Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Getting gas?

I'm leaving tomorrow to travel from Wisconsin to Portland, Oregon. This will be my first trip pulling a trailer. I think I have prepared well but the biggest question I have is about getting gas on the road. I will be sticking to the interstate (I-94) for most of the way. I'm a little worried about maneuvering around in tight spots. My trailer is 27 feet long. I'm hoping there will be plenty of room at truck stops. I have a gps unit that should be helpful as well. Any tips on getting gas without smashing into things or any other tips for my first voyage would be greatly appreciated.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Well Smokey, I guess you didn't read the whole manual that came with your Airstream. On page 242, it clearly states that an Airstream only lasts "one tank of gas, maybe a little more if you run out while going downhill."

It goes on to say that when you run out you are to make two phone calls. The first call is to Airstream to order a new trailer and the second call is to me, so I can come pick up your old one.

Why else do you think there would be all these threads about miles per gallon and people getting new Airstreams all the time?

I'll be waiting by the phone.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
most of the truck stops on the east coast have islands for rvs,which gives more room.however if you approach a station without this the key is just to take your time the same way you maneuver through pulling into a campground.most people when they see me coming usually get out of my way.also remember to go as wide as you can pulling away from the islands,since this where most fender benders occur.since i have a diesel ill try to map out my fuel stops before i leave on a trip thru the internet mainly because i only want to purchase from stations that are pumping alot of diesel,to cut the risk of contaminated fuel.after a couple of stops at fuel stations you will be a pro.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
oh, and don't do this!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Just be careful, keep it wide and use your mirrors when you pull away from the pumps and you should be fine.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Most truck stop type service centers are setup with high bays...The local Flying-J here in my area has two satellite pumps away from the 'Car" pumps that deliver gas and diesel. They are not covered but they are away from the "Busy' area and not the Trucker area.

Have Fun,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Smoky - you touched on something I just encountered last weekend. Traveling along US-1 for about 30+ miles before finding a station that had pumps I could maneuver into ... most of the pumps were aligned perpendicular to the road (two aborted attempts - pulled off the road and drove right through the parking lot). I could have swung into the pump, but exiting the pump would not have been possible for me! I finally found one before my gas light came on. Next time I will plan better --- guess my mileage was much less than without the AS!!! Otherwise I would have been forced to unhook Ophelia, gas the truck and rehook. That woulda been a pain!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Smoky;

I would agree with everybody so far. We actually look for Flying J truck stops because we have a discount card from them. However most of the truck stops have sufficient room to navigate through. Although everybody suggests watching in your mirrors, etc. by all means watch out for the people coming also because they may not be as cautious as you.

Happy travelling and safe travelling if you are going out for Thanksgiving.
WBCCI # 10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Tips I follow at Gas Stations:
I avoid using the pumps closest to the Gas station store because of the danger of being blocked in by parked cars. At stations with multiple rows of pumps I generally choose an outside pump, normally this will give more room on your right to maneuver when existing.
Richard

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Getting gas?

Greetings Smoky!

I have towed my 26' Overlander all over the Western US. My usual practice when traveling in unfamiliar terrain is to begin looking for fuel at 1/2-tank. After being fooled by published information about RV-friendly pumps, and trucks stops with nearly inacessible pumps for everything except diesel -- my usual practice is to do a drive-by to assess the situation -- if I can't see the approach and exit routes for the gasoline pumps, I continue on to the next station. Also, it is critical to observe the approach and exit lanes for excessive dips that may cause the coach to drag. I have had to try as many as three exits before finding a station offering access, approach, and exit routes that were workable. In two instances, I have even waited in line at a truck stop at the pump clearly labeled -- RV Fueling Station -- when I finally got to the pump, it was diesel only.

One thing that I have learned is that an older station located in town away from the Interstate often offers better access to RVs. Recently, I have begun avoiding Interstates for the vast majority of my travel -- my fuel buying experiences have proven far less challenging with this method of travel.

Good luck and safe travels!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You might want to bring a 5 gal portable can. Then you will always have enough to get to the next exit, and you can walk gas from the pump to your truck if you really get into a tight spot.

In Minneapolis, gas is $1.829 on 494 at Rockford Road, west side of town.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
We have a 50 gal refueler in the back of the bed of our 2500HD gasser. With gas it is not legal to tie a tank to your main. Get a DOT approved Transflow....then fuel up only where you want since you got 900 miles ....the refuler has a hose on it just like at the gas station but a slightly smaller profile....great also for fueling generators....lawn mowers ect around the house. Lots of flexability.

I was the best investment I ever made in my rig so instead of depending on just the 30 gal truck tank I got 80 gal..Just pull off any rest area ect to refuel

The Truck has a basic alum cap with a long window on the drivers side. Just open up the wind and start pumping.
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bean-O

It works
Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
With my F-150 it's be looking for gas every 125 to 175 miles depending on terrain or wind. Don't forget you can drop the trailer if/when the gauge needle is exploring regions never hithertofore seen and there is an impossible station in plain sight, don't forget it after you fill up, umnn, don't forget wheel chocks and a wood board for the hitch jack to rest on...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Turn wide, watch the narrow bridges and off ramps...your GPS should help lots, we use a Garmin Nuvi, and it tells us what fuel stations are ahead, a great help when in unfamiliar territory...