Old 03-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, we're a bit out of the way if you're wanting to make real time (23 miles up the mountains from Taos).

But the two routes out of Espanola that I described are two of my personal favs: Lots of old stuff, culture, and scenery on both! Basically, the one through Abiquiu goes up to the west of the Rio Grande, and the one through Taos goes up to the east of the Rio Grande. (There are some cross-overs, but you'd probably want a high clearance vehicle to use them.)

Lynn

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Actually, we're a bit out of the way if you're wanting to make real time (23 miles up the mountains from Taos).

Lynn
I know where you are (six summers at Philmont) and I will probably swing by for nostalgias sake. By the way, is there any boondocking up in the Red River area?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I know where you are (six summers at Philmont) and I will probably swing by for nostalgias sake. By the way, is there any boondocking up in the Red River area?
Yes, just to the east outside of RR are a couple of forest service campgrounds that look pretty nice! If they weren't so close to home, we'd probably take the AS over there to escape the insanity here. (We prefer REALLY to escape, though, not just a few miles away!)

Kind of depends on when you go by there, though. Red River hosts the huge motorcycle event on Memorial Day, and everything within miles -- including Angel Fire, Eagle Nest and Taos -- gets crammed to the hilt. The ones closer to RR can sometimes be some rough types (Banditos, etc.); the ones we get over here are calmer, older, motorcycle-riding Vietnam veterans, who combine a visit to RR with the events over here at the veterans memorial.

Lynn
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
If you can - Big Horn National forest is amazing. It's a truly majestic place - east of Jackson Hole.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
[quote=Gen Disarray]Its a burden I must bear . Its been a long time coming too.

Hey Don, I will be passing right through your neck of the woods. I spent several summers at Philmont Scout Ranch in northern NM and I recall early June as being chilly at times. I interviewed for a position at Adams State a couple years ago, but didn't get it. But I did decide I wanted to see your area in depth, I expect to spend a couple weeks in south west Colorado.

Rodney,
Philmont is a great location, I love that part of NM.
There is a lot to see and do here in the Rio Grande valley and the San Luis valley 2.6 million acres of Natl Forest and 600,000 acres of BLM land. see link.
Hiway 160, 'Navajo Trail' goes over Wolf Creek Pass into Pagosa Springs and Durango, that a beautiful drive, one of the best in CO.

San Luis Valley Public Land Center - Site Tours and Maps - Environmental and Conservation Education Council

If I can be of any help, let me know!
Don
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Has anyone towed up into the Valle Vidal in NM? I use to back pack up in there in the 80's and haven't been back since '96. I remember the road is long and gravel which is OK with me, but I don't have a feel for boondocking up there.

and the
My Blog

Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #21
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Hummm. Again.

I was looking at the map, and it looks like you're headed up through western Colorado to somewhere around Grand Junction and then northwards. This route misses some nice stuff in SW Colorado and Utah.

Unless you really want to take the drive up through/over the San Juans from Durango, you could cut west/northwest and then head up through Utah, where you could hit Mesa Verde and then do Moab country: Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, and all the rest. It's mind-bogglingly beautiful country!

Lynn
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Has anyone towed up into the Valle Vidal in NM? I use to back pack up in there in the 80's and haven't been back since '96. I remember the road is long and gravel which is OK with me, but I don't have a feel for boondocking up there.
A couple of our guests do it: They camp here for a couple of days, then drag the rig up there for a few, and then back here for a couple. Great scenery and great fishing up here!! I'd only recommend that you watch the weather, avoid the rainy season, and keep the transmission in granny.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Yes, just to the east outside of RR are a couple of forest service campgrounds that look pretty nice! If they weren't so close to home, we'd probably take the AS over there to escape the insanity here. (We prefer REALLY to escape, though, not just a few miles away!)
... Lynn
Oh, dang, I forgot one of our favorite places! From Red River, the next town counterclockwise on the circle is Questa. From Questa, you turn north and go just a few miles north to Cerro, where you turn to go into the BLM Wild Rivers Recreation Area, at the confluence of the Red River gorge and the Rio Grande Gorge. Great scenery, great fishing, great hiking (you have to hike in order to fish, by the way), and a nice campground!

Lynn
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
NM/ Co hotsprings

If you are taking the route Lynn suggest, Ojo Caliente is a nice hot springs resort with a little RV park in the back of the facility. Worth a day to soothe away those miles to that point. Ouray in SW Colo also has a wonderful hot spring. There is a national forest campground called ampitheatre right on the edge of town. I have only tent camped there, so you need to check if they can handle your rig. I know reservation fill up early. There are many commercial RV parks and a nice state park up the road at Ridgeway.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957
If you are taking the route Lynn suggest, Ojo Caliente is a nice hot springs resort with a little RV park in the back of the facility. Worth a day to soothe away those miles to that point. Ouray in SW Colo also has a wonderful hot spring. There is a national forest campground called ampitheatre right on the edge of town. I have only tent camped there, so you need to check if they can handle your rig. I know reservation fill up early. There are many commercial RV parks and a nice state park up the road at Ridgeway.
Hey, Joe, I read that there's a hot spring place up there north of Durango. We've always stopped for a night to soak at Pagosa, but always wondered about the one at Durango. Any knowledge about it?

Lynn
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Trimble Hot Springs

Lynn
I have done those springs, but it has been several years. Seems to me sort of a non descript pool with nice lawn area next to it (reminds me of a municipal swimming pool from the 60's). The memory is pretty vauge. The Springs at Pagosa of course are really nice. Latest edition of Airstream Magazine has the full page picture (and no text) of Pagosa Springs. Joe
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #27
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Humm. Doesn't sound quite as nice as Pagosa, huh? I guess we'll have to keep with our stomping grounds!

Once place I've been meaning to visit, BTW, is Ojo Caliente, which is along one of the two routes I described for Rodney. It's more than just hot springs, though. They've got mud baths and all that kind of thing. I've heard good things about the place (which also includes an on-site campground), but I'm not sure I'm up to mud.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
How about non-comercial hot springs

The hot springs that I really like are those that are non-comercial. For example, in the Jemez Springs area of New Mexico, there are several natural springs. Anyone have some of these to share?

and the
My Blog