Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Gas, trip expenses, cash and plastic

I'd like to hear how people deal with the issue of cash on long road trips-specifically as it relates to the high cost of gas currently. We're planning a 5000 mile trip and we're budgeting about 2K just for gas averaging 10mpg. Do you get prepaid Visa or Mastercards, do you get prepaid gas cards? Is there a combination of cards that you use and why? Obviously want to be safe and will need to carry money for tolls, laundry money and some other cash but would like to minimize it as much as possible. Suggestions, solutions, ideas and experience all welcome.
Thanks!

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
We use a debit card for all expenditures and carry a little cash for emergencies
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
About $400 cash and debit card and Walmart card for gas.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Some cash and a debit card.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
We use credit cards wherever possible. We travel with two sets of cards. One set we carry for general use, and one stashed away in a secure location in the trailer.

If we lose or have reason to cancel the first set of cards, then we have the second set as a backup.

We'll carry some cash for those items for which we cannot use credit.

We don't usually have concerns about hitting our credit limit on the cards - but if we do, we'll prepay an amount on the card. You can carry a balance on a credit card...
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We use a credit card that we then pay in full every month. We take some cash but not a lot.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
50% cash 50% credit card. The cc is paid at end of trip. Really do not use our bank debit card since it is harder to dispute fraud, if any. Been thru this before.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Many gas stations now will not accept credit cards. And if they do, the price is considerably higher than the cash price.

Just another aggravation to live with in today's world.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We use a credit card that we then pay in full every month. We take some cash but not a lot.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Many gas stations now will not accept credit cards. And if they do, the price is considerably higher than the cash price.

Just another aggravation to live with in today's world.

Dave
Depends on where you are. I travel the I-95 and I-81 corridors way too frequently and outside of a few stations in SC I have don't typically see the cash/credit price difference. I have yet to have a station that doesn't take credit cards.

I typically carry a couple of different credit cards that are paid in full monthly, plus enough cash for a couple of fill ups just to be on the safe side. I WILL NOT use a debit card to pay for gas, prefer not to use them at all.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
For domestic travel in Canada we use credit, debit and cash. When crossing the border as we do a fair bit, a credit card (or three) is essential as our credit union debit cards won't work in another country. We do carry a little cash as well, but not much. We don't go too far off the beaten track so we've yet to have any issue with cards in either Canada or the US.

My big beef is paying at the pumps for gas; with an non-US credit card, we can't enter a Zip Code into the pump so at most gas stations we end up having to go into the booth and pay before pumping - it's only a minor hassle but a hassle all the same. I'm told that Pilot/Flying J do a card that can solve this problem but I've yet to follow that up.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I keep some cash on me for things like dinner in restaurants, etc. For all other purchases, I use my credit card, because it does not require a PIN like my debit card does.
I can log into my bank thru my computer or my bat fone at any time, and transfer funds from various accounts to pay off the credit card.

I have not found a gas station yet that does not take credit cards in my recent travels, but to be honest, I'm never far off the beaten track, and I don't go to Canada anymore, so I can't comment on how their gas stations work.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
American Express credit card from Costco will pay you 3% cash back (in Feb) on gas purchases at any station that accepts American Express. And if you can find a Costco every now and again to buy your gas, that usually is a great price as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
For domestic travel in Canada we use credit, debit and cash. When crossing the border as we do a fair bit, a credit card (or three) is essential as our credit union debit cards won't work in another country. We do carry a little cash as well, but not much. We don't go too far off the beaten track so we've yet to have any issue with cards in either Canada or the US.

My big beef is paying at the pumps for gas; with an non-US credit card, we can't enter a Zip Code into the pump so at most gas stations we end up having to go into the booth and pay before pumping - it's only a minor hassle but a hassle all the same. I'm told that Pilot/Flying J do a card that can solve this problem but I've yet to follow that up.
Gas pumps in at least some locations frequented by Canadians (Ogdensburg, NY for example) accept the numbers only from the Postal Code when asked to enter the Zip code. Saves the walk into the station.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
Gas pumps in at least some locations frequented by Canadians (Ogdensburg, NY for example) accept the numbers only from the Postal Code when asked to enter the Zip code. Saves the walk into the station.
Never found one that works for us, not yet anyway, but thanks for the tip about Ogdensburg - other places in NY will probably do it as well.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
(1.) We use a credit card that we then
(2.) pay in full every month.
(3.) We take some cash but not a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I keep some cash on me for things like dinner in restaurants, etc. For all other purchases,
(4.) I use my credit card, because it does not require a PIN like my debit card does.
I can log into my bank thru my computer or my bat fone at any time, and transfer funds from various accounts to pay off the credit card.

