is around $5/Gal, yesterday I paid $3.83 in Niagara Falls NY.

What route are you taking?
If you are coming through Niagara and up through Toronto I can recommend some great things to see and do, and places to stay. Canada is a beautiful country!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I would check, but I'm pretty sure that handguns are a no-no unless you have some kind of special permit (as in you are in the business of buying and selling them).

That's a good point I often forget,
DO NOT BRING ANY FIREARMS IN TO OUR COUNTRY,
it will be too much paperwork and trouble at customs, and you won't need them, Canada is a safe place
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Might also be helpful to know when your trip is planned - if you are planning a fall trip it is worth knowing that a lot of Northern Ontario Provincial Parks close on or shortly after the Labour Day weekend with only a few open till the Canadian Thanksgiving Day weekend in October. This website will help you with their operating dates:

Welcome to Ontario Parks

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It has been said before but the the point can't be made strongly enough: Do Not Bring Guns - it will raise an eyebrow, or even two, at the border.

Thunder Bay itself isn't much to write home about - it's a town that's been declining for some time - but the surrounding area is stunning. Lake Superior is just wonderful.

As far as RV Parks are concerned, highly recommend Camp and RV on iTunes for iPhone or the google Play Market for Android. Reviews, maps, directions, phone numbers, it's all there.

The Sleeping Giant Provincial Park is well worth a visit, or even a stay.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

Thunder Bay itself isn't much to write home about - it's a town that's been declining for some time .....

Holy smoke Andy - not to hijack this thread but that statement can't go unchallenged.

I guess everyone has their own point of view that lead to their own conclusions but if I were to make my own assessment of Thunder Bay I'd say that the city weathered the economic downturn rather well - in fact better off than most - lots of new building going on including a complete rebuilding of the waterfront - the central retail area is growing - the housing market is overheated - and the city remains vibrant with a wide range of cultural and outdoor activities and it continues to recognize and grow its role as a regional hub for services to all of Northwestern Ontario (most recently working to position itself to benefit from the Ring of Fire).

Not only is Thunder Bay a great place to visit as part of a regional holiday - it is a great place to live as well.

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post

Not only is Thunder Bay a great place to visit as part of a regional holiday - it is a great place to live as well.

Jay
And if I'm not mistaken, the home of Paul Shaffer? Behind the comedy, that guy is a musical genius!

Oh - and to stay on topic, don't bring Cuban cigars from Canada in to the US.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
It has been said before but the the point can't be made strongly enough: Do Not Bring Guns - it will raise an eyebrow, or even two, at the border..
This is a vast understatement. Bringing guns to Canada will- at the very least- mean criminal charges, confiscation of the weapons, and a very large fine. Depending on it they're in your vehicle or trailer, than can be confiscated too. You could face jail time. You can't get a permit for handguns as canadians find it very difficult. Please leave firearms at home.
Poodle, whippet, and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You may, however, carry a concealed potato peeler.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
As with many US laws, the fine print includes exceptions for various scenarios, but be advised that weapons are more strictly controlled north of the border. Visitors bringing firearms into Canada, or planning to borrow and use firearms while in Canada, are required to declare the firearms in writing using a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form so it is possible to carry a firearm across the border with sufficient preparation.

Paperwork can be found at these links -
Authorization to Transport:
Transporting Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Firearm Declaration Form:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...e/pdfs/909.pdf

In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons (certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons) in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler's return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada if you are unsure about compliance. Be aware that all weapons confiscated at the border are NEVER returned even if taken mistakenly.

Canada has three classes of firearms: non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

Non-Restricted - Most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns. These may be brought temporarily into Canada for sporting or hunting use during hunting season, for use in competition, for in-transit movement through Canada, or for personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada.

Restricted -Primarily handguns; however, pepper spray and mace are also included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer.

Get your paperwork in order before border arrival and behave according to the rules and all will be fine! You won't be criminally charged or have your approved firearm seized.