Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How i long for the days before knowledge of acronyms were required to work on vehicles.

We could just say water pump, throttle body, fuel pump, etc.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
How i long for the days before knowledge of acronyms were required to work on vehicles.

We could just say water pump, throttle body, fuel pump, etc.
Hi, me too! Things were just fine until they started calling "Kentucky Fried Chicken" "KFC" and it was all down hill from there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #163

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Actually, it started back during WWII with RADAR and SNAFU. It has been down hill from there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #164
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
YMMV IMHO BTW, WTIHH?

Let's see if I can start a new one what time is happy hour?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #165
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Talking

Well gang, might as well stretch the Killer Dowel Pin repair a bit farther. This is the truck that I bought and we fixed it replacing the gear case. Never did this before but this engine has industrial/commercial roots and it shows when you get to work on it. We did all of the work via the top and front of the engine, removed radiator and carefully positioned AC just out of the way. But the cab stays on the chassis

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...?highlight=kdp

That old '97 3500 5.9L is the one that got me hooked and I bought it after the KDP failure.

The KDP has several possible modes:

Pin falls into bottom of oil pan, harmless.
You get the KDP drill jig from some Cummins fanatic, drill a hole for installing an exterior bolt pin to hold the KDP in position. Maybe an hours work.
Tab the KDP by pulling the front cover only, maybe 4 hours for your first try.
Gear case damaged as seen in my case. Usually the case is replaced to repair.
Potential catastrophic damage. I've never even seen a picture of this scenario.

I'l bet most all of the KDP's have been attended to by now.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #166
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
So I learned from the video 1988-2002 Cummins has the now infamous KDP. Gen 3 does not have the problem. Whew....
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #167
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Red, you keep saying that, but the numbers say otherwise. Look at the companies that have large fleets, they do analysis of miles and tons of work vs cost and they buy Fords. There is a Cummins service truck in town and it's a gas F250. I'm going to eventually get a picture of that truck. Could have bought the RAM, but they didn't. (you guys know Dodge doesn't make trucks anymore right?)

Since this thread has devolved to ancient history, the offerings of the Big Three all had inadequate auto trans circa the late 90's. And the only one that had a good match of man trans and motor was Dodge. The V8 diesels simply stalled out under a heavy load. Why they quit offering a man trans years ago. A medium duty motor and trans is what one gets in a Dodge, not light duty as with the others.

An irrelevancy what fleets buy. An owner-operator can't afford downtime or the inabilty to get under a heavy load (30k) for the likely 300k+ miles he'll have it. DODGE became the default choice at that time. And up to the present. I rarely see anything else under an oilfield hot shot load (time sensitive) whether I am in the Permian Basin, the Eagle Ford or other shale plays of present. The use of GM or FORD is still seen as a gamble even with significant changes to all brands. Engine life design is still a deciding factor. The others are present . . but the work is still left to a DODGE.

The AISIN trans is what is found in the medium duty models. Same for the Cummins at a more suitable power level (not the gee whiz HP numbers of clueless 1T buyers).

A 1T CTD with the Aisin really is too much truck for the OP's needs. Just right, in other words. When he's through with it someone will fly cross country to buy it. In the first six years of my ownership, my truck declined in value less than $3k (even with 2WD) from what I paid for it (admittedly a very good price for a three year old truck).

Good luck to the OP

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #168
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
While towing I just leave mine turned on. Helps during any deceleration like an off ramp. Would be a big help in an immediate braking situation. Maybe someone know if there are any down sides.
As a rule of thumb one does not want an engine brake (exhaust brake for these trucks) operative when on wet road surfaces. Same as for cruise control. One can lose traction at the drive axle and start to get sideways. Exciting with a trailer attached. Even more exciting at highway speeds.

Check specific admonitions in operators manual.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote