Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
Rodney Any reason why you have chosen to go up 93 in Idaho 95 is much more scenic. You can free camp any where in Idaho for as much as 14 days. Just not on an interstate, but you can on all county and state highways.

Air #25679

silver&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver&gold
Rodney Any reason why you have chosen to go up 93 in Idaho 95 is much more scenic.
Nope, none at all. Thats a general route (hehe). As long as it links me to Glacier and east Nevada, any route will do fine. Thanks for the tip. I have to say, I am very much looking forward to the Idaho segment of the tip.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
We lived in Elk City for 11 years and there are a lot of really cool camping and fishing places I can tell you about. Elk City is off of highway 14. That's deep in the Nez Pierce National Forest.
Air #25679

Old 03-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver&gold
We lived in Elk City for 11 years and there are a lot of really cool camping and fishing places I can tell you about. Elk City is off of highway 14. That's deep in the Nez Pierce National Forest.
Hit me up! Thats exactly the kind of information a guy wants!

and the
My Blog

Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
Idaho

OK here goes take take 55 out of Boise go north till you intersect 95. Highway 55 is absolutely a sight to see you will want to do this leg in good daylight. At New Meadows you will take 95 north to Grangeville. There are numerous camping sites along this trip and wild life as well. Just before White Bird witch is a grade of 7% for 11 miles and lodes of history. Before go up White Bird Grade you can camp out at Hammer Creek. Look for signs to Hammer Creek turn left off of Highway 95 go across the bridge then left look on the left for a large pull off. There is usually a Porto potty there and Steel Head and or Salmon fisherman.
Next go into Grangeville turn right on highway 13 go thru town on 13 at the end of town you will see Snow Haven Ski Resort sign this road takes you to Mt. Idaho Grade. When you turn on this road turn right then look for an old Drive In Theatre turn left beside it. This now take you down to Highway 14. This highway follows the South Fork Of The Clear Water River into Elk City. Not saying you need to go to Elk City but if you do you will see wildlife like Yellow Stone. On the river going in there are free camping sites everywhere and they are georgious. Fishing will probably be Chinook Salmon while you are there.
The only thing left is I am jealous wish we were following you.
If I can help anymore you just say the word. Oh yea fill up in Boise then again in Grangeville. There is fuel and supplies in Elk City ATM hot showers and a dump station at Red River Rangers Station and a hot springs.
Deb
Air #25679

Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
The hot springs that I really like are those that are non-comercial. For example, in the Jemez Springs area of New Mexico, there are several natural springs. Anyone have some of these to share?
Yes, there are a couple of them near Taos down on the banks of the Rio Grande. Alas, the only info I have on them is a book called Touring New Mexico Hot Springs. (There's a twin volume, same publisher, for Colorado, by the way.)

Lynn
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
When you get ready to leave just go out highway 14 to 13 to 12 then to Missoula and pick up 93 to finish your trip.
Elk City Area Information here are some pictures.
Air #25679

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Montana

At the moment, my plan is to enter Montana through Yellowstone. Spend some time between Gardiner and Livingston, maybe some time up the Boulder River. From there I'm thinking about drifting over to the Virgina and Nevada City areas over on 287, then generally north east, maybe hit highway 1 from Butte to Drummond. Then Highway 83, which looks like a neat road, up to Glacier NP.

This is pretty much new country for me. Again, I am looking for good photography sites, hot springs (non-commercial), boondock sites, and I am toying with the idea of fishing. Also, if anyone knows about the ghost towns and such I would love to hear about them. Thanks!

and the
My Blog

Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The Yellowstone River valley between Gardiner and Livingston is called "Paradise Valley' for a good reason. If you wish to stay in a commercial site, there are several good RV parks in that stretch. We like Yellowstone's Edge RV Park (nominally in Livingston, but actually in Emigrant). A good part about being in Paradise Valley is that you can easily drive back into Yellowstone Park to visit the stuff you missed when driving through.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Rodney
My daughter lived in Gardiner for 17 years while working for the PS....
It is a great area for a base in your exploration. As mentioned before Paradise Valley is great, several MT state Parking areas along the Yellowstone for fishing, viewing, etc.

A lot of the wildlife start dropping their young the first of June,,,, Elk, Bison, Moose and deer.... Great photo opps.
Don
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
South west Colorado

For the first part of the Colorado leg of the trip (coming up from central NM), I am thinking about the San Juans. Is this good boondock country or should I expect to stay in NFS campgrounds?

For those of you in the know, what are the relative merits of Hwy 149 vs 160- 550? By merits I mean things to see, places to boondock ect.

For the second part of the Colorado leg, I am completely up in the air. The jump off point will either be Gunnison or Salida and the northern terminus needs to drop me off in north central Colorado/Wyoming at the Snowy Range. Suggestions and comments encouraged.

and the
My Blog

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
There can be some good places to boondock, but expect other to be nearby, usually with quads, dirt bikes and or Jeeps. Of course this year, there is SO MUCH SNOW, that very little backcountry may be open in June. I have an offroad event that I plan in late July in Ouray, and I'm worried about access over the passes.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Rodney
The San Juans have a great deal of boondocking country, but this years snow pack is enormous, you might spend a day to two in a FS site to scout around with just your truck for boondock sites..149 SouthFork to Lake city has a several FS campgrounds, and boondock sites also, agaim very heavy snowpack.
160/550 Pagosa Springs, Durnago, Silverton, Ouray, is a must see IMO

Jump off sites, north out of Salida and upper Arkansas River is very scenic,
all the way to Snowy Range, lots of high mountain passes, campgrounds, FS sites, cant go wrong on that route. Your newer diesel will handle it okay.

Gunnison route north is very good also.
Decisions, decisions? Have fun.

Don
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #42
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, last time we were in NW New Mexico for a few days, we ran across a small handout at the Aztec CofC about natural arches in the area. Hadn't even dreamed that they were there. Thinking back on this a few minutes ago, I checked the web for updated info; sure enough, there is now more info than before:

Aztec Chamber of Commerce - Aztec Arches

Might be interesting to look at!

Lynn