Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Glacier Park

CampCollector; Look at the following website; www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm During the Summer I spend most of my time trail running in Glacier so I know the Park pretty good. If you e-mail me your phone number I'll call with with all the details- I am not good at typing! I am heading to the park on the next Sunny weekend to ride my mountain bike on the Going to Sun Road before it opens to car traffic. My e-mail address is glacierrunner@adelphia.net I am looking for a used 19 foot Bambi so I can spend even more time in the Park. Happy Trails, Don
glacierrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Oh, I think you will be so happy at Two Medicine. I'm glad to hear you prefer the beauty of a national park site. Hungry Horse is great if you want all the amenities of home, pool, tv, largest maze in the world, and hey, not too far from Costco! But the true beauty of Glacier lies on the trails and in the back country. The creek is great to do a little washing up in, but the rangers get a little uppity if you swim with the dogs in the lake. Not sure why, they just were. If you have the stamina, do the loop trail, campground, to Old Man Lake, around the pass and back down into Two Medicine. It is a day's outing, but the pay off of views into the untouched is amazing. Make sure you have beer chilling for the return and the cool water of the creek or lake to soak your tired feet in.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Still waiting to hear about how the trip went. Was the weather good? Hiking good? pictures? Were the bears good?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Still waiting to hear about how the trip went. Was the weather good? Hiking good? pictures? Were the bears good?
Jonathan.....you can see we all need a closure on how your trip went when you get caught up

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #25
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Well, until we here from Jonathan ... just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that Petunia and I arrived here two days ago. We'll be here for 2 weeks ... taking in all the glorious sights.

We just missed getting caught in the big fire on US-90 by a few hours ... what a mess! Very dry and hot here.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Toung twister......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Don't forget to obtain a Canadian non-resident interprovincial motor vehicle liability insurance card from your insurer.

Gee ... that was a mouthful.
Allriiiightt Porky! Betcha' ya' can't say that five times real fast.

GOD bless>
Terry
Terry C. Tullier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Post update

We had some good weather on the west side but lightning storms on the east side. The road was open so we took a guided red bus tour, well worth it. I found than my coach batteries were at the end of there life span so replaced them upon returning to Oregon. We had no problems finding campsites in glacier. 3 nights at Apgar and 2 nights at two medacine. I think I will need to return a few more times to get in the whole park. I wanted to avoid crowds and I did but the weather was a little crummy. I might shoot for September next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 168_6_1_1.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	13828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 131_3_1_1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	13829  

Name:	Vacation 2005 Glacier 173_5_1_1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	13830  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Update from Glacier N.P. ...

We hung around the Lake McDonald area today ... the park being very crowded ... we got a late start and waited forever to get in. Tried to go up to Avalanche for a brief hike ... but was so crowded we backed off.

Very hot today ... 91 degrees ... so we cooled our heels at the Lodge. The sky was pretty hazy still from the fires to the south ... hopefully conditions will be better tomorrow and everyone will go home and leave the park to just us.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 08-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Waterton Park, Keep an eye open for grizzlies on the drive into the park. In 2000, I saw one sitting on the shoulder of the road and two up on a sidehill. Be sure to walk through the lobby of the Prince of Wales Hotel, the huge wood Tudor structure shown recently on the Lexus commercials. Several good places to eat in Waterton. If you have time, take the boat cruise to the US end of the lake and back. If not, catch one of the cruises on the Glacier Park lakes. Boats were built in 1926 by a builder at Flathead Lake, MT and have been in operation ever since. The evening cruise on Lake McDonald is great. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #30
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
I suspect it may be a while before we get Jonathan's update...

It is the peak of the season on the Oregon Coast, with nearly every motel room and campground full every night, from now through Labor Day.

For anyone who's going to be in the area later this fall, there is a forums rally at the Oregon State Park at Beverly Beach in October (this is the park where Camp Collector spends his time when not on the road). More info at
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=17095

BTW, the lodge at East Glacier mentioned earlier is a great place to visit and dine. We took Amtrak there several years ago and had a great time.

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #31
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Nice update and great pictures. The lodge is a great place to visit.

We were there several years ago in September (third week of the month) - warm days, cool nights. The one thing I remember...the town of East Glacier was shutting down for the winter. They picked up all the rental cars...the lodge restaurant was down to just a few selections on the menu (they were closing the next day)...and everthing was on sale at the local grocery (even the beer!). We took the train so we didn't have our trailer...wish I could have stocked up on the Montana Brown Nut Ale.

You would want to confirm the schedule up there before heading out in September.

See you in October at Beverly Beach forums rally!

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #32
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreExcella
...wish I could have stocked up on the Montana Brown Nut Ale.
I've discovered that Montana has some exceptional breweries. Currently enjoying a glass of Moose Drool Brown Ale.

Foy anyone who is interested ... Petunia and I have updated our website for Glacier Park ... it is 4 pages long ... so be sure to click the "Next" button at the bottom of each page. Some panoramas are also included.

Heres the direct link to the page ... http://www.trailergypsies.com/Montana/Glacier%20NP.htm

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #33
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Beautiful photography! Thanks for sharing.

Wow haven't been to Glacier since the year my trailer was new, its still as beautiful as ever! Just like being in a postcard...Great pix.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
For a summer when we've had to cancel/postpone our trip to Idaho through Montana, your pix, Porky and Campcollector, make me feel on the road again. Thanks for sharing. Porky, I meandered through your panoramas: thinking about publishing a travel photo journey? I think you have the pics and the stories to make a good sellable book ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Porky I have never seen Glacier so green! My parents said that when they visited in July they were shocked at how green it was, I believe them now. You captured my favorite place on earth beautifully with you panaramas.

Kathleen
Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Montana, St Mary's and Many Glacier campgrounds questions

I have a few questions for those who have been to these two campgrounds in Glacier.

We have a 25 classic for equipment.

We like to have views from the campsites, tall order I know but do either of these Campgrounds have views from the sites or campground itself for those relaxing mornings and evenings?

Are the sites dirt, rock , asphalt?
Sites level?
Fire rings?

OR

Are there any other campsites in the park or forestry that one can recommend that does?

Someone posted the roads were a little rough on the east side of the park. Rough? I guess if someone could expand on that such as rock , potholes , low overhanging trees? I like adventure but I also love my trailer and wouldn't want to put it through an off road adventure!

Thanks Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Pappy, we camped at Many Glacier two summers ago, pulling our 30' Airstream with our truck. Roads? Turning off the N/S highway toward the campground was reasonably rough. Remember the winters these roads endure! We had heard terrible reports of the road, but did not find it difficult to drive or hard on the AS. You follow along a rushing mountain river much of the way. Nothing was bounced off counters or beds or out of drawers when we finally set up camp so I think that speaks for a "reasonable" drive. The view from within the campground was mostly "up." Many Glacier CG is mostly compressed in the valley, with high rock walls that can be seen towering nearby. We had a pull through site, level, screened from other sites with trees/shrubs. The main draw here for most people is the hiking available. We found Many Glacier very relaxing and would stay there again in a heartbeat~to be camping within such a magnificent national park. Enjoy it when you go!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Pappy,
We camped at Fish Creek on the west side and got rained out. We found this CG to be tight and not much room to manuver into spaces. The sites were also not level. On the way out, we asked the ranger for suggestions.....and she said you have to see Many Glacier CG on the east side......so that's wher we went. The following pics are of our campsite at Many Glacier. There were numerous views of the mountains and streams around from our site. The sites were level and of cinder rock (no mud). Ours was a pull thru and easy in/out. I would highly recommend Many Glacier. The As MaxandGeorgia said, the road in was bumpy in spots, but not a real problem....but things could have changed since 6/05. Even the dump station has a great view!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3472sm copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	18266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3506sm.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	18267  

Name:	DSCN3517sm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	18268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3499sm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	18269  

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jim & Cheryl, I think we must have had the same campsite! Maybe Pappy will have the good fortune to nab it too Did you see other Airstreams when you were there? We found five or six, several great vintage smalls, one of whom rescued us with his Honda Generator when we ran out of battery power boondocking. Airstreamers are the nicest people. We have since bought our own Honda 2000, ready to make it on our own now, we hope! I wonder how many forum people will be heading to Glacier this summer? ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Jim & Cheryl, I think we must have had the same campsite! Maybe Pappy will have the good fortune to nab it too Did you see other Airstreams when you were there? We found five or six, several great vintage smalls, one of whom rescued us with his Honda Generator when we ran out of battery power boondocking. Airstreamers are the nicest people. We have since bought our own Honda 2000, ready to make it on our own now, we hope! I wonder how many forum people will be heading to Glacier this summer? ~G
G,
No we didn't see any other AS's......but we were there early in the summer (June 10th) and they hadn't even opened up the Many Glacier Lodge yet. There were only a handful of campers at that time.....and fortunately we had our generator with us (Honda 3000). I would like to go back in the fall to see the tree colors and explore more of the park. The "Going to the Sun" road was closed about 5 miles up d/t rock slides, so we didn't get to see that either ! We did buy bear bells to take on our hikes (don't think it really helps), but what the hey, you never know what lurks out there !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3505sm.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	18271  

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538