Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I think I would like to hear that discussion too.
To attend, you have to drink too. Long ago I could have held my own with whiskey, but I've become a lightweight.

The simple answer to the original question can be found by looking at how people reacted to higher prices a couple of years ago—they stopped driving as much. It looks like when it gets above $3.50 it starts to change habits.

But in Canada, they are still driving and it's around $4 US.

Gene

Old 12-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The unique characteristic of the US compared to most other first world contras is that all the distances here are greater, so fuel costs affect ability to work, deliver goods, materials prices, far more.

I'm a Maker's Mark guy. I can bring my own. Do you have full hook-ups?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Inflation -- end the Fed. Drill at home the are plenty of untapped areas. A guy should not be able to buy gas -- fascist concept.

I will travel from NJ to CA this summer -- nothing will stop me from continbuing to show my daughter this beautiful country. More Wal-Marts, yes. National Forest sites vs. KOA's, yes. Eat more meals around the campfire (yes, I burn wood that sends smoke into other campsites).
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The simple answer to the original question can be found by looking at how people reacted to higher prices a couple of years ago—they stopped driving as much. It looks like when it gets above $3.50 it starts to change habits.
Gene
Hi, if the prices of gas go up enough for a lot of people to stay home, in California, it might pay for it'self. Right now our freeways are mostly parking lots that occasionally move slowly. With much fewer vehicles on the road, we can actually drive at or near the speed limit, doubling our gas mileage. This would also allow for us to spend about 50 - 75% less time driving. Better mileage, less time from point "A" to point "B" and back, less driver fatigue, less road rage, and you people who live in the middle of no-where have nothing to complain about.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
No one has touched on the fact that there have been no new refineries built in more than 25 years. There's a man in the Phoenix area that claims to have spent the past 15 years putting up road blocks to the construction of a refinery in AZ. One has to wonder if the greenies stopped protesting the building of new refineries as well as allowing existing refineries to upgrade with state of the art equipment, if air pollution would be cut and the price of gas would fall. It would also create jobs.
It would, indeed, be difficult to find something the major oil companies wanted that they did not get. US foreign policy since the 1930's is largely the story of petroleum exploration and access. The EPA is barely a speedbump. Other persons or interests would be shouting in a vacuum chamber in opposition if a new refinery were proposed. Instead we had monopoly consolidation in the industry (as in others) the past 30-years and a consequent reduction of competition (even if only nominal). Higher priced fuel is a given.

While the higher cost is marginal for a trip here or there, the cost over a longer period of time may not be. Couple that to the re-sale value of an RV when the price is fuel is perceived to remain high and the accelerated plunge in net value of the RV is the threat to the industry and use of same. This is likely a steepening downward curve.

Better fuel economy is tied to the TV, in main, and better use is tied to trip planning. Fuel will need to ascend the ladder of priority, and every gallon made to work harder than before. Fuel economy simply means the acquisition and use of tools to understand costs in relation. To then alter and better them.

RV's have their place even in a higher cost environment, but it may mean doing without some things or activities in their use. Books and wine are heavy, but the slight increase in fuel consumption could weigh less than extraneous activities once one has reached a destination for decisions about travel expenditures.

More realistic decisions about trailer size are also likely when one reaches the break point of weights between a trailer towed by an otherwise adequate daily driver versus a more specialized vehicle for the heaviest versions. One of the questions my wife and I have about our next trailer is that it have a rear bedroom, and that the front lounge be convertible for a younger couple to use as a bedroom; so how to maximize the storage of the belongings of four adults is central. A diesel van or a pickup with enclosed storage still seems viable in a higher cost environment. (We also perceive a trailer as central to living on the hurricane-prone Gulf Coast as the stick-built house may not exist after a storm). Traveling together to a central point, splitting up to go separate ways; or, to swap out the use of the trailer on shorter excursions may also be viable. Hiking or biking for some, leisurely settin' round for others.

The price of fuel, alone, should not be a deterrent to the continued use of an Airstream, but the choice of tow vehicle should be considered more carefully. 12 mpg is not adequate, IMO, and striving for 16+ is the game for now with the vehicle I own. (The above link has more). It's also the reason I prefer used vehicles, DIY repairs/upgrades, and the fellowship of others in pursuit of the meaningful detail.

Now, were we talking about 18,00-lb toy haulers full of ATV's being pulled by 8 mpg one tons, yes, the handwriting on the wall positively glows in the dark. A turbodiesel TV of adequate specification meets the goal for some time yet for many/most Airstreams.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've been looking at an Evergreen 34' TT with a deep slideout and an outdoor kitchen that weighs about the same as my 25 FB Safari. In my research, I logged on to the Yahoo Evergreen user's site and was surprised at the number of buyers that had considered AS before buying the Evergreen. The big sales pitch is "green" construction techniques and materials.

Now is not a good time to sell an RV as oil heads to $110 a barrel. By the same token, it might be a great time to buy an RV! As a side note, I discussed a possible trade with a an AS dealer for an Evergreen and the trade in value on the AS was in the tank. Maybe he knows something we don't know.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I remember when gas hit $0.50 a gallon. I thought life as we knew it would end. Well life did change it got better.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
[QUOTE=CrawfordGene;932235]To attend, you have to drink too. Long ago I could have held my own with whiskey, but I've become a lightweight.

Very cool - I'm a very cheap drunk too - I fall over just taking a wiff of moonshine

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #51
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
To the original question, I am unsure of our answer. As long as we can pay cash for the trips, we will still go. There definitely is a number that is too high, but we would make shorter trips and considering more boondocking before allowing the "high price of living" to stop us.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Many years ago, I read the following, someplace.

When it comes to enjoying recreation, the majority of Americans will participate, no matter what the cost.

It's not only the price of gasoline, how about the cost of a simple bottle of beer?

Years ago, it cost a quarter. So which inflated more, gasoline, or beer?

A bottle of beer today costs $3.00 for 12 ounces. The same 12 ounces of gasoline costs 43 cents.

So.....do we give up the beer?

NO WAY.................... JOSE

It's all relative, when we want recreation, physical, mental, or liquid, it's the choices we all make.

Andy
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I don't drink beer.

Hi, I don't drink beer, but I have burned over 20 gallons of gas per day. [on a trip] I don't know anyone who drinks 20 gallons of beer in a day.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't drink beer, but I have burned over 20 gallons of gas per day. [on a trip] I don't know anyone who drinks 20 gallons of beer in a day.
I don't know anyone like that either, but I do know several that have been in training for way too many years.

Andy
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
So is this the future of RV'ing? Not For Me.

YouTube - Smart Car Towing Tent Trailer
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
So is this the future of RV'ing? Not For Me.

YouTube - Smart Car Towing Tent Trailer
Hi, I wonder how much they want for that Wheel Barrow, Ping Pong Tables, and a Coleman Tent that somehow got super glued together. And now we wait for the Mini-Ha Ha to go with it for those who were born with white knuckles.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144