Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
Tac

TAC gathering for 2013. Rent a whole campground. Of course u have the Dec 2012 problem to get by.
__________________

__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Soyboy's Avatar

 
1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 661
Images: 41
Getaways: Nice idea about the luminaries. Unfortunately, I think the only time they do that is around the first weekend in December. This year it is 12/4/10. It is really something to experience though, I highly recommend it if you are ever in the area at that time. BTW I think there is a Jellystone RV park close to Antietam in Williamsport, MD. I also think there is a KOA in Harpers Ferry. I don't know anything about them as we are generally state park campers.

Antietam National Battlefield - The Memorial Illumination (U.S. National Park Service)
__________________

__________________
1999 28' Safari
2012 F150 Platinum Max Tow 7650 GVWR 3.73 Elec. Locking Diff.(Prev 2003 Dmax).
Honda EU2000i, Equalizer Hitch
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Well, no luck in finding a campsite for the re-enactment in July as yet!

I checked out a few of the places mentioned but all full.

Pine Creek furnace has a few spots available but no hookups - maybe I should just grab a spot while they have them, and buy me a Honda EU2000i gennie , I've been wanting an excuse!

I'll check around a few more RV spots yet! The "Mrs" prefers taking the Airstream and truck rather than riding down on the Goldwing! Damn! (Well, not really, she's up for going no matter which - I'm lucky that way! At least with the bike, she'll be staying in hotels with no cooking to do!)


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
loudruff's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,242
Images: 5
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
courtesy parking

Well, I hope some of the PA folks that are listed in the courtesy parking list will step up and have a spot for you. Don't give up yet.
__________________
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member


loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
gatorboy's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 54
If you're interested in Civil War reenactments and reenactors, I would highly recommend reading Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz.

Pete
__________________
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
Emerson75's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 80
Images: 23
Brian,

I would imagine that every campground (and there are quite a few) in and around Gettysburg is booked for July 4th. However if you don't require full hookups and can manage with just electric, there are a lot of nice PA State Parks within an hour of Gettysburg that may have sites still available.

We regularly camp at Cowans Gap SP, Gifford Pinchot SP, and Codorus SP. All three of these are very nice and would be less than an hour from Gettysburg. Caledonia SP is a really nice area, the campground is okay, but I'm sure it is booked by how close it is to Gettysburg, but you can check.

You can check for site availability and make reservations online, here is the link to their website...
Pennsylvania State Parks - Camping - PA DCNR

Good luck,
Eric

P.S. I live about 20 mins from Gettysburg, and my grandparents (who we bought our AS from last August, and who were avid AS'ers for ~50 years) have a farm in the heart of Gettysburg. Over the years (since 1953) they have found a lot of artifacts (cannon balls, shells, medical bottles, syringes, etc). Their farm butts both the Virginia and North Carolina monuments, and their bank barn was a field hospital, so it is quite rich in history. In fact, I believe they were the first site picked to have the filming of the movie Gettysburg, although my grandfather chose to turn down the offer.
__________________
Eric, Stacey, Easton, Annabelle, Gretzky (boxer), & George Bailey (basset hound)
1975 Tradewind - Family owned and operated since 1975
2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
arcamedies's Avatar
 
1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
Images: 69
Blog Entries: 5
Thumbs up Biking around Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks, I am looking forward to it! I'd like to take the trailer but figure it will be easier just going by bike - maybe I'll call a couple of RV parks in the next week or so but I'm guessing I won't have much luck. I'll bet they already have reservations for 2013!

I think if we go to Gettysburg with the bike it might also be interesting to run down to Harpers Ferry - looks to be interesting and a very attractive area for touring.

Brian
Ahhh another biker with a Goldwing. I've had 3 and the area is spectacular to ride around especially on a wing. Best campground is Drummer Boy or Round Top. Getting away from Gettysburg to rent a room would be a hike to Frederick, Maryland but it's between Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry. The other direction would be York Pennsylvania, or Westminster, Maryland.

Good Luck
__________________
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,544
We have been to Antietam, Chickamauga and Gettysburg in the last couple of years. All of them very sobering, awe-inspiring experiences. Can't remember where we camped, as it was secondary to the whole experience, but highly recommend everyone visit them.

My great-grandfather was a chaplain for the Confederacy at Chickamauga, and a great-uncle who was Confederate Artillery died at Antietam. We found the area where he was shot and the home-turned-hospital where he died. The Confederate dead were relocated from that battlefield after the war, however, and "went into the ground known, but came out unknown" as the historian told us.

The historians at these places are amazing, so full of information and the battlefields so well marked that you can literally retrace the steps of your ancestors.

"Confederates in the Attic" is an excellent book, and helps tremedously in understanding the passion that re-enactors feel for this period in time.

If you go to Gettysburg in October, however, watch out for stinkbugs! They love the aluminum, swarm everywhere and ride inside on your clothing, hair, etc. We were finding dead and live ones for months after our visit.

Travel safe,

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
If you're interested in Civil War reenactments and reenactors, I would highly recommend reading Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz.

Pete
Thanks pete - just checked it out on Wikipedia & will order a copy!

Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
Brian,

I would imagine that every campground (and there are quite a few) in and around Gettysburg is booked for July 4th. However if you don't require full hookups and can manage with just electric, there are a lot of nice PA State Parks within an hour of Gettysburg that may have sites still available.

We regularly camp at Cowans Gap SP, Gifford Pinchot SP, and Codorus SP. All three of these are very nice and would be less than an hour from Gettysburg. Caledonia SP is a really nice area, the campground is okay, but I'm sure it is booked by how close it is to Gettysburg, but you can check.

You can check for site availability and make reservations online, here is the link to their website...
Pennsylvania State Parks - Camping - PA DCNR

Good luck,
Eric

P.S. I live about 20 mins from Gettysburg, and my grandparents (who we bought our AS from last August, and who were avid AS'ers for ~50 years) have a farm in the heart of Gettysburg. Over the years (since 1953) they have found a lot of artifacts (cannon balls, shells, medical bottles, syringes, etc). Their farm butts both the Virginia and North Carolina monuments, and their bank barn was a field hospital, so it is quite rich in history. In fact, I believe they were the first site picked to have the filming of the movie Gettysburg, although my grandfather chose to turn down the offer.

Thanks Eric, I am still checking various options. I did find a few days ago that Pine Grove Furnace SP had a few non-serviced sites available, may be gone by now.


If we take the Airstream, I'd prefer a place with hookups - but the maybe this would give me a way to convince "She who must be obeyed" that we really do need a Honda EU2000i !!

Interesting about your grandparents' place. I have a metal detector that I sometimes take on TV trips, although I don't use it a whole lot. I imagine that anywhere around Gettysburg is verboten for use of these toys - unless you are able to use it with permission on private land. Sure would be fun to have a look!


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have been to Antietam, Chickamauga and Gettysburg in the last couple of years. All of them very sobering, awe-inspiring experiences. Can't remember where we camped, as it was secondary to the whole experience, but highly recommend everyone visit them.

My great-grandfather was a chaplain for the Confederacy at Chickamauga, and a great-uncle who was Confederate Artillery died at Antietam. We found the area where he was shot and the home-turned-hospital where he died. The Confederate dead were relocated from that battlefield after the war, however, and "went into the ground known, but came out unknown" as the historian told us.

The historians at these places are amazing, so full of information and the battlefields so well marked that you can literally retrace the steps of your ancestors.

"Confederates in the Attic" is an excellent book, and helps tremedously in understanding the passion that re-enactors feel for this period in time.

If you go to Gettysburg in October, however, watch out for stinkbugs! They love the aluminum, swarm everywhere and ride inside on your clothing, hair, etc. We were finding dead and live ones for months after our visit.

Travel safe,

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Even for someone like me with no related family history
whatsoever, (we are originally from the UK) the whole subject of the civil war is fascinating and awe inspiring. I can just imagine what is must be like for people who can trace involvement of their ancestors.

I will certainly buy a copy of "Confederates in the attic!"

I hope we do get to tour the area this summer, apart from the history aspect it seems a very scenic area

Brian


PS - I'm sure my wife is getting fed up with hearing me practice civil war tunes on my banjo over the last few weeks since I suddenly developed this interest!
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Ahhh another biker with a Goldwing. I've had 3 and the area is spectacular to ride around especially on a wing. Best campground is Drummer Boy or Round Top. Getting away from Gettysburg to rent a room would be a hike to Frederick, Maryland but it's between Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry. The other direction would be York Pennsylvania, or Westminster, Maryland.

Good Luck
Yep, it is a bit tempting to take two wheels instead of 8!! "Mrs" is ok with that, but I think she'd prefer the trailer - mind you she also enjoys not having to cook, so maybe hotels could be an attraction!

I made a small trailer that I pull behind the Wing on longer trips. I built it initially with the idea of tent camping. I got all the gear, but truth to tell, we find bike-camping camping is a bit of a hassle if you are on the move with the bike each day. Besides its nice to enjoy a nice shower and comfy bed after a long day in the saddle!

We still take the bike trailer though even if using motels, its nice to have the extra space for lawn chairs cooler, rain gear etc.

I really love touring on the Wing, it is a 2006 GL1800 and I have ridden it from our home near Toronto to both the east and west coasts and also to Florida. Looking forward to a few trips this summer - whether or not it gets to go to Gettysburg!

Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Ahhh another biker with a Goldwing. I've had 3 and the area is spectacular to ride around especially on a wing. Best campground is Drummer Boy or Round Top. Getting away from Gettysburg to rent a room would be a hike to Frederick, Maryland but it's between Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry. The other direction would be York Pennsylvania, or Westminster, Maryland.

Good Luck
Your tip worked out fine, we are now booked in to the "Drummer Boy" surprised they had a space. From the website it looks a very nice park.

While we are in the area I'd also like to visit Harpers Ferry, I'll check the distance and either leave the trailer at Gettysburg or see if we can get a place near HF. Someone said there is a Jellystone Park nearby

Thanks again (No Goldwing this trip I guess ...... damn!)

Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
Emerson75's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 80
Images: 23
Brian,

There is a KOA in Harper's Ferry that is nice, we stayed there once.

-Eric
__________________

__________________
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Casino in Gettysburg gettysburg Off Topic Forum 13 05-18-2010 09:31 AM
4th of July Inland RV Center, In Off Topic Forum 17 07-07-2007 02:29 AM
Region 2 Rally in Gettysburg kayelm WBCCI Rallies & Events 1 05-22-2006 08:19 AM
Gettysburg campground recommendations? maznblu On The Road... 6 06-07-2004 04:21 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.