Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Glacier Camping options

We're heading towards Glacier in 2 or 3 weeks, anyone have any campground reccomendations? Looking for a place that can handle big rigs with full hookups.......

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
We stayed at Mountain Meadow RV Park - back in 2007 - nice place - and convenient to the national park. They accommodate big rigs and have hook-ups.
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Hamilton , Montana
Mountain View RV Park- more info »
3621 Mt Highway 40 W, Columbia Falls, MT‎ - (406) 892-2500‎
Nice people, and reasonable!
Montique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Have you guys ever tried to dry camp? Glacier is a great place to just tuck into.

Many Glacier and Two Medicine are great experiences.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We drove right by any number of private, full hookup campgrounds during two weeks we spent at Glacier last fall. I'd never stay at any of them if I could help it.

Plenty of options with shade (to avoid the need for air conditioning) are available at Apgar, Two Medicine or Many Glacier. We stayed away from the brushy, open campground at St. Mary's and I'm glad we did. I think that would be pretty hot in the summer. We checked out all Glacier N.P. campgrounds and these four are the only choices with more than one or two sites for a full-sized trailer.

I'd most strongly recommend staying at Waterton Lakes Townsite Campground too. That and Many Glacier were absolutely supreme experiences!

Our favorite meals? The sweet potato fries at Two Sisters near Babb were great. Makes a burger basket a totally new experience. By far the best meal we had was ordering a la carte in the bar at Belton Chalet in West Glacier (avoiding the fancy sit-down dining room).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
And BTW -- going from east side of Glacer to Lake McDonald (or vice versa) -- really, really avoid MT-49. It is posted against vehicles/tows longer than 25' and deservedly so -- many tight switchbacks with no shoulder. Go through Browning to get from east-to-west or west-to-east.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
We just stayed at Mountain Meadow and enjoyed it.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
If on the way you are going through Billings, Montana, just ten miles west of Billings, there is a campground on the Yellowstone river just a half mile south of Laurel. Riverside campground isn't well known (call Laurel chamber of commerce for info).
P.S. We have a farm market just another 1 mile south of there on the road to Yellowstone. Stop in if you want to stay free and rough it, Electricity by the barn.
Greg and Les
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Thanks to all for all the great info.....We'll check these out.....

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Glacier

I am from Montana and was up in Glacier again last year. If you can get a spot/reservation, I'd highly suggest the Many Glacier area - it is absolutely stunning - although you do have to be bear safe in your food prep/cleanup. Lots of grizzlies in this area. We saw several foraging for food right outside the hill next to Many Glacier hotel when we were there.

I also second the comment on the road to the sun highway - not a good idea with a trailer. Tight and twisty and many signs warning against it.

Summer is busy so see if you can somehow find reservations! We also stayed in the national forest campground on Lake McDonald (If I recall the name) and there were some RVs there - it was walking distance to the lake and lots of trees. I'd opt for that over the RV parks in the area if you can stand boondocking. We swam in the lake every evening and it was heaven!

You will love it - absolutely spectacular place. Drive north on some rough dirt roads from Lake McDonald and you will get to some very remote lakes and pretty much have them to yourselves.

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I have been in the St. Mary's campground on the east side of the park for close to two weeks now. None of the park campgrounds have hookups. There is a KOA in the village of St. Mary. I'm sure it's expensive, but if you have to have hookups it might be for you.

I would not try to take your trailer to the Many Glacier Campground without driving through it first. It's an incredible area, but most of the campsites are for small rv's.

Glacier is beautiful and well worth a visit. There are wildflowers and waterfalls everywhere. Logan Pass still has snow, but it's melting fast.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Anything longer than about 25 is not only recommended against, but is forbidden and foolish. There are many, many places where you would have to be in the opposite lane to keep from hitting the rock wall.

How many tourists would be willing to back up while.....?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
We drove right by any number of private, full hookup campgrounds during two weeks we spent at Glacier last fall. I'd never stay at any of them if I could help it.

Plenty of options with shade (to avoid the need for air conditioning) are available at Apgar, Two Medicine or Many Glacier. We stayed away from the brushy, open campground at St. Mary's and I'm glad we did. I think that would be pretty hot in the summer. We checked out all Glacier N.P. campgrounds and these four are the only choices with more than one or two sites for a full-sized trailer.

I'd most strongly recommend staying at Waterton Lakes Townsite Campground too. That and Many Glacier were absolutely supreme experiences!

Our favorite meals? The sweet potato fries at Two Sisters near Babb were great. Makes a burger basket a totally new experience. By far the best meal we had was ordering a la carte in the bar at Belton Chalet in West Glacier (avoiding the fancy sit-down dining room).
I second Canoes recommendations about Two Medicine (although we only visited for a few hours without trailer but loved the remote location) and hiked a trail while there. We stayed at the big campground at Lake Macdonald. Nice and easy to get around from there. We did continue up to Watertown Lakes townsite Campground which was one of our favorite parts of the trip. Crossing into Canada and experiencing the feeling of being at the top of the Glacier National park was fantastic. It is worth the extra drive.

The first photo is looking west towards Two Medicines.The campground IS there!

The second is looking down at the Watertown town campground after a hike up a trail that starts at the visitor center heading into town. Amazing. There is a day trip boat ride that will take you up the lake. That would be worthwhile.

Oh, I almost forgot our only bear photos while out west...also from Watertown.

Good luck!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier 001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	106232   Click image for larger version

Name:	watertown, CN 001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	106233  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bears 002.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	106234  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We were at Glacier NP about 3 weeks ago. We stayed at the KOA at St Mary's. Full hookups, no charge showers, pool, hot tub, and surrounded by the mountains of Glacier NP. The staff at the KOA was excellent.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

Did you camp at Many Glacier with your 25 footer? We have a 23 FB and are thinking of taking it to Glacier this summer and would love to camp there if it will fit. Are there a fair number of spots at the "Many Glacier" CG that will take a 23-25 footer plus tow vehicle?
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
West Glacier KOA

We stayed at the KOA in West Glacier. It's a bit pricey but wow what a great experience.

It had to be one of the nicest resort style KOA's in the country. The owners and their staff are outstanding. They have pull throughs with lawns and you are only 10 minutes to the park.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote