Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Generator SECURITY!

Anyone have any recommendations for how to keep a generator that is stored in the back of a truck secure? I have a lockable tonneau cover. for when it is not in use. I am more concerned about when the truck bed is down and the generator is in use. Is a simple chain adequate? How thick should it be to avoid theft?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwright View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for how to keep a generator that is stored in the back of a truck secure? I have a lockable tonneau cover. for when it is not in use. I am more concerned about when the truck bed is down and the generator is in use. Is a simple chain adequate? How thick should it be to avoid theft?
I have a heavy cable bike lock for this purpose. If they want it badly enough, they'll get it one way or another, all I can do is slow them down enough to want to look for an easier target.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
As said, if they want it bad enough...and they have enough time...they will get your genset, especially with a chain/lock setup. There is a company that I have read about here on the Forum that builds a lockable hardened steel security framework that can be bolted onto some Airstream tongues behind the propane tanks (and probably into the bed of your TV too). A good theft insurance policy is probably your best solution. Generator thieves are a crafty bunch of buggers.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Depending on the generator you have there are many options already available. Security handle, weather proof security box, etc.

Just serach google, for example, "Honda generator security", gives me EBAY:
HONDA EU 2000i 1000i GENERATOR SECURITY LOCKABLE CAGE BOX | eBay

I have 2-Honda EU2000I gens. I used the steal security handles and a braided cable and master lock.

As stated. If they want it, they will get it. I just want mine to be more difficult to get. Maybe they will look for an easier target.

-Dennis
Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I have a heavy cable bike lock for this purpose. If they want it badly enough, they'll get it one way or another, all I can do is slow them down enough to want to look for an easier target.
So true!

Check out the Kryptonite Lock website. They make all kinds of locks for motorcycles, ATV, Bikes etc. and test them and rate them for anti-theft protection. A a hardened steel shackle would probably be your best bet, but you need something very close to the generator to lock it to.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/home.html

Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
We have a EU2000i and use a LowPro LockDown, they are available for other gen sets.

Nothing will stop determined thieves but I like the convenience of rapid removal for using off the MH, refilling etc.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
In addition to chaining/locking it, mark it boldly with "Marked for identification by POLICE" and engrave some sort of meaningful information in an obvious area. That's a strong deterrent as pawn shops typically don't want marked goods.

I'm always hesitant to put my name and address on it as it makes it obvious we are not home if someone is reading the info in a campground...

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
So true!

Check out the Kryptonite Lock website. They make all kinds of locks for motorcycles, ATV, Bikes etc. and test them and rate them for anti-theft protection. A a hardened steel shackle would probably be your best bet, but you need something very close to the generator to lock it to.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/home.html

I got a cable long enough that I should be able to lock it to the A frame of the camper. I probably should test that hypothesis sometime.

What someone should do is make a black cover for the popular generators that can be used while in operation so they don't draw as much attention. The Hondas and Yamahas are so quiet that you'd never notice them from any distance if they weren't bright colors (especially the Hondas).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
What someone should do is make a black cover for the popular generators that can be used while in operation so they don't draw as much attention. The Hondas and Yamahas are so quiet that you'd never notice them from any distance if they weren't bright colors (especially the Hondas).
The red generator is a target for thieves. Generator theft (among other items) has been happening a lot at the State Parks all around Coastal California where I live, so much so they give you a written warning about it when you check in. These thefts have been ones that were secured by chains and cable locks. I use a 3/4" braided Kryptonite cable with a barrel lock now, which basically has to be cut with a saw, but thinking of some other solutions too.

It used to be I could go camping and leave my stuff out for weeks and nobody would bother it. Now I have to lock up everything. Times have sure changed...sad.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I have a lockable tonneau lid, a Honda eu2000i, a steel handle, and a locking cable. I've also worked on construction sites. As previous posters said, if you leave it alone long enough and the thief really wants it, it doesn't matter how thick your locking device is... unless there's another red gennie nearby that's easier to steal. The simple rule is DON'T leave it outside if you're leaving your site, even for just a few minutes. This is why I bought the red suitcase and a tonneau - it's light enough to put away each time I'm done with it and the lid is easy enough to open and shut. I keep my laptop and gennie with me wherever I go and out of sight.

Of course it helps if you have the campground all to yourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02956.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	238027  
Old 05-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We use a good bicycle lock cable and usually keep the generator in the back of our truck, which has a locked cap (canopy, topper) on the back. We lock it to the AS at our campsite, then either put it back in the truck, or else make sure it's covered with lawn chairs, &c. when we're away from the site.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
They can start gen. plug in then with angle grinder can cut almost every thing, then bye bye gen. As other posts if they want it badly enough it's gone. I use mine at nascar races and place I stay at some go to party not see races, there very honest watch for thefts. Only boon dock on farm and timber that belongs to me. I can dry camp not dependent on electric. I use braided cable krypton lock run cable thru stabilizer jack web. Also if don't need ac or heavy elect. have 800 watt from harbor frt. will run small micro. toaster etc. put in cross bed tool box lock lid.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I engrave "Stolen from Terry if found call 444-222-3333" on anything like that. Obviously with my full name and real phone number.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
A lock and cable is a deterrent...thieves can saw trough the plastic handle and slip off the cable. Placing a plastic garbage bag over it when not in use makes it look like garbage from a distance.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
How about a motion activated alarm mounted in the bed of the truck.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1431127557860
Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile generator theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lock and cable is a deterrent...thieves can saw trough the plastic handle and slip off the cable. Placing a plastic garbage bag over it when not in use makes it look like garbage from a distance.
My 800 watt cost $88 dollars no big deal if stolen, I won't be happy about it but not much money, also if I leave site it goes in tool box of truck locked up. As for larger generators that I have. I run cable thru cage then thru web of stabilizer jack. There was prev. post about alarm on gen. maybe some one can find it and comment this thread. All I remember it was a while back
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #17
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
I painted mine yellow. They can steal it, but it will be easier to identify. My name, telephone and drivers license is on there too.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Someone, and I almost think it is Honda, makes a hardened steel handle that cannot be easily cut through like the plastic one. You might Google it.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Kyrptonite has several chains they rate at 7-8 on a scale of up to 10 for security. They do not have a guarantee on any chains, they used to when we carried their products, but too many thieves carry cutting equipment now days.

When I carry gens, I just don't leave them alone for long unchained or unlocked and out of site. Too bad but that's the way it is now.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

I use one of these to connect my two Honda generators and a propane tank together:

Amazon.com: Trimax TDL815 Trimaflex 8' X 15mm Dual Loop Multi-Use Cable: Automotive

I then connect that cable to this one that attaches to my AS:

Amazon.com: Trimax TDL3010 Trimaflex 30' X 10mm Dual Loop Multi-Use Cable: Automotive

I also attached one of these to each of my generators:

Amazon.com : 63230-Z07-010AH GENUINE OEM HONDA PART - Honda Generator EU2000i Theft Deterrent Bracket (Honda Generator Accessories) 63230-Z07-010AH : Generator Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I drag all of my stuff back in if I'm going to be out of the campground for a bit.
Closed Thread