(5.) I have not found a gas station yet that does not take credit cards in my recent travels, but to be honest, I'm never far off the beaten track, and I don't go to Canada anymore, so I can't comment on how their gas stations work.
Hi, One through five of the above. We don't have a debit card and don't use ATM's.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Stow cash in safe place

Call cc Company and tell them to expect irregular charges along route.

Don't worry!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
!be carefuk using the credit cards. new banking regulations allow for some huge surcharges now. i got hit in florida for a surcharge that would have [aid for a nice supper including a nice tip.

most stations cut you off around $100.00 so keep a second card handy if you go that route,
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The $75 or $100 "pre-auth" transaction limit is per swipe. All you have to do is start a new sales transaction when the pump stops; and you're good for another $75 or $100. It's a little inconvenient, but it helps the merchant reduce credit card fraud.

Also, the "pre-auth" limit is not imposed by your credit card company. It's a function of the gas station or store chain and/or third party card processor.

We use American Express, because they favor the cardholder in disputes; and it's easy to process a chargeback when you have problems. Plus, their card is accepted more widely than it used to be. However, we carry Visa and Discover as backups, along with a little cash.

Text extract from DailyMarkets.com regarding the Discover It card (from Discover Financial):

"Earn 5% Cashback Bonus in rotating categories. This is another attractive benefit this card will offer you. It can help you save a lot of money by giving you 5% cash back in rotating categories such as gas, travel, restaurants, etc, which change throughout the year. Important note: You must sign up (it’s free and you can do it online or through the phone) for each 5% program! If you spend more than the specified amount for each 5% program, the excess will automatically earn 1% cash back."

Note: Gas is the 5% cashback bonus category for the quarter beginning this July (2013). We are using Discover for our fuel purchases this summer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The $75 or $100 "pre-auth" transaction limit is per swipe. All you have to do is start a new sales transaction when the pump stops; and you're good for another $75 or $100. It's a little inconvenient, but it helps the merchant reduce credit card fraud.

Also, the "pre-auth" limit is not imposed by your credit card company. It's a function of the gas station or store chain and/or third party card processor.

We use American Express, because they favor the cardholder in disputes; and it's easy to process a chargeback when you have problems. Plus, their card is accepted more widely than it used to be. However, we carry Visa and Discover as backups, along with a little cash.

Text extract from DailyMarkets.com regarding the Discover It card (from Discover Financial):

"Earn 5% Cashback Bonus in rotating categories. This is another attractive benefit this card will offer you. It can help you save a lot of money by giving you 5% cash back in rotating categories such as gas, travel, restaurants, etc, which change throughout the year. Important note: You must sign up (it’s free and you can do it online or through the phone) for each 5% program! If you spend more than the specified amount for each 5% program, the excess will automatically earn 1% cash back."

Note: Gas is the 5% cashback bonus category for the quarter beginning this July (2013). We are using Discover for our fuel purchases this summer.
I have hit more than one station where it would not let you do a second transaction once you hit the pre-authorization limit due to potential fraud. Those are few and far between, but still a PITA when you are trying to buy around $300 worth of diesel. I know where 3 of them are at in eastern NC and won't purchase from them anymore. The other thing that irritates me is when they want you to pre-pay a set amount prior to pumping... I don't know EXACTLY how much it is going to take...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
One reason I still use my AAA Visa. When I signed up, the deal was 5% back on fuel purchases (pay-at-the-pump only), year-round. They keep sending me "invitations" to switch my discount to some other category that I hardly ever use, but I never change it over; a dozen years later, I still get 5% back on fuel purchases.

Side note, how many of you carry traveler's checks? They're old-fashioned, but safer to carry than large sums of cash, and so far the only places I've found that don't accept them are fast-food restaurants.