Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Getting an untitled trailer to Mexico?

Hi Folks,
This is my first time on the On the Road forum. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question but you seem to have an, ahem, pretty far-ranging discussion here, so I thought I'd try.

I am considering buying an old untitled trailer in TX. I want to take the trailer to Baja. Can anyone enlighten me on what I'd be likely to run into, as I head over the border? Do I need to demonstrate that I own it?

Or, I guess, first things first, what exactly would I have to do to make it legal to pull it and insure it? Can I just call someone up and have them tow it, as-is, to CA and then register it there? Using some kind of temporary permit? If so, from whom? I'm a CA resident, so I'm clueless about TX and what would be required. Also, I've never bought a trailer in the US before, and never registered a trailer. We have an AS MH.

Thanks for any direction on this!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

To get a trailer into Mexico, you have to temporarily import it, even though some parts of Mexico like the Baja are no "no hassle zones" where no car permit is required.
The import process is not difficult or expensive but you do need registration and a title. You visit the adjuana (customs) in the same place where you get your visa.
If you want an old trailer to live in it, perhaps you can buy one in Mexico. They are not nearly as numerous as the U.S. and you will likely pay more for it, but I have seen them for sale.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Your U.S. insurance is no good and you will have to buy Mexican insurance. This widely available by the day. Even if you don't choose to buy collision insurance for your old trailer, to have liability coverage on your car and trailer, you have to have it noted on your car insurance that you are pulling a trailer.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

If you are buying an old trailer in the U.S. with no title, get a bill of sale from the seller. You can get a salvage title from your home state by posting a bond in the amount of the value of the trailer (you will have to get an appraisal) and by filling in a lot of paperwork. This is so much trouble that you might as well buy a trailer with a title, there are lots available. Get the trailer licensed and have the title in hand before you go to Mexico.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks handn, just what I needed to know! My impression is that trailers without title are discounted, but that's because they're a PITA (pain-in-the-you-know-what) to get salvage titles for. I'll check on salvage title requirements.

It's true, Baja is easier, but there's still the duty to pay, less on a trailer in poor condition though.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

No duty, just a small bond for a 10 year permit.
If you buy a trailer in Mexico and want it licensed, you will have to pay 16% IVA which is a deal killer.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
MX permits on trailers, too?

I know the 10-year duty applies to motor homes, yachts and sailboats (which is a little redundant), but I didn't think it applied to trailers, too. Are you pretty sure about that? I can research it, but if you have recent experience on this, since the new import regs have come in, let me know. What a pain.

This is one of the reasons I have been considering bring a trailer in from the US. We have an AS MH in the US but it now comes under these new requirements where, (get this) a yacht, sailboat, or MH that is of 1996 year or older will require a permit when entering MX (Baja too, I believe) and must leave the country within 10 years "in the same condition." HA! I have never seen anything that's been used in MX that's left in the same condition!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote