Old 03-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Danny... you were there when I was using that same station. I remember the operator saying... "some day gasoline will be more than 38 cents a gallon". Remember the big dollar slugs... and never left with a full tank because of them.

Had a 1957 Ford V8 block bored and head/valve work done at that same shop on 17th. Sold hot rods to the Airmen as they had the money and I had the time.

Central and Warren Avenue... the Park and Frontier Days... what a wonderful time to been in Cheyenne. Now it has one mall and no horses.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Looks like a Well Servicing Rig.

Several of us had to make sure the four anchors to keep the damn thing from falling over were installed deep enough. At one time, pre 1970, nobody bothered to anchor the rigs and when they had all of the pipe pulled, they would fall over.

Nobody wanted to spend the money to make it safe until the Wyoming OSHA had some young guys who liked wind, rain, snow, mud and made sure the anchors were able to handle the work load.

Was that Water or Oil? What did you do with the trees?
It was just a small well work-over rig. The well is a deep groundwater (1500 ft.) monitoring well. We'd never see a rig that small on an oil well. The trees were about 40 miles behind me.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This is the fuel I hunt out, particularly effective for a twin turbo 3 litre gasoline engine (BMW) that can take full advantage of the 94 AKI rating:

Jeff
Yes - it was nice to run 94 octane that we found in the East. We only have 91 here in the West, unless you want to pay for special racing fuel.

Most of the fuel we use is Shell, which is ethanol free.

There is a challenge when the pump reads "includes up to X ethanol" and the label is under the reg & MidGrd, but does not clearly exclude the premium, So we try to buy brands that specifically advertise no E. Pat
Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #46
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
The corn belt states in the 1980s and 90s are the culprit. The law didn't specify a percentage blend, rather it imposed a set amount of ethanol the oil companies had to buy. 10% for a long time covered it, but, increases in MPG and smaller, lighter cars decreases gas consumption to the point where oil companies are having to do 15 or 20% blends. This is a law which needs to be changed, as the use of corn in fuel also increases the cost of food. Some vehicles, such as Flex Fuel types, can handle the added alcohol but the Ecoboost ones should not use the higher blends.

Although the use of ethanol helps with emissions, as it is a clean burning fuel, properly tuned engines and intact emission control equipment accomplish the job using 100% gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Ah, easy to wish for the day in the early 60s and $0.08 per gallon gasoline with full service.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Ah, easy to wish for the day in the early 60s and $0.08 per gallon gasoline with full service.

Well, not that good in the mid 60's around Kansas City, MO. Regular was running between 18 cents to 21 cents and premium 23 cents to 25 cents a gallon. Was leaded fuel relish and Premium bluish... at the time?

When the ladders came out and were leaning against the sign with the prices... time to decide if the prices were going UP or DOWN and think quick.

I was making $1.68 an hour at the time. At today's gasoline prices, using wage per hour and what you could buy... I had a great deal in 1966.

I still remember 1956 in northwestern Montana where they had those visible tops with the gallons marked on a medal gauge. The guy would crank the pump and would fill the cylinder on top with fuel. Might have been up to 10 gallons.

Then when customer and service attendant were content with the volume, it flowed out of the cylinder and into the gas tank. If you ended up with too much, I do not remember that... but some of you might remember how it could return, nor how that was settled.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In 1967/68 time frame, the Amoco white premium gas was all the rage on the East coast with no "fillers". The performance engined sports cars loved it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #50
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
We used one of the glass vessel delivery pumps well into late seventies to fuel a variety of company vehicles. It was an interesting opportunity to experience the simple tech that enabled the pioneers of the motoring public used to fuel their rides. However, not having to pump a full tank with a hand pump is worth paying a bit more for fuel. Pat
Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
PKI... I am impressed. Two of us know what the other is talking about!

I would row hay or help dig mud out of an irrigation channel to collect fossils on a Ranch in Nebraska and also they would top off my gasoline tank. They had a big barrel on a derrick with a gravity hose to dispense the fuel. Beat that one...

Another caveat that station attendants employed in their youth would tell you. When you see a Fuel Tanker filling the storage tanks... it would flush out all of the sediment in the tank. Although the pump filter is suppose to eliminate the debris... some places I cannot imagine that the pump is accurate in its metering, than expect anything to be filtered out except large rocks and livestock.

I am sure that those drivers of fuel tankers know... which tank each kind of fuel is suppose to go...? Maybe at the "company stations", but what about those who are undercutting everyone in price and will take what ever is left of a fuel delivery from... Uncle Jim the tanker driver. It is easy to imagine all of things actually happening, still. I will see stations in town that are priced much lower while traveling... and nobody is pumping gas. At least not local license plates.

I like the fuel used in Army training helicopters... it might have been 180 octane. Would burn out your valves in an automobile, but cannot imagine they have to add ethanol to make the fuel "safe for the environment".

As you can see. Being an Airstream owner gives you extra driving time from one place to another towing a trailer... to imagine what the world would be like with millions of horses and wagons in major cities, like Downtown Chicago or San Francisco. With or without... corn additives. Obviously not a concern then, nor one today.

: This has not been checked for accuracy nor spell cheeking.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #52
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Oil Patch thread drift

Well, to top that one, lets try a couple of diverse concepts.

Fuel - that gravity drain from the rig is something that I can't quite recall the name that folks who ran it used to call it. It was something like white gas, but may have been lightning in a bottle. Without any additives or refining it was supposed to be interesting stuff. The people I heard about it from said folks would only run it in an old klunker, because it ruined a good engine. Still, it kept a lot of farmers, oil patch workers, kids, and fuel filchers rolling down the road.

Trailer time - stories - certainly oil patch related. The oil rigs got moved around a lot. Pipe and equipment was moved around as well. Many of those old trucks that got pressed into service were OK for level roads, but when the hills had to be climbed, they needed help to get the heavy loads up and over. Sometimes they got a winch ride up. Sometimes just a good running start got the job done. But the most interesting story I ever heard was the practice of blocking the wheels, gunning the engine and dropping the clutch. The truck would move a few feet and the swamper would rechock the wheels to keep the rig from rolling back down the hill. The process was repeated until they got the rig over the crest. Of course there was always another hill on the other side. Was told that it made for a long work day.

Lunch time on the welded tank side of the street was always interesting when the old timers started talking about their field experiences.

Apology for the thread drift. Pat
Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #53
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Gas was dyed according to retail brand. Sunoco had blue, Gulf was orangish. Not sure what Standard was. I know that the dye was often added to the station's underground tank, as the gas tanker would serve several competing stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote