Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #41
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Cash and Debit

Rayandre,

We use ATM's to get cash along the way and a debit card for gas purchases. A few years ago we we're on a three week trip from California to Glacier Natl. Park and at one of the KOA's we stayed at one of their employees decided to use our credit card to charge for some very expensive electronic gear.

Our bank took care of us and we didn't get dinged for the charges; since then we have set up a separate debit card account with our bank and when we get ready to go on vacation we put just enough money into that account to cover our gas expenses.

It's not 100% bullet proof but at least we minimize most of the nasty stuff the cochroaches of the world like to do to us honest folks.

Good Luck,
Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Visa card woes, good alternate card

I travel with a credit card, cash (as little as possible), and travelers checks (American Express) ,as a back up. Never had a problem with the travelers checks, but I know they are a rare bird these days. However, I sometimes have a problem with Visa blocking my card because they think it is stolen due to the amount of gas I puchase and the distance I will drive in a day. I have been blocked even when I notify them of my itinerary. Most recently it was near Atikokan, Canada. When I called the fraud people at the bank they said it was due the fact I was in a high risk area ; the last high risk area was a major brand truck stop near Atlanta. Give me a break , its not like I'm in some remote area of China (that I understand).

Anyway I'm looking for specific recommendations for a back up credit card- no fees , a good rebate , great service , and not prone to blocking. I probably get at least two or three solicitations from credit card companies every week but it is hard to sort through their babble.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #43
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey 63, I found that the Capitol 1 Venture card to fit my needs. No svc charges and best of all no international service charges either so when you travel into Canada you're good. Works for me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I also had probs. with chase master cards would not honor fuel pur. in middle of nite had to call straiten out, semis use a lot of fuel various states. When I [thret.] to cancel all cards they still did this until I finaly got str. out but much lost sleep & unhappy drivers
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Headed to western Canada later this year. What cards are best for Canadian gas stations?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We always use our AX card when possible. They are great to cancel or hold any dispute you may have and if you lose your card or some other tragedy they are super quick to make it right for you! They also provide excellent details on one's spending so it is easy to calculate for trips, taxes, etc. If you lose a prepaid card.... well.... and debit cards don't have the security that credit cards do, one can cancel a credit card, but a debit card means you might have to close your bank account...especially if it is stolen or lost!

We always split our cash so both of us have cash in case we need it, that way if one loses a wallet at least we have the other...

With all that said we have never lost a card or cash when traveling, misplacing things at home...now that is another matter!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote