Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Rod and others.

My question(s) are;

Have you ever felt in danger out there alone in the middle of nowhere? Do you carry a gun? If so, have you ever been glad you do? If not, ever you ever felt sorry you didn't? I guess I am more worried about human problems than wild animals.

Thanks;

John
To be honest, while I have no actual data, I feel less threat to myself and belongings boondocking.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Fly Fishing The 'BOX' aka RG Canyon near Questa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Some questions

1) What is the expected effect of the large snow mass melting on fly fishing expected to be?

2) Does anyone have any experince or information of fly fishing on the Rio Grande in the Wild Rivers NRS near questa?

3) Is it summer yet?

Rodney,
A lot of fishermen fish the 'BOX' with flies. There are a lot of boulders in that part of the river, it is narrow and deep running.
For the most part wading only near the banks in spots.

When I fished the river there I hadn't got into fly fishing yet, we used spinners, flatfish, Rapalas, etc...., I would expect popular flies would be streamers, muddlers, grasshopper imatations, etc. If you got lucky and had a hatch going some dry fly action would be a bonus.

Years ago some Nothern pike were introduced by flood into the upper end of the RG in NM, I understand thy are doing very well in that part of the river.
Don

Old 04-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #115
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
more fishin questions

Can any of the fly fishermen among us give me some idea about what I should be looking for in a pair of waders. I have been told I want neoprene and the sock kind, does that sound right? Other things I should be looking out for?

Oh yeah, which the better of the fly fishing forums?

and the
My Blog

Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #116
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Can any of the fly fishermen among us give me some idea about what I should be looking for in a pair of waders. I have been told I want neoprene and the sock kind, does that sound right? Other things I should be looking out for?

Warning, strong personal opinion follows: I was taught fly fishing by a professional fly tier long before the sport was popular. I never saw him in waders. In my opinion if you learn how to cast you don't need waders.

I had the good fortune to grow up on a trout stream that folks would travel great distance to fish. Each summer two brothers that were teachers and fished all summer break around the nation would spend a week on that water. They had quite divergent fishing styles from each other and each caught about the same poundage in fish. The older brother would pull on waders, jump in the water and head up stream fishing like a madman. He would catch the limit of rainbows and sometimes a native brown all nice pan size. The younger brother would sit quietly by the water for hours, make a few casts and catch one or two of what was huge for that water around 24 in length and several pounds, typically a fat brown, he never wore waders either.

I am not anywhere near as good as fisherman as either one of those two men, but I can enjoy fishing from the bank or canoe just fine. Royce, let the flames begin (running and ducking, looking for cover).
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:

FWIW Rodney

I have used neoprenes sock foot and other slip on boot foot.
One thing I would suggest is get the felt soles, helps on slick moss covered rocks.

I just sold a pair of nearly new Neo's (worn twice), and bought slip on boot foot (GoreTex treated) with lace up boots...
It's a lot simpler for me to get in and out with the slip on waders.

Try them both, It's like rods and reels what ever works for you.
Don
Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Breathable waders, whether Gore-Tex or similar material, are usually best. They are much cooler and more comfortable when the weather is 60 or warmer and, with proper clothing such as fleece pants, are every bit as warm as neoprene down to freezing temperatures. So-called stocking feet that require separate wading boots are best, both for comfort and walking ease.

Are waders necessary for fly fishing? No, but they sure make things much easier unless you like wet feet and legs in cool weather. If your are new to fly fishing, there are enough difficulties involved without having cold, wet feet.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #119
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
The casting is looking better, I can hit a plate 40 feet away reasonably often now. Still a long way to go, but its looking up! Now if I can get some of the more tricky stuff going in the next month things should be fun.

On the snow front, I think if things are looking rough when I hit NM, I may do some westward drift toward Farmington for a while to let the snow melt. By the way. How is the fishing on the Jemez River in NM? Heck, I may even spend a few days up the Pecos canyon.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #120
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Why not try the San Juan River quality water just below the Navajo Dam near Farmington? Big Rainbows and some Browns as well. These are not the easiest Trout to catch.
San Juan river fly fishing in New Mexico by Mike Mora
About Us Info for San Juan River Flies, Guide Services and Midges - Customflys.com

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #121
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Why not try the San Juan River quality water just below the Navajo Dam near Farmington? Big Rainbows and some Browns as well. These are not the easiest Trout to catch.
I kinda had that in mind if the snow pushes me out of the high county. On the other hand, fish that are to hard to catch have limited appeal to me . Who am I kidding, I will be spending much of the summer retrieving line from trees.....

and the
My Blog

Old 04-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
The casting is looking better, I can hit a plate 40 feet away reasonably often now. ...
Rodney,

That is plenty good enough for the water I fish! Do that consistantly and hold your head high in any company.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #123
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thumbs up Potential Boondocking spot

Between my DeLorme map and Google Earth, I think I may have located a cool place for boondocking in the Santa Fe National Forest. I am wondering if anyone has boondocked the area, or at least knows the area better than me.

Up Hwy 4 from Jemez Springs, between La Cueva and the caldera, there are several roads off the highway. It looks to me like there several turn offs on the south side of the road that are promising (FR 10, FR 134, Jemez Falls Rd for example). If I am looking at this correctly, you can pull up to the edge of the canyon rim and have morning sun & sunsets. The east fork Jemez runs nearby for fishing. I called the Jemez district office and the guy I spoke with says the entire area is open to boondocking.

The Jemez Canyon has been a favorite of mine for years, but I have only stayed in the campgrounds there. This could be a blast if it turns out to be nice.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #124
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
21:22:12:09

Days, hours, minutes, and seconds until the the grand voyage. Color me giddy. Lots and lots to get done.

In the interest of staying at other locations for longer periods of time, I am considering putting off visiting Glacier NP this year. The problem is I have 11 weeks, and 8 locations (9 with Glacier NP) that I really want to spend at least a week at. Somewhere, something has to go. When you think about it, its really the kind of problem a guy likes to have......

and the
My Blog

Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #125

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
How about some resource tips for folks that have never before tried to locate boondocking areas? I see you mention DeLorme (one of my fav's!), what other leads could you give out to others like me that have a map fettish?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #126
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
How about some resource tips for folks that have never before tried to locate boondocking areas? I see you mention DeLorme (one of my fav's!), what other leads could you give out to others like me that have a map fettish?
One method is just to keep your eyes open when you are out camping and find them that way.

If you are trying to figure out locations ahead of time, that can be touch and go. I use topos - like DeLorme- and if I see a promising area I often take a look using Google earth. This isn't a perfect method, but it is one tool. Getting your hands on a good forest service map can be a big help too.

The best situation is when someone who has been there before you points you to good areas. This takes a lot of the hassle away, but also some of the fun.

and the
My Blog