Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I usually get gas first, then move truck 'n' trailer away from the pump to go in and use the restroom-
Usually when caravaning, I will pull to a spot clearly visible out front so the others in the caravan can spot me easily (not to hard with a big ole silver truck and a long silver trailer)-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Refueling in Buffalo, Wy was a chore during the Sturgis bike rally. I'm amazed how long it takes to fill up motorcycles when there are four or five parked next to one pump. A couple of stations had run out of gas in this town. This was 2011 when we had the Casita.

Kelvin

Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, and all these problems are amplified if you have a Diesel truck, and then I think the difficulty increases by the square of the length of the trailer. So, we normally choose a truck stop type of station with RV islands. Those are the best. Second choice is an actual truck stop island, but you have to deal with the issues noted above, and then it pisses the big rig drivers off because you are taking time away from them.

We stopped at a truck stop in Louisiana or Mississippi last spring for Diesel, had to do the go inside thing, gave the cashier my card (a young lady), and she asked me how much fuel I needed. I told her I wanted to fill it up, but she would not take that as an answer and insisted I tell her how many gallons so she could charge my card right then and there. She said all the truck drivers knew, told me I should have used the pumps up front by the store, I told her I couldn't get into the place, and she said she was not allowed to just unlock the pump for me even with my credit card in hand. Frustrated, I finally did some calculations, gave her a gallon estimate, low of course because I didn't want to pay for more fuel than I could pump, and I left with less than a full tank. That one was the worst I've ever experienced.

I have on occasion used a normal convenience store/filling station, but it's a real pain with a Diesel and a long trailer, but in some instances it can be done.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I will become a newbe tomorrow, so thanks for the much need info.

Barry
Old 12-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We have an old saying "you can always back out on any situation with your trailer". I have had to back out of fuel pump islands due to steep or blocked exits. My wife has to shoo folks away from the trailer as I back up. You don't wanna get "shoo'ed" by my wife! She might bang on the hood of your car!

Well said courtesy tip in this thread. Don't block a fuel pump island. Drive forward to clear it, and then go in to settle up or do your business. Most truckers do this, passenger cars should too.

David
Old 12-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Nice to know that these stations aren't just discriminating against those of us in the Great White North. I refuse to hand over my card to some minimum wage( not to mention mental capacity) individual who I don't know in exchange for 100 bucks worth of fuel. I got into a discussion with a female in Florida and said will you give me your card when I hand you mine. You know the answer. They also ask for zip codes which of course we don't have or wont work. As a result I try to use Flying J where possible or Pilot as I carry their discount card. However Pilot can be difficult to Waltz through. I have sent my better half out to direct traffic and have backed out of a number. Many times I have parked and had a looksee before even attempting the fill up. Now using gas rather than diesel which makes life much easier as there are more pump choices. Next truck, I'll specify filler on both sides.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Truck stops in general seem to have better access/egress for both gas and diesel.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
GAS STATION TANGO... or waltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The worst problem I have filling up is when I patiently wait (patiently for all outward appearances) for a gas pump, only to have a vehicle whip in and take the pump in front of me.

I had this happen twice in one stop coming through west Texas last week...

I will admit to having a mini meltdown after the second.... Lol

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Put a cone out where you intend to go. Or two. Boots on and a mans hat helps, too I've noticed as I've no tolerance for this. The half Americans are all over the place anymore. It can get interesting in the diesel lanes some days.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, and all these problems are amplified if you have a Diesel truck, and then I think the difficulty increases by the square of the length of the trailer. So, we normally choose a truck stop type of station with RV islands. Those are the best. Second choice is an actual truck stop island, but you have to deal with the issues noted above, and then it pisses the big rig drivers off because you are taking time away from them.

We stopped at a truck stop in Louisiana or Mississippi last spring for Diesel, had to do the go inside thing, gave the cashier my card (a young lady), and she asked me how much fuel I needed. I told her I wanted to fill it up, but she would not take that as an answer and insisted I tell her how many gallons so she could charge my card right then and there. She said all the truck drivers knew, told me I should have used the pumps up front by the store, I told her I couldn't get into the place, and she said she was not allowed to just unlock the pump for me even with my credit card in hand. Frustrated, I finally did some calculations, gave her a gallon estimate, low of course because I didn't want to pay for more fuel than I could pump, and I left with less than a full tank. That one was the worst I've ever experienced.

I have on occasion used a normal convenience store/filling station, but it's a real pain with a Diesel and a long trailer, but in some instances it can be done.

SteveH, I always use the big truck lanes. Get a credit card set up for it and the rewards card so you can pay at pump. Take your time pumping, but pull forward to the yellow line after filling to go inside, take a leak and get your receipt (as they don't print immediately). That's all the time any driver is allowed for courtesy sake. Go park after this.

FWIW I prefer Flying J/ Pilot. The latter is more a convenience store so I trip plan the former. Otherwise I prefer AMBEST independents. I would also set up for Loves.

The drivers expect to wait. All one has to do is pull forward after fueling to meet any question of courtesy.

In my post above I show the when of using these as to time of day.

from the AIRphone
Old 12-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Truck stops in general seem to have better access/egress for both gas and diesel.

Yes. They call themselves Travel Centers so as to be attractive to four wheelers. Remember that the big truck fuel desk can often get you out the door faster than the gas pump cashier at the door by the gas islands if there is a line.

Have the wife round up snacks and crap as you get in the line for fuel. That way you only need use the restroom, grab the receipt (numbered pumps) and hit the road for that nice state rest area ahead.

from the AIRphone
Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Pilot/Flying J stations seem to be a couple of hundred miles apart on any given Interstate and I seldom pass one up even if gas is not mission critical at the moment. Almost all of them have dedicated RV lanes with no overhead and easy in/out and usually lots of room to park if you want to stretch your legs.
For us Diesel powered tow vehicles something to be aware of is Flying J is only carring B20 Diesel which is not the best fuel you can use. For my manufacturer of my tow vehicle B20 voids my warranty.

Although when I was using a 3/4 ton Suburban I love the RV island the Flying J offers for us traveling folks.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Have you found yourself at the pump, finished and... "Receipt is at the Cashier"... comes up? They are trying to get you into the store where they make money... as there is not much profit built into the fuel prices to remain competitive. (Unless the two or three stations are owned by the same Family.) My tow vehicle and trailer are not moving until I have my receipt for my credit card charge.

Bring in your "Refill Soda 44 ounce Cup", fill it, stand in line or loiter... drink up, have the wife top it off while waiting and get your discount.

Unless you live in New York City, where a "44" is illegal and you could be serving time for Excess Calorie Consumption in Public. An ECCP violation.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Finish fueling and pull forward if at the truck lane. Same for RV lane usually. Receipts are a detail. The computer can reissue your receipt with the card proffered all the rest of the day. Manager can do it easily as can fuel desk manager.

from the AIRphone
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

I like those 44 ouncers because I like to get all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote