Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
(1.) We use a credit card that we then
(2.) pay in full every month.
(3.) We take some cash but not a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I keep some cash on me for things like dinner in restaurants, etc. For all other purchases,
(4.) I use my credit card, because it does not require a PIN like my debit card does.
I can log into my bank thru my computer or my bat fone at any time, and transfer funds from various accounts to pay off the credit card.

(5.) I have not found a gas station yet that does not take credit cards in my recent travels, but to be honest, I'm never far off the beaten track, and I don't go to Canada anymore, so I can't comment on how their gas stations work.
Hi, One through five of the above. We don't have a debit card and don't use ATM's.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Stow cash in safe place

Call cc Company and tell them to expect irregular charges along route.

Don't worry!

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
!be carefuk using the credit cards. new banking regulations allow for some huge surcharges now. i got hit in florida for a surcharge that would have [aid for a nice supper including a nice tip.

most stations cut you off around $100.00 so keep a second card handy if you go that route,
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The $75 or $100 "pre-auth" transaction limit is per swipe. All you have to do is start a new sales transaction when the pump stops; and you're good for another $75 or $100. It's a little inconvenient, but it helps the merchant reduce credit card fraud.

Also, the "pre-auth" limit is not imposed by your credit card company. It's a function of the gas station or store chain and/or third party card processor.

We use American Express, because they favor the cardholder in disputes; and it's easy to process a chargeback when you have problems. Plus, their card is accepted more widely than it used to be. However, we carry Visa and Discover as backups, along with a little cash.

Text extract from DailyMarkets.com regarding the Discover It card (from Discover Financial):

"Earn 5% Cashback Bonus in rotating categories. This is another attractive benefit this card will offer you. It can help you save a lot of money by giving you 5% cash back in rotating categories such as gas, travel, restaurants, etc, which change throughout the year. Important note: You must sign up (it’s free and you can do it online or through the phone) for each 5% program! If you spend more than the specified amount for each 5% program, the excess will automatically earn 1% cash back."

Note: Gas is the 5% cashback bonus category for the quarter beginning this July (2013). We are using Discover for our fuel purchases this summer.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The $75 or $100 "pre-auth" transaction limit is per swipe. All you have to do is start a new sales transaction when the pump stops; and you're good for another $75 or $100. It's a little inconvenient, but it helps the merchant reduce credit card fraud.

Also, the "pre-auth" limit is not imposed by your credit card company. It's a function of the gas station or store chain and/or third party card processor.

We use American Express, because they favor the cardholder in disputes; and it's easy to process a chargeback when you have problems. Plus, their card is accepted more widely than it used to be. However, we carry Visa and Discover as backups, along with a little cash.

Text extract from DailyMarkets.com regarding the Discover It card (from Discover Financial):

"Earn 5% Cashback Bonus in rotating categories. This is another attractive benefit this card will offer you. It can help you save a lot of money by giving you 5% cash back in rotating categories such as gas, travel, restaurants, etc, which change throughout the year. Important note: You must sign up (itís free and you can do it online or through the phone) for each 5% program! If you spend more than the specified amount for each 5% program, the excess will automatically earn 1% cash back."

Note: Gas is the 5% cashback bonus category for the quarter beginning this July (2013). We are using Discover for our fuel purchases this summer.
I have hit more than one station where it would not let you do a second transaction once you hit the pre-authorization limit due to potential fraud. Those are few and far between, but still a PITA when you are trying to buy around $300 worth of diesel. I know where 3 of them are at in eastern NC and won't purchase from them anymore. The other thing that irritates me is when they want you to pre-pay a set amount prior to pumping... I don't know EXACTLY how much it is going to take...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
"Earn 5% Cashback Bonus in rotating categories. This is another attractive benefit this card will offer you. It can help you save a lot of money by giving you 5% cash back in rotating categories such as gas, travel, restaurants, etc, which change throughout the year. Important note: You must sign up (it’s free and you can do it online or through the phone) for each 5% program! If you spend more than the specified amount for each 5% program, the excess will automatically earn 1% cash back."
One reason I still use my AAA Visa. When I signed up, the deal was 5% back on fuel purchases (pay-at-the-pump only), year-round. They keep sending me "invitations" to switch my discount to some other category that I hardly ever use, but I never change it over; a dozen years later, I still get 5% back on fuel purchases.

