Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #197
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Another great shot.
The Dunes are a magical place at sundown and sun up.
Don
Thanks Don, hey whats the best place for diesel over that way, and is there a place to get a decent inverter? I am headed your direction in the morning.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Thanks Don, hey whats the best place for diesel over that way, and is there a place to get a decent inverter? I am headed your direction in the morning.
Alamosa is the best place/price for fuel, there is a
wal-mart, City Market, Safeway that have better fuel prices, these are all on the west side of town.. They are about 20 - 30 cents a gallon lower than Monte Vista or Del Norte. Diesel is $4.99 here in Del Norte.

Great, If you have time on your trip give me a call.. I can PM you the numbers.

Don

Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, I found the City Market gas pumps are pretty easy to get a trailer in and out of. The market is on the north side of the highway west of downtown.

Enjoyed your photos, especially one of the "Rio Grande" ones. Helps keep me sane while showing my wife the sights of NYC this week.

Gene
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #200
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I got the glow plug blues

Four of the 8 glow plugs on my mule have permanently checked out it seems making starting up in the morning a near impossibility. So tonight I am camped out next to a mechanics garage in Del Norte Colorado. I'm going to have some clutch work done while here as well.

I met nymphfishin here in town last week over tea and a breakfast burito (first time I have seen gravy on one). Don is a super guy and you can bet I pumped him on local knowledge.

Speaking of which, if you want a SUPERB boondocking site near Creede, go west of town about 2 miles and take a right (don't take a left as you will end up in a pasture) onto Miners Creek road. Proceed up the road until the road splits STAY LEFT (this is very important! more about which in a later post) less than 1/2 mile up the road from that point are several wonderful sites right on the creek. I highly recommend this location.

So far nights have been cold (ranging from the mid to upper 20s) and days in the 70s. There is enough wind here to make an Oklahoman feel right at home . Next stops and general plan is up in the air as nearly $5 diesel is eating me up, not to mention unscheduled auto repair.

and the
My Blog

Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #201
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
If you veer to the right...

Quote:
Proceed up the road until the road splits STAY LEFT (this is very important! more about which in a later post) less than 1/2 mile up the road from that point are several wonderful sites right on the creek. I highly recommend this location.

The split in the road on Miners Creek is deceptive indeed. As mentioned in the previous post, at the split you want to veer left which turns out to be the main road. If you get fooled into taking the right hand branch you end up Rat Creek (not making that up). It goes from a normal FS type road to a narrow end of the road event deceptively fast. Suffice it to say I crossed a narrow bridge that looked to rotted to think about since I couldn't turn around, then through willows crowding the road enough to bend my mirrors back, and then through the narrow/sloped section shown here. Why? I would still be trying to back out so I hoped for the best.....

Not far past the narrows a small area opened up with a gated mine. It was a nice boondock site and I had a nice night greatly releived that things worked out as well as they did. Out of curriosity I walked up the road a bit and about 50 yards further up the road was blocked with a tree and became a jeep road at best . So take my advice on Miners creek road, stay to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	up rat creek.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	61615   Click image for larger version

Name:	rat creek mine.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	61616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	from rat creek mine.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	61617  

and the
My Blog

Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #202
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Routing Conundrum: what would you do?

Here is the problem, diesel prices are spiraling upward, seemingly with no upper limits, I want to range well into the north- into Yellowstone and Idaho. On the other hand, I am already in good camping country in southern Colorado; but then again diesel prices are higher here than up north.

SO, I am debating with myself over proceeding north as planned verses staying in the southern mountains. I'm sure I will have a great trip either way but I was looking forward to seeing Idaho and some more areas of Wyoming that I haven't seen yet.

Given the same situation, what would you do: cover less ground but in more depth, OR stay with the original plan and see more highlights at a greater finical cost?

and the
My Blog

Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #203
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Personally, I would cut out some of the original plan but definitely do the Yellowstone and any other major piece. Fuel prices may be considered high now but who knows where it will be next year and forward from that. With GM's announcement this morning that they are shutting down four plants and believe the fundamental mode of transportation of US citizens has changed it also leads to the thought that they don't see the price of oil coming back down to levels it was at two years ago.

Another consideration is how other things change, like actual ability to do another trip of that length. This is something I'm experiencing. Suddenly trips planned out and thought out over the years that we were going to do as soon as..........are no longer feasible. Hugely disappointing for both of us as we now realize our priorities were not as focused as we wish they would have been.

Although there is a lot to be said for hunkering down in one area and exploring it in detail I still wish we'd of hunkered less a few years ago and gone the distance. In the greater scheme of things the costs would have been absorbed through attrition of some other perk for a while and we would have explored and enjoyed those parts of the country we'd love to see. Now with fuel prices on the rise and health issues we have two supposed obstacles that have to be overcome.

Those are my thoughts, based on my own situation. Others will certainly have differing ideas, but it really comes down to just how badly you want to see those other parts of the country. You are relatively close to home at this stage so getting back to where you are at now at a later date even with costs being higher would make sense.

What ever you determine to do, Rodney, keep those pictures coming. They are a real treat and very much appreciated.

Barry
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #204
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rodney,

It would be hard to add anything to Barry's post. All I can say is that it is very hard, sometimes, to get around to going. Now that you've gotten this far, the cost of continuing the trip is less than it would cost you to leave from home.

But costs and pocketbooks have to match up. Good luck, and thanks for the virtual road trip the rest of us are enjoying.

Pat
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #205
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
Next year the fuel prices of today will seam cheap follow your heart.
Air #25679

silver&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #206
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Its back and forth in my brain. On the other hand, by the time the mechanic gets done it may not be an issue .The glow plugs are half done now, but the clutch is an unknown at this juncture.

and the
My Blog

Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #207
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Problem solved

Looks like I am buying a clutch, so it is less distance and more in depth travel. On the up side, I am in a great general area with plenty to do. If nothing else goes south, I will be in good shape. So it goes.

and the
My Blog

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #208
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Here is the problem, diesel prices are spiraling upward, seemingly with no upper limits, I want to range well into the north- into Yellowstone and Idaho. On the other hand, I am already in good camping country in southern Colorado; but then again diesel prices are higher here than up north.

SO, I am debating with myself over proceeding north as planned verses staying in the southern mountains. I'm sure I will have a great trip either way but I was looking forward to seeing Idaho and some more areas of Wyoming that I haven't seen yet.

Given the same situation, what would you do: cover less ground but in more depth, OR stay with the original plan and see more highlights at a greater finical cost?

Sounds like a genu-wine dilemma... quantity vs. quality... Since you've been looking forward to exploring areas in Wyoming & Idaho, perhaps plan on some focal points - must see places & limit the travel. Your post of "covering less ground but in more depth" still entails travel. If you select fewer places in both Wyoming & Idaho, you have expanded your scope and have made for some possible future destinations. Options.

I don't have a clue where fuel prices will go (but am fairly certain those prices involve politics... ), so being optimistic, we'll be able to adapt in the future. We are the USA and we have always done so. Might hurt some (change happens), be we will and will make it work.

Follow your dreams, Rodney. And post pictures, we're all waiting!!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Being adopted by Colorado, and still discovering places after 30 years living in the state, enjoy Colorado and leave your money here (well, I'm in Indiana right now, not this here, but the "here" of my home). You may still find your way to Crawford.

Actually, there's no answer but the one you find in your heart.

And, Barry, I ran into a friend of yours at the factory today, but we never exchanged our names.

Gene
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #210
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Actually, there's no answer but the one you find in your heart.
Gene
The one in my wallet says Im spending June in Colorado for sure. The clutch on top of the glow plugs was just to much of a hit at one time to push on that far. Having said that, there is more to do here than I will get done, so all that ends well and all of that.

and the
My Blog