Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
How about a motion activated alarm mounted in the bed of the truck.

Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile generator theft

Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lock and cable is a deterrent...thieves can saw trough the plastic handle and slip off the cable. Placing a plastic garbage bag over it when not in use makes it look like garbage from a distance.
My 800 watt cost $88 dollars no big deal if stolen, I won't be happy about it but not much money, also if I leave site it goes in tool box of truck locked up. As for larger generators that I have. I run cable thru cage then thru web of stabilizer jack. There was prev. post about alarm on gen. maybe some one can find it and comment this thread. All I remember it was a while back

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
I painted mine yellow. They can steal it, but it will be easier to identify. My name, telephone and drivers license is on there too.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lock and cable is a deterrent...thieves can saw trough the plastic handle and slip off the cable. Placing a plastic garbage bag over it when not in use makes it look like garbage from a distance.
Someone, and I almost think it is Honda, makes a hardened steel handle that cannot be easily cut through like the plastic one. You might Google it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Kyrptonite has several chains they rate at 7-8 on a scale of up to 10 for security. They do not have a guarantee on any chains, they used to when we carried their products, but too many thieves carry cutting equipment now days.

When I carry gens, I just don't leave them alone for long unchained or unlocked and out of site. Too bad but that's the way it is now.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
I use one of these to connect my two Honda generators and a propane tank together: Trimax TDL815 Trimaflex 8' X 15mm Dual Loop Multi-Use Cable: Automotive

I then connect that cable to this one that attaches to my AS: Trimax TDL3010 Trimaflex 30' X 10mm Dual Loop Multi-Use Cable: Automotive

I also attached one of these to each of my generators: : 63230-Z07-010AH GENUINE OEM HONDA PART - Honda Generator EU2000i Theft Deterrent Bracket (Honda Generator Accessories) 63230-Z07-010AH : Generator Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I drag all of my stuff back in if I'm going to be out of the campground for a bit.
Glock 40 MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
I use 2 Harley cable appox 1 inch in dia. Leave in back of truck during use and pull cover when not in use
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by adamwright View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for how to keep a generator that is stored in the back of a truck secure? I have a lockable tonneau cover. for when it is not in use. I am more concerned about when the truck bed is down and the generator is in use. Is a simple chain adequate? How thick should it be to avoid theft?
No easy answers. No such thing as "adequate."

I use security chain from Tulsa Chain. They have two sizes, either will win a fight with a bolt cutter but not a grinder or torch. Heavier chain makes for a longer and louder fight with the grinder.

For some generators there are locking bases available. That may be the right answer in your situation.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
While camping in the desert this past winter, I enjoyed a cup of coffee with a neighbor..... While some local thugs made off with his generator, secured by a 1 inch stainless cable, his portable satellite dish, and a neighbors air compressor, also secured by a big honking tempered chain. Lesson is that if a thief want your goods, they'll get it any way possible, right under your nose!
The BLM ranger noted that a mans genset is nothing more than a very handy power source for a felons cutting wheel!

I personally use an Onan generator which looks like a science experiment, weighs 250 pounds, and requires a crane to heft around!
Those little red and blue generators are nothing but easy targets! If you want to retain them, put them inside out of site or take them with you!

I was at a lake mead camp ground a few weeks ago. A fellow had 2 Hondas sitting beside his 5th wheel. I mentioned his lack of security.... His response was "won't get stolen, I'm in a campground"!
Personally, I think security is all an illusion.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I would bolt to truck Bed

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote