Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #239
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Didn't the Wind River Range viewed from the Green River region give a thrill? That drive, Pinedale on up into Jackson Hole, is one of our favorites. I think you got farther back out of Pinedale than we did, but we thought it was all dropdead gorgeous. If you can, take the drive on the back side of the Tetons, Idaho side--equally beautiful and some great sites to see, falls, etc, plus lots of produce fields on the opposite side of the road ~G
The headwaters of the Green are WAY up a gravel road, but very nice indeed. I recommend the area, its a late July-Aug kind of place though due to the snow pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Have they smoothed out the dirt road to Green River lakes or is there a lot of wash boarding? I'm heading there in mid August for a backpacking trip. Your camp site looks familiar. I think I camped at that same spot several years ago. Nice pictures. When my legs were younger, I backpacked in with a Hasselblad and tripod. Have some nice black and whites framed from that trip. Enjoy
While I was there the FS had a team of road graders working the road. It was much better coming back down...

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #240
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Grand Teton to Great Basin

After overnighting at Grand Teton National Park I headed up into Yellowstone National Park. After a month of quiet the multitudes were more than I wanted to deal with and I quickly felt like moving on. So, without so much as spending the night, I headed out the West Yellowstone gate and pushed on into Idaho. This turned out to be an excellent idea. I really have to recommend Hwy 12 in Idaho to everyone. It cuts east-west through the forest and is a great drive along the river, be forewarned: fill up your tanks before taking this road as services are sparse. The National Forest campgrounds in this area are in excellent condition and priced reasonably. I stayed one night at Lee’s Creek for $10.

I spent a couple nights camped below Red River hot springs at Bridge Creek (national forest campground) which was in poor condition but free. I was disappointed to discover that the springs were a commercial venture, so I opted out.
Over the fourth of July week I boondocked east of Cascade on one of the forks of the Salmon. Although the area had several hot springs, I only went to one which was about 3 miles from camp. It was so nice I really didn’t feel compelled to try the others. After the holiday weekend, I decided to move on south. I boondocked one night east of Loman. The stretch of road between Loman and Stanley has tons of boondocking spots and is pretty much a destination in and of itself. Pressing on I then moved north east of Stanley to camp along the Yankee Fork. I spent about a week along the Yankee Fork at Flat Rock campground (NFS). It was free and in excellent condition, but it will be $5 next year. (No water or trash service- the adjacent campground has water). . In addition to the FS campgrounds there are plenty of boondocking spots.

The Yankee Fork is a neat place. It has good fishing- the only place that I can say that for this summer, river sports, nearby hot springs, and great history. The creek has been heavily mined for gold including a dredging operation that operated in the early part of the last century. I had seen the results of dredging before and it isn’t pretty. The canyon is pretty beat up from the dredging. Unlike other dredging sites I have seen, the dredge is still present. When they finished, they just left it there. Today the dredge is maintained and tours ($4) are given. There are two ghost towns in the canyon-valley: Bonanza and Custer. Custer is now a historical attraction with several buildings maintained for touring. I had the misfortune to be there during “Custer day” when the place was flooded with people. There is plenty of good trail in the immediate area and road is pretty good in terms of bicycle riding as well. The road from Custer to Challis is undergoing major construction by the FS and was closed at Custer. I understand, though, that it is a neat drive. Leaving the Yankee Fork I headed south to Craters of The Moon National park.

After Craters of the Moon National Park, I headed south into Nevada. I spent the first night there at the Flying Js in Wells. I had driven enough for one day and since there was a cell signal there I could catch up on my calls and surf the net some. Cell coverage (Verizon) has been sparse the entire trip.

Yesterday, I made it to Great Basin NP. I haven’t gotten into the park much yet but there are some primitive campsites on the south end of the park along a creek that are wonderful and Free. Compared to the pay sites which are cramped, not it great shape and $12. I will be staying here most of the week before heading down to Las Vegas to pick up mom and her husband for a two week south west tour.

To date: Camping fees $178, 4,865 miles, diesel $1,594.70.

and the
My Blog

Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #241

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post

To date: Camping fees $178, 4,865 miles, diesel $1,594.70.
Wow, that's some inexpensive camping!!! We ended up at approx 5,200 miles and $1,500 in fuel in our out west adventure however the quest for quick-in-quick-out camps with wifi and hot showers drove the daily camping fee up to approx $30 per night.

Keep the update coming!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney,

You've been busy. Well, maybe not busy, unbusy. Sounds like you found some great places and I'm sure we wouldn't want to be at Y-stone in high summer either. How did you like Craters of the Moon? I thought the lava tubes were pretty cool. Now that you're at Great Basin, you can go to Lehman Cave. If you get a desire to move on before the week's up, there's some nice country south—well watered farmland, not at all like one would expect in Nevada.

Gene
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #243
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Rodney,
Wow, you have made some miles this summer, thanks for the updates.
Glad you decided to try for MT and ID, sounds like a great trip now.
Don
Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #244
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Wow, that's some inexpensive camping!!! We ended up at approx 5,200 miles and $1,500 in fuel in our out west adventure however the quest for quick-in-quick-out camps with wifi and hot showers drove the daily camping fee up to approx $30 per night.

Keep the update coming!
You see, we're gonna get Rodney to join WBCCI yet. Then he can come here, get the 50% discount and save a bunch on those prices! Heck, he could pay his WBCCI dues for the year if he stayed with us for a week. (Now if we could get more parks to participate in this kind of program, we'd be in really good shape!)

Lynn
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #245
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Update

Hey everyone, I have gotten behind on the updates and pics. I picked up mom and her husband at the airport in Las Vegas last Tuesday. We overnighted at the KOA on the strip at Circus Circus (what a hoot), and then headed out to the north rim of the Grand Canyon for a couple of days of boondocking on the rim. After the canyon we went over to Navajo NM for two nights, I had never visited there and all I can say is WOW! Great place, the hike down to the ruins is a trip in itself. We swang by the four corners on the way to Mesa Verde. Tonight we are at in Moab camping at some RV park and will be here for a couple days. I will try and get the eye candy caught up, in the mean time here is one of me at the canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 1 web.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	64651  

and the
My Blog

Old 07-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #246
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Wow Rodney, what a great shot of Green River Lake!!!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #247
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
The big ditch

A couple images from the north rim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grand Canyon 2 Crazy Jug web.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	64654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 3 web.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	64655  

and the
My Blog

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Great pictures despite the haze (thanks to the power plants lighting up Arizona and S. Cal. plus, maybe the fires). The haze comes and goes. If you're lucky, no haze some days.

The canyon is so spectacular, even with the haze it's great. And thanks for the shot of your feet, too.

Gene
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #249
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Rodney, have you thought about enhancing your really nice photos a little with HDR, e.g., from Photomatix? I've been thinking about doing it, though it does require a good three matched photos at different exposures ...

Lynn
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #250
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Navajo NM

This place rocks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Navajo NM 2 web.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	64658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navajo NM 3 web.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	64659  

and the
My Blog

Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #251
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
This place rocks!
It sure does! Here's another shot from the longer trail down into the canyon at Betatakin from the center:

And here's one from the campground at sunset, over on the right-hand side:

Back behind the campground is a fence with a gate. Go through and follow the path. It'll take you to a nice viewpoint above a big stretch of slickrock. That's where I took this evening shot:

Lynn
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #252
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Arches NP

This morning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arches 1 web.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	64686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches 2 web.jpg
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	64687  

Name:	Arches 3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	637.5 KB
ID:	64688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches 4.jpg
Size:	778.7 KB
ID:	64689  

and the
My Blog