Side note, how many of you carry traveler's checks? They're old-fashioned, but safer to carry than large sums of cash, and so far the only places I've found that don't accept them are fast-food restaurants.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Stow cash in safe place

Call cc Company and tell them to expect irregular charges along route.

Don't worry!
^
X2

It was a PITA when our debit was refused because of unusual usage. But good to know they were on their toe's.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have hit more than one station where it would not let you do a second transaction once you hit the pre-authorization limit due to potential fraud. Those are few and far between, but still a PITA when you are trying to buy around $300 worth of diesel. I know where 3 of them are at in eastern NC and won't purchase from them anymore. The other thing that irritates me is when they want you to pre-pay a set amount prior to pumping... I don't know EXACTLY how much it is going to take...
I haven't had that happen, but one of the advantages of a diesel engine is using pumps for tractor trailers in truck stops: They have higher credit limits. I haven't hit one yet using a truck pump. And the faster flow rate means that I'm done faster, too.

I hate the pre-pay thing. The station I use at home did that to me once, and this is the same station that supplies diesel for the local FedEx fleet, so they should be used to not knowing how much it'll take. This station doesn't have pay-at-the-pump for diesel, so the ritual is that I walk into the station and hand over the credit card before I even touch the pump...so what's the problem? They have my credit card! He claimed it was an "after dark" rule... I said, "We've NEVER had to do that before here." The rule hasn't been enforced since that one incident, although I'm not sure I've been there after dark since then either.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Most banks now have smart phone apps that allow you to check your accounts daily to identify fraudulent activity if it were to occur from the use of credit/debit cards on the road. I tend to check mine often.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
American Express green card. No interest, paid in full each month, no limit. Pocket cash for minor expenses. Coffee, tolls, etc. It is taken almost everywhere I've tried to use it.

Always have a hidden stash of 2 $100 bills as "emergency money"
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
We never use debit cards. In 2011, while coming back from Iowa, we got a call from US Bank Visa. They wanted to know if we were in London buying hardware. Had it been a debit card, the thief could have cleaned out our account. We always tell Visa when and where we travel.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Some very good tips on letting cc companies know of travel plans. We have had card accounts frozen because of use in areas away from home. We now alert them before traveling.
Dan
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you notify the CC company prior to any overseas trip make sure you call them during their business day. We remembered to call when on the way to the airport for a trip to Spain and it was late on a Friday. Upon arrival I went to the car rentals and was denied. Fortunately my daughters card worked and we were OK. All was OK after monday morning. After getting home I called to complain and they told me I had called after business on Friday and my request was not processed until Monday. So the irregular purchases were denied. So, good that they are watching but you gotta think ahead.

We travel with a couple of cards and some cash. My bank is pretty much all over so I can use the ATM from them pretty easy and others if necessary. I did find a card that does not charge international service charges so when traveling in Canada or overseas that works nicely. I use the cards for all gas and most camping purchases. Have never ran into a gas station that is cash only. Some campgrounds, yes. AND, pay them up when we get home. So far so good.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel in Lucy for as long as ten weeks at a time. We use credit cards whenever possible. We use a AAA Visa through Bank of America and a GM MasterCard through Capital One. We also carry about $1,000 in cash and a check book. We don't carry a balance on our credit cards, so interest rates are irrelevant. We get our statements on-line, and also bank on-line. This allows us to keep up with our bills during extended periods on the road. Campgrounds that don't take credit cards will usually take a personal check. We have found that this is sometimes necessary to get the Passport America rate. We also bank at Wells Fargo which gives us free ATMs pretty much nationwide.

The AAA Visa gives us a 5% cash rebate on at-the-pump fuel purchases. At $4/gal that amounts to 20 cent per gallon discount. Keep in mind that we use a lot of fuel every year, but our total fuel rebate in 2012 was $671.

We also use our GM MasterCard to get the maximum $500 new vehicle rebate every year. We got a $3,500 rebate on the 2011 Silverado that we bought in 2011. We have had this card for 20 years. Over the past 20 years we have redeemed a total of $14,058 on 5 new GM vehicles.

These are the things that work for us. We have set up our lives so that we can stay on the road as long as we care to.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote