Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Glacier...awww...my most favorite place on earth. If you don't need electrical hook up all the time both Many Glacier and Two Medicine are amazing places to camp. Both places have amazing hiking opportunities. You could spend a week at Many Glacier and still not see what it has to offer.

I have been to Waterton. I thought it was a major let down. All that drive and then...what a let down. It is like a regular town. It is not like our national parks at all. Yes the Prince George is an amazing hotel with a great view, but to me getting away from it all is not going to a kitchy town with lots of stores that all contain the same kitchy things. Imagine a bunch of Wall Drugs all in one place. Okay, its not that tacky.

But I would recommend staying in the park. The wildlife is great. When we were there two years ago it was Bear-o-rama. We saw all kinds of wildlife, and if we need a bit of civilization, we would go to the lodge, watch the Cabaret, and sip a beer on the deck overlooking amazing mountain/water views.

If you want a good site in Many Glacier or Two Medicine you must get there early, by 9:00am. People will start driving around and circling at 7:00am waiting for people to leave.

Also parts of the road on the east side between Sunrise and Two Medicine is 1 1/2 lane, lots of curves,bumpy, rutted and full of cows. Oh, but so worth it.

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Thumbs up What time of year

What time of year were you there? I will be going in the last week of June, so I am hoping it will be a little easier to find a site.

At two medacine were there enough sites large enough to accomidate a 19 footer and a full size truck? Were the streets paved or gravel, and was the wind so bad that you could not sit outside in the evening?

Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
There are a lot of sites in all the camp grounds in Glacier that are pull throughs. I've seen 5th wheelers that seem more like a house pull into sites there.

I've been in June, but that year they had a great deal of snow. We hiked through snow on most trails. But this summer it might be different.

If you hiking is what you love, hike with a ranger on one of their daily hikes. They do this at Many Glacier and Two Medicine. The rangers are a wealth of information on natural history and botany. Most are teachers in the off season. Another cool thing at Many Glacier is at 6:00 every evening a ranger sits in the parking lot with a scope. Others in the campground with scopes hang out too. This is the way to see a grizzly safely. :-)

We always seem to be between mid-July to late August. And I don't ever recall a wind but once. It came up at night and I thought my tent was going to fly away into the creek. I have been lucky to not have experienced rain or cold while visiting the park.

We have friends who live on the west side of the park, 15 miles N of Polebridge. Those are the only gravel roads in the park. Now if you feel like a day of adventure with the truck, go have a beer at the Northern Lights in Polebridge. An hour of bumpy rutted gravel roads from Columbia Falls! If you encounter gravel elsewhere it is due to road work.

On the East side of the park, the road that connects East Glacier to Kiowa (49) is the road that is very tight and sometimes rough. Its paved and littered with livestock. This is a stretch of land that skirts the reservation.

Take a Jammer! This is the best way to go over Going to the Sun Road. You can gauk and leave the driving to someone else.

Sorry for the novel! I love this place.
Kathleen
Old 05-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
For full hook-ups Johnson's of St. Mary is nice, if not a little funky. Pull thoughs with a grand view on the first row. They have a cafe on site that makes very good home made soup and bread. The rest of the fare wasn't all that bad either.

You NEED more than a drivers license to get to Waterton. You need proof you are an American. Passport works great. Jamie
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #19
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Campcollector -

I note in your post that you're headed for Glacier in the last week in June. Though I'm a bit late in getting this nailed down, I hope to do so also. I'm curious about campgrounds, and have read the posts on your thread. Where did you chose to stay? Any others look good to you? We had decided to try to book at Mountain Meadow CG in Hungry Horse; now having read the thread, it even sounds better.

We are in Hillsboro - perhaps 50 miles closer to Glacier than you are! We have a 1992 29' Excella - some of the CG's would take a shoehorn to squeeze us in.

Have any other suggestions for first-timers to Glacier?

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Campgrounds

At this time I think I will camp at Two Medicine for the entire stay, it is first come first serve like many of the campgrounds. Even though It doesnt have hookups it does have a dump station and water. I wanted to camp inside the park. And since I am takeing my father with us we can use his golden age pass and save $$. Im thinking the cost of diesel for the trip will be about 500-600 dollars. We will bring a small generator and I have a new blue tote tank I can use for grey water, we will be putting FSC to the test. If things go poorly I guess I can try and find a full hookup campground in east glacier. I just dont' care for private parks, I like the national park campgrounds.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Glacier Park

CampCollector; Look at the following website; www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm During the Summer I spend most of my time trail running in Glacier so I know the Park pretty good. If you e-mail me your phone number I'll call with with all the details- I am not good at typing! I am heading to the park on the next Sunny weekend to ride my mountain bike on the Going to Sun Road before it opens to car traffic. My e-mail address is glacierrunner@adelphia.net I am looking for a used 19 foot Bambi so I can spend even more time in the Park. Happy Trails, Don
Old 05-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Oh, I think you will be so happy at Two Medicine. I'm glad to hear you prefer the beauty of a national park site. Hungry Horse is great if you want all the amenities of home, pool, tv, largest maze in the world, and hey, not too far from Costco! But the true beauty of Glacier lies on the trails and in the back country. The creek is great to do a little washing up in, but the rangers get a little uppity if you swim with the dogs in the lake. Not sure why, they just were. If you have the stamina, do the loop trail, campground, to Old Man Lake, around the pass and back down into Two Medicine. It is a day's outing, but the pay off of views into the untouched is amazing. Make sure you have beer chilling for the return and the cool water of the creek or lake to soak your tired feet in.

Kathleen
Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Still waiting to hear about how the trip went. Was the weather good? Hiking good? pictures? Were the bears good?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Still waiting to hear about how the trip went. Was the weather good? Hiking good? pictures? Were the bears good?
Jonathan.....you can see we all need a closure on how your trip went when you get caught up

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #25
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Well, until we here from Jonathan ... just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that Petunia and I arrived here two days ago. We'll be here for 2 weeks ... taking in all the glorious sights.

We just missed getting caught in the big fire on US-90 by a few hours ... what a mess! Very dry and hot here.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Toung twister......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Don't forget to obtain a Canadian non-resident interprovincial motor vehicle liability insurance card from your insurer.

Gee ... that was a mouthful.
Allriiiightt Porky! Betcha' ya' can't say that five times real fast.

GOD bless>
Terry
Old 08-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Post update

We had some good weather on the west side but lightning storms on the east side. The road was open so we took a guided red bus tour, well worth it. I found than my coach batteries were at the end of there life span so replaced them upon returning to Oregon. We had no problems finding campsites in glacier. 3 nights at Apgar and 2 nights at two medacine. I think I will need to return a few more times to get in the whole park. I wanted to avoid crowds and I did but the weather was a little crummy. I might shoot for September next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 168_6_1_1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	13828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 131_3_1_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	13829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 173_5_1_1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	13830  
Old 08-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Update from Glacier N.P. ...

We hung around the Lake McDonald area today ... the park being very crowded ... we got a late start and waited forever to get in. Tried to go up to Avalanche for a brief hike ... but was so crowded we backed off.

Very hot today ... 91 degrees ... so we cooled our heels at the Lodge. The sky was pretty hazy still from the fires to the south ... hopefully conditions will be better tomorrow and everyone will go home and leave the park to just us.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote