Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #71
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You're on it, RV - add in the dollar devaluation that is the result of all this stimulus plus the currect uncertainty abroad and it's a pretty potent mix.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv-Voyager View Post
Drive less, stay longer is our plan we call it CHANGE!

Before blaming speculators...The ban on Gulf drilling has been lifted and yet not a single permit has been issue to this day! Who fault is that?
According to the national news this week, one permit has been issued to resume work on an off-shore well on the GOM, that was in progress when the ban was issued.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi All, Please stay away from the political side of the rising gas prices.

Politics and Airforums is not a good mix.

Thanks for your cooperation.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
...that's why i bought an airstream. i wanna look good and be comfortable while i'm waitin' for my gas! see ya'll at the pumps or the cheese lines....
I second that! I have a 1ton diesel pick up and figure oh well! Maybe Ill give up buying Chinese junk.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Modified travel but travel we will. Picnic lunches like the old days back in the fifties will save more than enough to make up for the price of gas. No more fast food or Cracker Barrels and that will be a GOOD thing.

Spring Break to Florida and a New England/Canada loop in the summertime are all in the planning stages.

Should it get so bad we can't afford to travel we'll mothball the Silver Bullet until or if things change for the better.

Get out there America! Change is coming!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #76
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c177tx View Post
3000 mile trip at $3.00 per gallon at 14mpg 70 mph = $642.00
3000 mile trip at $5.00 per gallon at 16mpg 55 mph = $937.00

$ 295.00 dollars and going a little slower on a 21 day trip = 14 dollars a day. I should be able to find the extra money in the couch, or have garage sale. But it is easiser to go find or make that 300 bucks than to not have the memories. And if I can not make that extra 300 bucks then I will just shorten the trip by a 1000 miles
One can also spend more time in trip planning, specifically, the routing from one locale to another. Major metro areas tend to be 100-miles wide along the big roads going in & out of them, and this traffic type is neither pleasant to drive in nor fuel efficient. While it is easier W of the 98th meridian, and nearly impossible E of a line extending from D.C. to Cleveland, a significant percentage change in FE for an entire vacation is possible. Commercial traffic does it all the time. The shortest distance is not always the best. But I must know the cost trade-off: How far out-of-route may I travel?

While one may not "find" $300 this way on one trip (and it requires keeping track of all fuel used, not just on vacation), the savings of traffic routing can be applied to normal life by combining trips and using free online sources to plan a large loop from and to the house on a Saturday of errand running. And to do no other driving that weekend.

I've been surprised by this as my mental map capabilities are high, but a recent set of stops at suppliers (new to me) via suggested routing was both faster and shorter. I'll "go out of route" up to 10% if that means avoiding stop-n-go while doing errands. UPS, for example, sets up "right turn only" routing to avoid idling.

One can easily find the entire fuel budget for a years worth of vacations via this method. One looks for percentage changes: an increase in average mph (via engine hours versus distance), and an increase in average mpg (miles over gallons). The final calculation is the fuel cost per mile. 12-cents handily trumps 16-cents over 15k annually.

We should assume that fuel will stabilize at $5/gl in the next few years. And consider ourselves lucky if it does.

The "greenest" TV is the one that's paid for. And the best TV is the one that lasts the longest (time & miles) with like-new performance (and reliability). A bit of discipline in planning is all that's required for these. Highest FE per vehicle is also indicative of greatest component, system and vehicle (a system of systems) lifespans.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
All but one of our trips is within state. Usually the higher the price of gas the closer we camp to home.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #78

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I feel for some of the remote privately owned campgrounds. Many run on a thread anyway and it doesn't take much more to put them over the edge. I have one that I stay in up in Door County Wisconsin that is a wonderful destination campground. Used to be if you didn't get your reservation in early, you wouldn't find a spot. Much different now and combined with a short season you sometimes wonder how long these folks can hold on.

It's just not the cost of gas to travel, it's the way the cost infiltrates into every commodity we purchase.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #79
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I can't speak for a campground in your area, but our experience was pretty different: We noticed a distinct change in the business, but no special drop in business. In particular, we found that folks who would normally travel from, say, Texas to Wyoming would travel only as far as CO or NM. And they'd stay put longer. It amounted to a redistribution of campers, not a drop per se.

My suspicion is that the effect you'll see will be at "end of the line" campgrounds: Places that are not close to any population centers. I would imagine, for example, campgrounds that would make their living from RVers making the long trek from the lower 48 to Alaska.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I feel for some of the remote privately owned campgrounds. Many run on a thread anyway and it doesn't take much more to put them over the edge. I have one that I stay in up in Door County Wisconsin that is a wonderful destination campground. Used to be if you didn't get your reservation in early, you wouldn't find a spot. Much different now and combined with a short season you sometimes wonder how long these folks can hold on.

It's just not the cost of gas to travel, it's the way the cost infiltrates into every commodity we purchase.

Jack
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #80

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Modified travel but travel we will. Picnic lunches like the old days back in the fifties will save more than enough to make up for the price of gas. No more fast food or Cracker Barrels and that will be a GOOD thing.
That was one of the main points behind buying the trailer in the first place for us. If you go somewhere and stay in a hotel and eat out every meal, you'll spend way more than the difference in gas to tow your trailer there. We've had some great vacations we couldn't have afforded to do without the trailer.

This year we're planning a few trips within OR/WA. There's so much to see in our own part of the country that we haven't got to yet!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
... I know that paying over $50 to fill my CAR sure sucks... I just did that along I-5 (California) heading to LA right now. I don't think I have ever paid that much as I did today for a tank full of gas, and I know it's gonna be worse IN Los Angeles....
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
White line

Since the WHITE LINE IS THE LIFE LINE TO THE NATION even the stuff from China has to see a truck some time.
So ALL items we buy will/have gone up. I.E. King Crab legs now $20/lb,I can not buy. Stake I can no longer buy it or most beef.Butter it was less than $2/LB here,Same brand today $2.57.
So hange on to your Airstream, you may not have the BIG $$$$$ to tow it any place BUT it will beat living under a bridge.I plan on parking in the parking lot at the food bank.
Any idiot can face a crisis-It's day to day living that wears you out.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Hmmm... I'm wondering if you could tow an airstream with a Prius? If you calculate the total cost of ownership and factor in that you'll likely kill the car in half it's expected life... It just might make fiscal sense anyway. Don't these electrics have loads of torque? That's what you need for towing. And aren't the brakes regenerative? To my thinking all that added heft should make it brake harder and charge faster. Perhaps we could band together and ask the DOT to formalize a study with the assistance of Sixty Minutes and Ralph Nader? - smiles.

Sent from my iPod touch using AIR Forums