Old 07-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Gasing up when on the road-newbie here

What's your best advice for gasing up when on the road? Truck stops? (Still looking for our unit, but 31' travel trailer is possibility.)
Thanks.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We look for truck stops. Flying J's seem to accomodate RV'ers a little better than most. They have seperate RV fill stations with Gas, Diesel, Air, Water, LP and Dump Stations. They also have an RV Frequent Fueler card which is good for a penny off per gallon.

We've used stations big and small but prefer a major station right off the higway whenever possible.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have a diesel now, so I stop mostly at large truck stops. Flying J, Loves, etc. Flying J is my favorite because of the separate RV island. I will also use the truck pumps when no auto diesel is available. I have to hand-hold the truck nozzles because they don't go very far into the filler neck. I fill up when unhitched whenever possible; with the range of the diesel, that will cover a half-day of driving.

When I used gasoline, I would look for large stations with many pumps. Best when the pumps are parallel to the road so that I could pull straight through, but any large station would do. I would leave the trailer cocked when necessary so that others could get by behind me. Only once or twice was I forced to use a small station and have the wife spot so that I could back out. Not much fun!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gasing up when on the road-newbie here

Greetings Gardener!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener
What's your best advice for gasing up when on the road? Truck stops? (Still looking for our unit, but 31' travel trailer is possibility.)
Thanks.
When on the Interstate, I agree with swebster - - Flying J Truckstops are about the only sure bet when it comes to accommodating RVs. One of my most memorable difficult turnarounds was at an auto island at a non-Flying J Truckstop - - the auto islands deadended in such a way that a tight U-turn was required to exit.

Since most of my travel is on secondary highways, I don't count on Flying Js being available. When towing with the Suburban, I typically start looking at 1/2 tank (190 miles remaining with Overlander/225 miles remaining with Minuet) for a station that isn't going to put me in some type of deadend - - unless an empty tank is perilously close, I continue looking until I can identify a station with an easy-in/easy-out for my tow vehicle/trailer combination. My findings have been that most of the convenience store type gas stations are designed to discourage RVers from using the pumps - - my usual stop is at an older service station from the 1950s-1960s where the pumps parallel the highway with ample turn-in/turn-out room. So far, I have only had one time where the fuel level was so low that I resorted to unhooking the trailer so that I could fill the tow vehicle at a convenience store/gas station.

Good luck in your search for an Airstream!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One additional note. We recently added a laptop based GPS to our travel bag. While we have yet to use it it has most of the major gas stations noted so planning fuel stops should be a little easier. There are many times I've pulled off and paid more just because I was getting below 1/2 when one or two exits down was a bigger station with a lower price. I'm hopeful that this additional information will save us hassle and money.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
You should try the book "The Next Exit". Camping World carries it, $11.60. It tells you what is at every stop on all US Freeways. Not much good on the back roads, but has saved us a lot of hunting when looking for gas stations, food, Walmart, etc. It not only tells you what's up ahead, but which side of the road and how far from the freeway.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
grizzy - yes..we have that book too. It's all about information!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Gassing up

We just returned from an 8,000 mile trip in 4 weeks. The best tool we used to aid us in our search for fuel was THE NEXT EXIT. This is a guide you can find in good book stores and at RV dealers. It covers all the interstates in the country and tell you what is coming up on the interstates exits.

We used it a lot on this trip and wonder why we never had one before. As for fueling up. Look for the truck stops. Lots of room to turn, enter and exit.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Smile Thanks for good tips

Didn't want to have to be hooking/unhooking each time. Have a feeling we'll be heading for the bookstore first! Thanks for the good ideas.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I also purchased the Next Exit books and they were invaluable when I traveled to AZ. to pick up my 31'. I have also considered buying a Transfer Flow gas tank which will replace my 26 gallon tank with one of around 50 gallons. I could pick and choose a little more where to fill up if I had additional gas in the tank to work with.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Along with the others who have posted, Flying J and Loves accomodate RVs and usually have better prices. When we're not on the Interstates I look for stations where the pumps are parallel to the highway (or the convenience store) and have an exit/entrance at both ends. The latter is especially important as I had to pull the trailer around the back of a station north of Williams AZ in the dirt (very narrow and rough). I have also found that stations at the intersection of major secondary roads (like US Highways) can be as big as the Interstate truck stops.
Ken