Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I think 6 nights between these 3 parks really isn't enough to do them justice. Since Yellowstone and the Tetons are much closer together, maybe save Glacier for another trip? Yellowstone NP is huge, and posted speed limits are low, meaning it can take a very long time to drive around the park. Most of the neat thermal features are on the west side. I would suggest revs. for Yellowstone as the park is so popular during the summer. Colter Bay CG in the Tetons apparently doesn't fill up, but early birds do get the campground worms so far as camping in or near national parks, in our experience.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
Swanstreaming

2014 28' International
Zionsville , Indiana
Send a message via Skype™ to swan
I appreciate the detailed info on the parks. Wasn't really looking for commentary on the overall planning of our trip. We have reasons for the limitation.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I lived in Montana and spent time in all of these parks. I agree with the advice you are getting here on your planned split of 6 days between these parks being too short. They are all spectacular and very interesting places to see. If you hit Glacier, you will want to see the a East side of the park as it has more grand scenery but there is a fair amount of driving to get there as you need to then go south to get westward again as you can't drive the going to the sun road with a trailer. At a minimum, I would target 3 days in the Grand Tetons, 4 days in Yellowstone and 6 days in Glacier and maybe do 4 on the east side and 2 on the west side with a planned 1/2 day driving from east to west. Yellowstone is a large park and you will want to do day trips to visit all of the geologic wonders of the park and take in the scenery. Do get out and walk to the sites to take in what is to be seen. All of these parks are fantastic and very interesting. The mountains and lakes in Grand Teton and Glacier are unbelievably majestic. Good luck with your trip planning. I would plan on staying In Yellowstone and in a grand Teton rather than between the two as the drive into Yellowstone is a long one.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I don't think this info will help swan, but for anyone else reading this thread... the west side of Glacier is closer to where we live, so most of our visits are to this area. One of our favourite activities is to drop the Bambi in the CG, then drive up to Bowman or Kintla Lake. The road is long and bumpy, but the scenery is gorgeous and the lakes are great for canoeing or kayaking.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I don't think this info will help swan, but for anyone else reading this thread... the west side of Glacier is closer to where we live, so most of our visits are to this area. One of our favourite activities is to drop the Bambi in the CG, then drive up to Bowman or Kintla Lake. The road is long and bumpy, but the scenery is gorgeous and the lakes are great for canoeing or kayaking.
I second this recommendation. It is a dirt road and narrow at points so somewhat slow going but Bowman is beautiful. When we were there last summer we saw lots of folks bring kayaks up and row to the other side of the lake. There also are walking trails here along the side of the lake. Beautiful trip and goes right by Polson where you can stop for fresh baked goods and draft beer. Perfect day trip.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Last summer we stayed in all 3 parks and enjoyed our stay. Three days is enough for Yellowstone. stay at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone, MT its 2 miles from the west entrance and a very nice park. Fishing bridge RV park is not nice. its nothing more than a big parking lot. The Teton are magnificent, Coulter bay village is one of the nicest parks we stayed in on our trip. Flag Ranch is a dusty dump of a campground. You need 3 days at west glacier. We stayed in Hungry Horse, MT
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
My honest opinion is to distribute the nights such that you pick one of the three and go entirely with it - unless you know for some reason you are not likely to return to the area. Especially if you do any hiking/backpacking/tent camping and use your Airstream as a base camp within any of these three, you can easily slip past the crowds and enter zones of unimaginable beauty and serenity where even six days in one place is only scratching the surface.

Enjoy whatever option you choose, Swan.

Ian
Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
Heading to Yellowstone today where lots of snow has fallen and temperatures are below freezing. Lots of sites open (haha) at Fishing Bridge. Would like to hear from anyone who has done this in their Airstream regarding water lines and pipes being okay if we keep the heat on. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We live there all summer (arrive Friday). If the overnight is going to be below freezing, fill your internal tank, disconnect your hose and drain it. Use the internal in the morning. Your furnace will keep the tanks from freezing. Propane is available down the block at the FB gas station if you need it.

While it may be cold, my colleagues tell me there are lots of critters running around; you should have a great visit!

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
I haven't been there in my Airstream, but when I was there in mid June we woke up to snow on the ground one morning. You're up in the Rockies and it can freeze overnight any time of year.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
Thank you! We are here and have done what you suggested. It is going below freezing tonight. Much appreciated!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Agree....Glacier needs more time...Yellowstone, Tetons, and don't forget Banff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I lived in Montana and spent time in all of these parks. I agree with the advice you are getting here on your planned split of 6 days between these parks being too short. They are all spectacular and very interesting places to see. If you hit Glacier, you will want to see the a East side of the park as it has more grand scenery but there is a fair amount of driving to get there as you need to then go south to get westward again as you can't drive the going to the sun road with a trailer. At a minimum, I would target 3 days in the Grand Tetons, 4 days in Yellowstone and 6 days in Glacier and maybe do 4 on the east side and 2 on the west side with a planned 1/2 day driving from east to west. Yellowstone is a large park and you will want to do day trips to visit all of the geologic wonders of the park and take in the scenery. Do get out and walk to the sites to take in what is to be seen. All of these parks are fantastic and very interesting. The mountains and lakes in Grand Teton and Glacier are unbelievably majestic. Good luck with your trip planning. I would plan on staying In Yellowstone and in a grand Teton rather than between the two as the drive into Yellowstone is a long one.
I also was raised in MT; we have a cabin there now, and are back each summer for 4 months where we travel to the parks and stay 3-4 days typically per visit....Sealy Lake area, is awesome...many lakes in a row, on the way to Glacier from highway 200...we stay in Yellowstone in the fall which is great time...elk, colors, etc.. but you might consider staying in the Teton's anytime vs Yellowstone; there is a great campground only 5 miles from the park entrance to Yellowstone Lizard Creek; campsites are bigger, it is on the lake, and you can enjoy both parks...just need to get there early in morning to snag a site....first come/first served...also great fishing there below the dam.

We do Glacier each year at least 2 times...both East and West are great, and I think Two Medicine is also great. Since you can not drive through (pulling a trailer) on the Sun Highway, you will have to drive by Two Medicine going around the park with trailer; Two Medicine is a great place to camp also. We love Many Glacier/Swift Current area...last year one weekend, we saw 13 bears! If you go, you must hike around, take the lake boat across the lake to Lake Grinnel, or hike...awesome and not obvious, unless you ask local folks. I will also say, just a few hours further is Banff Canada! Two Jack Lake campground.... Wow!! and only a mile or so from Banff (very international feel)...

Hard to beat Glacier, but Banff is nice...Lake Louise, white water rafting, hot springs...If I had one to pick, it would still be Glacier....(or Banff...or Yellowstone...or Grand Tetons...!) Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I also was raised in MT; we have a cabin there now, and are back each summer for 4 months where we travel to the parks and stay 3-4 days typically per visit....Sealy Lake area, is awesome...many lakes in a row, on the way to Glacier from highway 200...we stay in Yellowstone in the fall which is great time...elk, colors, etc.. but you might consider staying in the Teton's anytime vs Yellowstone; there is a great campground only 5 miles from the park entrance to Yellowstone Lizard Creek; campsites are bigger, it is on the lake, and you can enjoy both parks...just need to get there early in morning to snag a site....first come/first served...also great fishing there below the dam.

We do Glacier each year at least 2 times...both East and West are great, and I think Two Medicine is also great. Since you can not drive through (pulling a trailer) on the Sun Highway, you will have to drive by Two Medicine going around the park with trailer; Two Medicine is a great place to camp also. We love Many Glacier/Swift Current area...last year one weekend, we saw 13 bears! If you go, you must hike around, take the lake boat across the lake to Lake Grinnel, or hike...awesome and not obvious, unless you ask local folks. I will also say, just a few hours further is Banff Canada! Two Jack Lake campground.... Wow!! and only a mile or so from Banff (very international feel)...

Hard to beat Glacier, but Banff is nice...Lake Louise, white water rafting, hot springs...If I had one to pick, it would still be Glacier....(or Banff...or Yellowstone...or Grand Tetons...!) Enjoy!
GypsyDad - great advice! We always camp en route to Glacier in the Seeley area. We stayed at the Placid Lake Campground last year and really enjoyed it. Sites are reservable, smallish campground, waterfront sites available, good swimming access. You do have to drive a dirt road for approx 2 miles to get there but as long as you take it slow, it is fine. Ah Banff and Lake Louise - don't get me started! They are spectacular too. I also second the recommendation on hiking to The Lake Grinnell and then taking the boat back. We had lunch on that lake last year and a bull moose emerged from the trees behind us and swam across the lake. We didn't even hear him emerge. Amazing! Do bring your bear spray if you are going to hike - last year we saw lots of black and grizzly bears in the park. I am jealous if you have a cabin in MT!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
MT lakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
GypsyDad - great advice! We always camp en route to Glacier in the Seeley area. We stayed at the Placid Lake Campground last year and really enjoyed it. Sites are reservable, smallish campground, waterfront sites available, good swimming access. You do have to drive a dirt road for approx 2 miles to get there but as long as you take it slow, it is fine. Ah Banff and Lake Louise - don't get me started! They are spectacular too. I also second the recommendation on hiking to The Lake Grinnell and then taking the boat back. We had lunch on that lake last year and a bull moose emerged from the trees behind us and swam across the lake. We didn't even hear him emerge. Amazing! Do bring your bear spray if you are going to hike - last year we saw lots of black and grizzly bears in the park. I am jealous if you have a cabin in MT!
We do Placid every year also...nice; Holland lake was in top 10 US last year in Sunset...we stayed there also...very nice. There are several more around Flathead which we are told are very nice too...too short life....enjoy while you can...MT rocks!