Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Gillette, WY to Dawson Creek, B.C.

Looking for road information. I believe the distance is somewhere around 1300 miles and I am trying to get an estimate on the driving time to get there and the type of roads. Also would like some recommendations for traveling between Calgary and Dawson Creek. Sure would like to take a scenic route but think it would take to long. Its difficult to judge the distance and time required. We have 10 to driver from Gillette to Dawson Creek.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
I'll jump in here as I have driven that road many times....

You will want to cross into Canada in southern Alberta at Sweetgrass MT. From there head to Calgary. I think its HWY #4 and then #2 into Calgary.

If you want to see a bit of the mountains leave Calgary and head west to Banff. From Banff drive north to Jasper on HWY #93. These are both two of the finest National Parks we have in Canada. It is well worth the effort to see them.

Once you leave Jasper, take the main road that heads to Edmonton AB (HWY#16). Just as you drive out of the mountains you will intersect with HWY#40 taking you north to Grand Cash and Grand Prairie. Once in Grand Prairie turn west again on hwy# 43 and it will take you right into Dawson Creek.

This is a very good drive and not one that will give you any trouble towing an AS. All there roads are fine and you should not have any problems at all.

If you have any more questions or need any further info just drop me a post of a PM and I will try my best to help out.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Check a local bookstore for a copy of the Alaska Milepost. I've driven this rout a few times also and find the Milepost to be quite helpful.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you'd like a more scenic route up to Calgary, you might consider leaving I-15 north of Great Falls to take US 89 to the border, then Alberta 2 to Calgary. You'll see more mountains that way, and if you've got the time to spare, it'll give you a great opportunity to visit Glacier NP in the US and/or Waterton NP in Canada. I've never been to Waterton, but Glacier is simply amazing, and Going-to-the-Sun Road must be seen to be believed. I'll also second Arcticfox's endorsement of Banff.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Looking for road information. I believe the distance is somewhere around 1300 miles and I am trying to get an estimate on the driving time to get there and the type of roads. Also would like some recommendations for traveling between Calgary and Dawson Creek. Sure would like to take a scenic route but think it would take to long. Its difficult to judge the distance and time required. We have 10 to driver from Gillette to Dawson Creek.
We are also aiming to get to Dawsons Creek in early July and have decided to make the relatively minor detour from Calgary to Banff and then take the Icefields Parkway North to Jasper stopping at Tunnel Mountain in the South and Hinton in the North and then on to Dawsons Creek via Grande Prairie in one leg. I have never attended it but I notice that the Calgary Stampede is in full swing in this period and I guess it could make finding preferred stopping places a little trickier.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Hi Martin - your right - the stampede in Calgary is normally in early July so you will bump right into it. That said, the city goes crazy, and normally there is no hotel accommodations for about an hour around Calgary.
That said - you have your accommodation right behind you and that might put a different slant on things as you will be very self contained. I don't think you will find camping near Stampede Park, but you might get lucky surrounding areas. It would definitely be worth looking into as the Stampede is worth the stop. One of he best Rodeos in the World and "one of the greatest shows on earth"

If I lived closer to Calgary you could stay in my back yard, but I'm a bit far away. With that in mind, we have members in the Calgary area who are members of WBCCI and it might be worth looking into the "courtesy Parking":

http://www.wbcci.org/club-informatio...=mapcb&idMap=5

Hope this helps

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Arctic fox is right on. It would be a real shame to miss the Icefields parkway. And it is a easy drive with a trailer. The whole drive is wonderful. 10 days should do it nicely.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Is the rodeo outside or inside?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fron someone who unknowingly drove through Calgary during the Stampede, avoid it unless you want to go to the rodeo. Seriously bad traffic. Calgary and Edmonton are big cites—Calgary is the oil company capital of Alberta and there's lots of money there. It is a nice city and traffic is difficult during rush hour. There are shortcuts west through southwest Calgary to get to Banff and Lake Louise, but I missed them. Canada is a wonderful place to visit, but they use far fewer road signs than we do. I guess Canadians are smarter than us because they don't seem to get lost.

You have several routes to chose from. Easiest for us is I-15 through Montana. Last time we took that route we stayed in Grand Falls, Mont., and it was one day to Calgary. It snowed on the way to Calgary and that's not unusual in May and even June (the 2 times we went to Alaska in the late spring, it snowed on the way to Calgary). Then we went to a campground at Lake Louise (one more day). The Icefields Parkway is a beautiful drive and you can be in Jasper for a late lunch. We did and then went west and found a campground on the way to Prince George. From Pr. George, you can go north and I think you'll meet up with the highway to Dawson Creek. The alternative is to go east from Jasper to Edmonton and then northwest to Dawson. You can skip the national parks and go straight to Edmonton from Calgary.

Another side trip is to the Royal Tyrell Museum northeast of Calgary in Drumheller, Alb. It is less than 2 hours to there I think and is a world class dinosaur museum.

Waterton NP in Alberta is has some beautiful areas, though not as dramatic as Glacier NP in Montana. Since there won't be glaciers much longer in Glacier NP, might as well see them, but you'll see plenty along the Icefields Pkwy. If you have problems with heights, the Going to the Sun Hwy. may not be for you. You cannot take a trailer on it.

The Milepost helps a lot, not only on the Alaska Hwy. and in Alaska, but on the approach routes to Dawson and other routes to the Cassiar Hwy.

From Gillette the obvious route is I-90 to Billings. From there you have 2 choices to get to Great Falls—take the 2 laners north and west, or go west on I-90 and then north on I-15. I'd avoid the interstates because I think it is longer and less scenic, but it depends how you feel about interstates, truck traffic, and what ever things you like. I think you can get to Great Falls from Gillette in less than 2 days. All these travel times are different for different people of course.

Why Dawson Creek? People usually go there to start up the Alaska Hwy.

Gene
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
is the rodeo outside or inside?
outdoors
Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I'd recommend the Icefields Parkway from Calgary as well. It is a lot shorter to take Hwy 40 north from Hinton than it is to return to Edmonton. If one doesn't want to take Hwy 40, the alternative is to go east then north to Whitecourt and join Hwy 43 there.

Whether to go west or east from Jasper to get to Dawson Creek may depend on what the return route will be. If coming south through BC, I'd go up through Hinton.

I wouldn't suggest staying in Hinton. It is fine, but it makes more sense to stay in Jasper in the National Park for a short stopover.

We used to live in Edmonton, and Grande Prairie. We did both from Vancouver straight through many a time, around 1300 km in 13 hours, not towing. We always came through Jasper and up Hwy 40.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Alyeska caravan

We are at the Calgary rodeo July 5 and 6, leaving on the 7th, and then to Dawson Creek to join the caravan on the 12th, expecting to arrive DC on the 10th. Any fellow travelers? The Garretts....two geezers and the obligatory yappy little dog. rjackgar@hotmail.com
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Rjack, we are on the same caravan but can't leave Gillette until the 5th. We really appreciate all the information from everyone.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri

Safe travels and good cheer...rjack