Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I use a card. I’m in and out quick.
I pay at the pump. I've started carrying and using "Shell Gift Cards" which are often on sale at my local grocery. The big advantage is my bank information is in no way on the card. Skimmer? I don't care. During my last trip I never used a bank card.

I understand people pay inside. That doesn't take 20 minutes!
If you want to shop move to a parking space! It's not rocket science.

Quote:
I do stuff early so I don’t have to rush or get mad at people for taking too long to get gas. Sheesh, life’s too short, people.
Okay, but if I drive 500 miles, filling up at 6am doesn't get me home.

The bottom line is, Americans have changed into "I only care about me". Disgusting, rude, self centered.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Y'all are preaching to the choir.

The people who need to be reading this ... AREN'T!!!

I do agree that it's rude and disrespectful to leave a vehicle parked in front of a fuel pump for longer than the time it takes to pump and possibly pay (if using cash), but--again: The people who need to be reading this aren't.

It may help to vent somewhere, but quit'cher bitchin'. Get on with your life, and if twenty minutes is going to throw your schedule, or your mood, out of whack you aren't managing your time or your life very well. It's not about the things that happen "to" people--it's about how people react to the things that happen "to" them.

Yes, people aren't as considerate as they used to be. But telling US about your hurt feelings and inconvenience isn't solving the problem of inconsiderate and rude people.

Sorry; if anyone feels they are being disrespected they should make that known to the person(s) being disrespectful. Yes; it can be difficult to do so nicely; but practice makes perfect. And a better use of time on this subject would be to ask others how they handled the situation of making others aware of their rude and inconsiderate behavior without starting a fight. Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to be made aware of their behavior to make them more considerate. We've all been there, I'm sure....

And, yes, I know--I didn't have to read this far through the thread. But, I did, and this is my two cents' worth on the subject. Actually, it helps me to think about how to handle this if I encounter it, since it seems to be happening more frequently. AND, it helps me to plan my activities better so as to avoid this if at all possible (like not frequenting fuel stations without parking in front of the convenience store; or, getting a fuel card for stations without convenience stores).
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
We have encountered some of these instances in the past and sometimes, maybe even usually, some “polite awareness raising and request” works. For example, when “boxed in” with no where to go, when another (intentionally or inadvertently) pulls into the spot we were nearly into, we’d politely ask if they would mind pulling up/around so we would not block others in, and quite often this works. So imagine our surprise when we asked this once and the reply we got was “now why would I want to do that for you?”, after which the person went into the store for several minutes, then came out to pump the gas. I understand someone being unintentionally rude, what I cannot understand is being intentionally difficult and uncaring. You can probably understand why one of us has no interest in trying that tactic again soon. I just hope the rest of that person’s day/life goes better than my brief encounter.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
And, yes, I know--I didn't have to read this far through the thread. But, I did, and this is my two cents' worth on the subject.
I hope you got your money's worth.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
[emoji23] ha ha unkljoe, you told us to quit our bitching and then went on and did it anyway.....we are a funny sort aren't we all our opinions and carrying on about others.

So we are guilty of both, we are annoyed at other people who do it excessively and then we also do it when we think we aren't impeding anybody else.

We will try to be more better about moving our cars.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Most of our travels don't present truck stops so we have to deal with the ONE diesel pump at the station.
Over our last trip we had 3 occasions where the only car pumping gas was at the single pump that sold diesel. One guy was literally leaning on his car reading a book with the pump clicked off. One lady zoomed in front of us, parked at the pump and went in. After 5 minutes she came out with chips and a soda, hopped in and left. No fuel.
Then there was the one guy that barely beat us to the pump, hopped out and heard our Cummins, hopped in and moved to another pump. He got a great big 'Thanks!'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
Y'all are preaching to the choir.

The people who need to be reading this ... AREN'T!!!

I do agree that it's rude and disrespectful to leave a vehicle parked in front of a fuel pump for longer than the time it takes to pump and possibly pay (if using cash), but--again: The people who need to be reading this aren't.

It may help to vent somewhere, but quit'cher bitchin'. Get on with your life, and if twenty minutes is going to throw your schedule, or your mood, out of whack you aren't managing your time or your life very well. It's not about the things that happen "to" people--it's about how people react to the things that happen "to" them.

Yes, people aren't as considerate as they used to be. But telling US about your hurt feelings and inconvenience isn't solving the problem of inconsiderate and rude people.

Sorry; if anyone feels they are being disrespected they should make that known to the person(s) being disrespectful. Yes; it can be difficult to do so nicely; but practice makes perfect. And a better use of time on this subject would be to ask others how they handled the situation of making others aware of their rude and inconsiderate behavior without starting a fight. Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to be made aware of their behavior to make them more considerate. We've all been there, I'm sure....

And, yes, I know--I didn't have to read this far through the thread. But, I did, and this is my two cents' worth on the subject. Actually, it helps me to think about how to handle this if I encounter it, since it seems to be happening more frequently. AND, it helps me to plan my activities better so as to avoid this if at all possible (like not frequenting fuel stations without parking in front of the convenience store; or, getting a fuel card for stations without convenience stores).
Yeah, but what if, by chance, the person who blocked the pumps DOES read the thread? Anyway, it’s a lot safer to vent here than actually confront the person. Or you can do the passive aggressive thing and leave a note, and run.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I pay at the pump. I've started carrying and using "Shell Gift Cards" which are often on sale at my local grocery. The big advantage is my bank information is in no way on the card. Skimmer? I don't care. During my last trip I never used a bank card.

I understand people pay inside. That doesn't take 20 minutes!
If you want to shop move to a parking space! It's not rocket science.

The bottom line is, Americans have changed into "I only care about me". Disgusting, rude, self centered.
No they haven’t. A few are. Most are decent. I know the media keeps acting like people have changed recently. They haven’t. There have always been a few rude ones. And a lot of people honestly don’t understand when they are blocking a pump. Some are actually working and don’t understand retirees and people on vacation towing trailers needing pump access. It’s not a conspiracy and it’s not a phenomenon of the last two years. Remember, lots of people don’t like sitting behind a lumbering RV in traffic either, or behind one trying to make an impossible left turn out of a parking lot. It goes both ways.

When someone blocks the pump and goes inside, if it really bothers you, chase them down and demand they move. I’ll video.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
To avoid the situation that started this thread I start my fuel search at 3/8 of a tank. If it doesn't look good I move on......having said that my finest day of fueling was a brand new station (in the west of course as they still have room to build) that had very wide spacing between islands. The person came out and started fueling after a long wait....but I could swing wide, cut in front of them and wedged them into a stay because someone pulled in behind them. I went to the car behind them and explained the situation and offered to buy them a coffee and they happily took me up on it. We hit it off and spent 20 minutes talking over coffee. Oh, then I came out to fill my tank and waved at the driver who started it all. And, I enjoyed a very nice coffee break on a long drive.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
It occurs to me after reading this thread, that these same fools who we get mad at about not having good gas station manners are the same ones who can’t merge on the interstate. There really is not drivers training in my city anymore, and I would expect that a lot of other places have cut back this expense as well. People can’t do what they don’t know to do. Maybe the gas stations themselves should start posting signs about correct behavior.
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
It occurs to me after reading this thread, that these same fools who we get mad at about not having good gas station manners are the same ones who can’t merge on the interstate. There really is not drivers training in my city anymore, and I would expect that a lot of other places have cut back this expense as well. People can’t do what they don’t know to do. Maybe the gas stations themselves should start posting signs about correct behavior.
Wawa and Sheetz always seem to have very loud music playing and ads "come in and get a sub sandwich". If only they would add, "pull over to the side and come in". I have asked nicely several times with a "could you move so I can make the turn?" And it has worked. Snapped once when I was too tired and it backfired badly.... only verbally but, whew.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I always, towing or not, wash windshield while filling and move to another spot away from the pumps to do my other business. Always.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Ok horses always run faster to the barn than away from it. But you might want to re-evaluate your trip distance. Long distances to get home is one thing, but long distances makes travel more like work. My towing drive days average more in the 300-350 range.

I fuel on the way back from dinner. Fueling at 6am? More like work.

It's supposed to be fun.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Ok horses always run faster to the barn than away from it. But you might want to re-evaluate your trip distance. Long distances to get home is one thing, but long distances makes travel more like work. My towing drive days average more in the 300-350 range.

I fuel on the way back from dinner. Fueling at 6am? More like work.

It's supposed to be fun.
I still work. Fueling at 6 am is sleeping in for me.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Using the book “Next Exit” we stick with the truck stops whenever possible as they are cheaper, easier to navigate in and offer the chance to do more than quickly rush through out of fear we may block someone. Otherwise we see the same situation the OP described in the more urban areas.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I have, a few times, left my truck at the pump while I went inside the store because my dog was in the back seat and the pump island was the only shade in a hot Texas summer. The station was not crowded and other pumps were available.

Also, I made sure to ask permission from the attendant at the cash register as I entered the store. They were very understanding about it, and they got a lot of my repeat business on subsequent trips.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Gas station courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Using the book “Next Exit” we stick with the truck stops whenever possible as they are cheaper, easier to navigate in and offer the chance to do more than quickly rush through out of fear we may block someone. Otherwise we see the same situation the OP described in the more urban areas.

iExit is another excellent app that shows whats coming up exit wise...

And is FREE.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Re

Life is pretty good if all you have to gripe about is poor behavior at the gas station. I just shut down, put the right seater on watch duty and take a nap.

I stick to truck stops because even the gas pumps tend to permit better maneuverability.
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
It seems bad manners are not limited to gas stations.

I went to the local Menards the other day for 16’ baseboard and casing. Navigated to the outside dedicated loading area where you can back in to load and found all the spots taken - with nobody in the trucks or loading!

I happened to see one guy take the last spot - pulled in and went shopping! Behavior like that gives mankind a bad name. But I digress!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“The more I learn about people the better I like my dog(s)...”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote