Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
GAS STATION TANGO... or waltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I like those 44 ouncers because I like to get all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Just wait till you figure out if Five Hour Energy, Red Bull or Monster on top of that Dew is the kicker.

from the AIRphone

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Like others, I hate doing the Gas Station Tango (more like Heavy Metal Mosh Pit action). Everyone seems to just go crazy! To minimizes fill ups with the trailer in tow, fill up the tow vehicle before leaving the house and the RV Park you are staying at.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I like those 44 ouncers because I like to get all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

Been there, done that without knowing what all was in it. Nobody wants to see it again.

Steve, (properly medicated for your protection).
Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Interstate travel is the worst because you can't size up a station a head of time. You have to get off the interstate and see if there is a place easy to get into and sometimes get back on the interstate and play exit roulette.

We go to FL a lot and know all the good places to stop and how to get in and out. You can also use the satellite view on your phone to see which stations have their pumps located parallel to the road instead of pointed towards the store. Sometimes paying an extra dime a gallon can save you lots of time and reduce the risk of getting into an accident. Access is more important than saving $5 on a $100+ fill-up.

I love having a gas tow vehicle. I can fill up at any pump at any station that I can get in and out of. I don't like truck stops and all the circus you have to deal with. The places that are stop and robs with truck pumps are good places. I try to stay away from Flying-J type places etc. Sometimes you just have to be on the lookout for places easy to get in and out of. Top off your tank when you can and it gives you options down the road. My Excursion has a 44 gallon tank. I would not like driving a pickup with only a 20 gallon tank. We would be stopping every couple of hours to fill up.

Perry
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Many of the truck stops like FlyingJ don't have pay at the truck pump out here in the west with a typical credit card. Corporate trucking company card not a problem but not your AMEX or MC card. Typically you walk in, tell them how much to put on the pump ($100) pump it. Then I go back inside to get the final receipt. If it is less than $100 then it goes back to your credit card. No issue. CampingWorld membership includes 3 cents off at Pilot/Flying J. Use your Costco Amex card and get an additional 3% off on any fuel purchases.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I look at getting gas as a waste of time. I want to be in and out and pay at the pump is the only way to go. I drive off it the credit card thing does not work.

Perry
Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Costco Amex does not provide a discount on diesel. When driving my moho, I charged about $15,000 in diesel thinking I was getting the discount.....but alas, when I checked I found no discount on diesel, only on gasoline.

So, if one is filling up with 50-75 gallons, I pay with $300 cash, fill my tank, then get change and receipt. The 15-20 minute break is good for me to recover and then I may pull over for a short nap....
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
London , Ontario
Our first year out. We were driving into a smaller gas station which had a line up on the side we needed. But since I forgot what side the gas cap was on I went in on the gas tanks parallel to the building. A very narrow opening with an old man sitting on a chair sunning himself.. When he saw the vehicle towing the AS trying to maneuver through a small space next to him his jaw literally dropped. I felt proud of myself getting throughout the space until I remembered I was on the wrong side. I tried to move forward but the trailer was entering straight and there was a truck parked at an odd angle in front of me so I could not drive straight through to exit. I had to get the airstream at a slight angle to get out or I risked hitting the gas island Bullard. Since I was new to backing up I had to remember which way to move the steering wheel to adjust the trailer. This took a few attempts including getting the old man to move. Which he did obligingly. Inching forward going backwards we eventually got out of the predicament. We missed the Bullard by 1/2 inch. My wife was not pleased and since she was always hesitant about the AS to begin with it confirmed for her the huge mistake we had made in purchasing it it the first place. For me however since I now know I can get through tight spots, my confidence is much higher. Though I do not forget what side my gas tank is on anymore and I know which way to turn the steering wheel when backing up. It's important always to look on the bright side and have an exit plan.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
thanks for info on Costco AmEx. We get gas rewards from Safeway to the tune of $0.10 or $0.20/gallon. That discount works for diesel too. Only works at Chevron stations
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Sometimes there is a little arrow on the gas gage in our tow vehicles that indicates which side the filler pipe is on. Most are on the street side, but some are still on the curb side.

That little arrow may save someone dancing around fuel islands.

David
Old 01-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Do you remember those days when the gas cap was not attached to the vehicle with a wire?

If you forgot your gas cap resting on the top of the pump in Santa Fe, NM... you could walk into a gas station in Albuquerque, NM and upgrade...
Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Sometimes there is a little arrow on the gas gage in our tow vehicles that indicates which side the filler pipe is on. Most are on the street side, but some are still on the curb side.

David

I take it that this car does not have an arrow..

http://youtu.be/vupgBykQnko

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

David

In the good old days the gas filler was behind the rear license plate.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you don't know which side the filler cap is on before pulling up to a gas station pulling an Airstream, PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROAD. I will not have a vehicle that has the gas cap on the right side of the vehicle.

Perry