Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
But in Canada, they are still driving and it's around $4 US.
Today gas is around $1.14 Canadian per litre, which is around $4.30 per gallon. The Canada/USA difference for diesel is a little less as diesel tends to be cheaper than gas here, and more expensive than gas in the USA.

We live within an hour of the border at Niagara Falls and spend a lot of time in New York and Michigan. Although we pay more for fuel here, we can almost always count on it being cheaper across the border. As the price of oil goes up so does the Canadian dollar (it finished the year above the US $), making things priced in US dollars cheaper to us. Since we do most our traveling in the USA the higher Canadian dollar somewhat counters the increased cost of fuel.

We did a major trip last summer before our oldest went off to university, and will probably stick to shorter trips over the next few years. Camping with our kids is too important to give up just because fuel costs are high. Also, when you're traveling with three or four teenagers the benefit of being able to cook your own meals adds up pretty quickly.

Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #72
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I couldnt imagine anyone calling the 80's or 90's the good ol' day's.....
I was sideing with you.. Saying YES the 50's and 60's were the good ol days.

Geez often people statements are taken out of context here.

For driving a Chevy,, aren't that bright are ya?....LOL

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It's not only the price of gasoline, how about the cost of a simple bottle of beer?

Years ago, it cost a quarter. So which inflated more, gasoline, or beer?

A bottle of beer today costs $3.00 for 12 ounces.
Wow--you must buy expensive beer!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #74
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I was sideing with you.. Saying YES the 50's and 60's were the good ol days.

Geez often people statements are taken out of context here.

For driving a Chevy,, aren't that bright are ya?....LOL

I know Shane.....Geeez

Dont get me going on ford-chev.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
All this hoo-ha about oil companies, profiteering, and conspiracy is just that.

Yes, US liquids production is declining. However, natural gas reserves are growing at an unprecidented rate due to the large number of shale gas discoveries in N. America. I can tell you that none of the major oil companies saw that coming. It's gotten so bad that major gas producing countries like Russia have started PR campaigns highlighting the "environmental dangers" of unconventional natural gas. If you don't believe it, take a look at natural gas prices....

The real question is when will people start converting their vehicles from gasoline to natural gas?

For reference nat gas is ~$4.00/kcf. ~6 kcf = 1 barrel of crude.

That means you are only paying $24 the oil barrel equivalent in natural gas. Don't think it will be long before 4:1 disparity causes a shift. Biggest barrier to this happening is refuelling infrastructure.

Yeah, we'll still be streaming this summer. With any luck high fuel prices will help us get into more choice campgrounds...
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #76
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The oil literally bubbled up out of the ground around here a few decades ago. When they drilled into Lakeview (about 25 miles from Bakersfield), the whole county nearly drowned in oil. They still pump out BILLIONS of BARRELS. Diesel is about $3.60 on the corner station this afternoon. This isn't a more drilling, more refining problem. I would love to pay the pretax price for fuel. This is Taxifornia.

Lakeview Gusher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lakeviewgusher.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	118629  
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
It appears that most are thinking like I am , in that the cost of fuel must be weighed against the overal fun factor of a trip. Our first choice this year is the Tetons. We are thinking that we also want to make a trip into Maine which is considerably closer than Grand Teton. If fuels prices get ridiculous, we may go there and postpone the Teton trip until 2012. I am thinking $5.00 per gal is the decision point.
A boater friend of mine regularly went up the coast of Michigan in his 36' Carver. Fuel consumption in these boats is measured in gallons per mile, not miles per gallon. A two week trip going up the coast a few hundred miles and back cost him over $3,000 when gas was in the $2.50 range. Last year he sold the boat and bought an RV. He thought 8 mpg was great on his trip to Yellowstone!
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey

The 'necessary and propert" clause as well as the 'general welfare' clause have been two of the Progressives (both Dem and Rep) favorite tools to expand the power of the federal gov. The flexibility of our Constitution is in the amendment process. Otherwise you simply have each new administration interpreting issues as they see fit. Case law/precedent should have never been allowed to trump what the Constitution allows.

My post said the EPA, should have read the DoE. The DoE was created to get us off foriegn oil -- how'd that work out?

DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote