Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Padre Beach Bash Kick off!

As of now, I am leaning toward starting the summer 09 tour on the beach at Padre Island NSS. I have been there twice in the winter, but never this time of year. Averages for mid May seem to be in the mid to high 80s which shouldn't be to bad with a breeze coming in.

Anyone in the Corpus Christi area know enough about the tides to tell me how the tides will be the week starting May 10? Both times I have been camping on the sand the tides eventually have run me off to Bird Island, so I have learned to keep an eye on things......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had the tide come in on me in Corpus when I was driving a 34ft MH along the beach. It was foggy at the time and I am a pure dry land Okie, so what did I know. Got off just before becoming a 34ft watercraft. Have a great trip whatever you decide. Think your idea of Padre is the better choice. Had a friend who builds electric sub-stations just barely get away from robbers in Southwest Texas a couple of months ago. They got everything but his shorts at gun point. Took his new F-350, wallet, luggage, clothes and shoes before knocking him and the guys with him to the ground. They felt lucky to have their lives. Please be careful, we enjoy your photos so much we wouldn't want to lose you.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bump on the tide info

Anyone got a link for tide information on padre at CC? The General doesn't want to be an Admiral. Keenly aware of the land in land yacht. I know there is an internet source since the other airstreamers I camp with at Christmas have had them....

Now that I think about it, the REAL piece of information I need is how high does the tide have to get to run you off the beach. Is it 1 1/2 + or what?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
five and a half days to go....

with tons to get done before I pull out. So here I sit in front of the computer instead of doing them . Anyone going to be in the Padre Island area the next few weeks? I would love to meet more of you and even camp on the sand too.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A week late, but on the road.

I FINALLY got on the road today almost a full week later than intended, but these things happen. I was about to pull out of town when I decided I didn't like the look of the rear tires on my mule, so I ran over to Goodyear and had them changed out. Three hours later, and three hundred dollars poorer, I headed south. The head winds were fierce the whole way today. I ended up at Fort Richardson in Jacksboro, TX. I meet a couple from the forums, I think Neil Benton is the correct SN, not sure though. They have a sweet safari and a big ole German Shepard.

Tomorrow, I am pointing the rig south. If I dont get distracted along the way, I will be hitting the beach at Padre tomorrow, if I do, I wont .

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Anyone have the Gila dialed in? Looking at the map, the Cliff Dwellings and hot springs look good, as does the area up by Reserve and Luna.... and maybe into eastern Arizona.

We stayed at Silver City RV Park last year. Silver City RV Park, Silver City, NM It was shaded with trees everywhere and was only a couple of blocks from SC's historic main street and so was an easy walk. Cliff dwellings made for a nice day trip.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The itinerary is completely in the air other than I have to be in Indianapolis at the end of July. I am half way tempted to start out by cutting south and camping on the beach at padre island for a few days. Margaritas, sand between my toes, all that. Then maybe cut over to Big Bend NP and work north. Have any of you ever canoed the canyons at Big Bend NP? I have always wanted to, but I wonder if the water would be high enough and if border issues wouldn't be to much.

Rodney - I couldn't agree with you more re letting criminals ruin your holiday. But the sad truth is that the Texas / Mexico border area is just not a good place to be, especially if your idea of "boondocking" is defined as being a good ways away from other folks. The drug people are getting worse by the day, they simply DO NOT CARE if you live or die, if they need or want anything you have. Including your rig, which might not get as much attention along the border as other means of moving their drugs. I was in the Big Bend area a few years ago, stopped at the inspection areas and was waved on by. May I suggest that if you want some fun places to canoe, consider the Guadelupe (pardon a Texan that can't spell!) River?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Day Three Fort Richardson to Padre Island NSS

What a long day of driving. Rain last night and most of the way down today. The brutal headwinds gave way to brutal side winds so that was a change..... Forecast looks like scattered Tstorms tomorrow then clearer skies and 80s for the next week or so.

I pulled in about an hour ahead of sunset so I opted to hit the ever faithful Bird Island campground. Tomorrow I will check out the tide forecast and probably head out on the sand at south beach (although I have never been on north beach and I am tempted) after topping off the fresh water tanks. Other than that, I have no clear plan.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Check out those tide tables, Rodney, but, just in case, install pontoons on the trailer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The area has been WAY dry and the beach is nowhere as solid as it was at christmas. I pulled out on the beach to camp and got flat-a** stuck. . I eventually got out with the assistance of a tow. I have moved up to the campground. Other than that, the people have been friendly, the weather is clearing up, and the margaritas are excellent . Life is good.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Glad you got out as otherwise you may have left via the roof, either out a fan opening or using a can opener. Enjoy the beach, take photos, and stay on solid ground.

Gene
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Rodney - I couldn't agree with you more re letting criminals ruin your holiday. But the sad truth is that the Texas / Mexico border area is just not a good place to be, especially if your idea of "boondocking" is defined as being a good ways away from other folks. The drug people are getting worse by the day, they simply DO NOT CARE if you live or die, if they need or want anything you have. Including your rig, which might not get as much attention along the border as other means of moving their drugs. I was in the Big Bend area a few years ago, stopped at the inspection areas and was waved on by. May I suggest that if you want some fun places to canoe, consider the Guadelupe (pardon a Texan that can't spell!) River?
Reading all these cautions about the Texas/Mexico Border confirms Doug's belief that Mexico and the whole border area is no place to be---and he is not the cowardly type nor would he leave home without a Colt 45. As for RV's being less suspicious for drug carrying, we have recently had 2 very substantial drug busts on interstates 55 & 57---millions of dollars worth of cocaine. At least one of those was in a newer RV, very unusual---they brought the drug sniffing dogs out and that was the end of that.

Living in the north/south Interstate hub of Illinois, drug busts are not that unusual, cocaine much more so than marijuana, however. Wondered at the time if the US scrutiny toward what is going on down there is increasing traffic and volume in anticipation of some serious intervention. RV's may also be coming under more scrutiny.

Enjoying your posts and pics. Travel safe.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #33
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Big Bend

On the border
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Bend web mono 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	80909  

Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The route

From Padre Island I cut across to Del Rio and then to the state park north of there. Next morning I hit Judge Roy Beans place before pushing on over to Big Bend National Park.

Big Bend was nice, I ended up doing a couple nights at Rio Grande Village. I had planned on boondocking on river road, however, after talking to three different visitor center staff folks and getting three different answers about road conditions, I decided to pass. I have to say the disparity in knowledge about the park on the part of people whose job it is to share that knowledge was disapointing. It was pretty hot there, maybe lower 90s, but not to bad given the time of year I guess. The drive north out of Big Bend was gorgous. Overnighted at Davis Mountains St Park and then pushed on to Guadalupe National Park.

Guadalupe is nice, but was also a tad warmer than I am looking for so one night there was plenty. I did run into a pair of forum members there in the "campground" - HI Denis . The campground rivals the one at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. It is a parking lot, litterally.

Moving on I reached Cloudcroft late this afternoon. Water is a BIG problem here- if you are headed this way fill up before you get here. Tomorrow I think I will look for a boondocking spot over by the observatories. More pics to come as I sort through what I have taken.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A simple landscape from Guadalupe National Park
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Guadalupe nat park web.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	80954  

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good black and white photos. I like the way you are using it to create dramatic effect.

Gene
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Good black and white photos. I like the way you are using it to create dramatic effect.

Gene

Thanks Gene, I have always been a black and white guy, its kind of tricky to work with in photoshop and my laptop isnt the best for editing. Hopefully, I will be able to clean these up at a later date.

Glad to see you had a good trip into the north lands and have returned home safely.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Cloudcroft area things to do?

I'm planing on spending about a week and a half in the south east corner of New Mexico. Other than white sands, what are the things not to be missed in the area?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The Yellow Rose of Texas

Sometimes only color will do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yellow rose of texas web.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	80977  

Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #40
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A peculiar sort of justice..

Gentlemen, I find the law very explicit on murdering your fellow man, but there's nothing here about killing a Chinaman. Case dismissed.
-Roy Bean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roy Beans place web.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	80979