Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
The Cummins KDP issue can be a real problem if you don't listen to those who got the merit badge on how easy it is to fix before it happens. I bought a '97 3500 that suffered a KDP failure and we fixed it at home replacing the housing. We did a neighbors KDP tabbing in an afternoons work w/o any special tools and the KDP was when, the '90's? The 53 block was 99-01, over 13 years ago and many were repaired and continued service.

Noise, since the common rail in '03 the Dodge Cummins got a whole lot quieter.

My camping buddy neighbor had one too many failures on his well cared for 6.0L including an intercooler end cap blow clean open and put him and family in a bad spot trying to drive home with his 5'r w/o ANY boost. It barely ran let alone pull. I claim credit for recrimping the end cap back on to make it run again. He real quick traded it for a Ford 6.7L and it didn't run too good, service dept tried unsuccessfully to fix it, found nothing and sorta said that's they way they run. I found a TSB that described his complaint. He took it in and about 6 weeks later or so they finished the replacement of one set of valve guides that required removing the cab. Truck runs great now.

I was talking to a Ford tech last week and we chatted about the cab off status to work on them. He said yeah, kinda old news but the challenge now is any commercial cab that precludes pulling the cab, gotta do it all from the front.

My '05 has about 170K on it and so far just regular oil changes that I do in my driveway, fuel filters, air filters, tires, brakes are original, transmission seal on drive shaft yoke, coolant change and that's about it for maintenance on it to date. I really enjoy being able to open the hood and see or touch almost any external part of that solid 6 cylinder Cummins. Did a couple of oil analysis reports, came back with no concerns.

We took our company truck '07 Dodge Ram 5.9L to the Mid America truck show in KY back in '08. Couple of good old boys looked at that simple inline 6 after seeing the then new 6.4L twin turbo. One said there wasn't enough room under the Ford hood to put the payment book and close the hood. Another said one more coat of paint and it would bulge the hood. Incredible amount of plumbing on those engines. Dodge has gotten a bit more crowded with the newest emission requirements.

Diesels aren't for everyone I'm not here to talk you into buying one thats YOUR choice. But I'd replace my Dodge Cummins with another one (hopefully about the same vintage) w/o even looking at a different brand. Between my two Dodge Cummins, we've got over 370K on them both manual transmissions too. It really showed its heritage pulling my 30' S/O up I-77 into VA up the 7% grade hill to Fancy Gap. The Cummins Diesel impressed me so much a year ago I bought a 2000 VW Beetle TDI manual trans for my commuting duties. I know the VW TDI is a unique animal in its own way.

Spark plugs or Diesel injectors, you're welcome at my campfire.

Gary
it nice when you use acronyms like KDP you also let us non diesel people know what that is .. most every one knows what a TSB (technical service bulletin) is but some or most of the diesel stuff like EGT (exhaust gas temp) are Greek.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Carl we should all know it stands for "Killer Dowel Pin" according to Google. After looking it up that made as much sense as KDP.

ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In case you need more info on the KDP you can watch this.

Chevy Cummins project part 4 KDP fix. - YouTube

Don't get confused by the tittle. Cummings was the standard replacement engine for Ford and Chevy trucks for a while.

Every engine ever made, gas or diesel, has at least one flaw. The question is was it a mistake in design or intentional.

I think the reason we tend to see more about these flaws in diesel engines is because more diesel owners tend to repair their own equipment and share that information on the net.

I spent 2 years redesigning my first diesel truck, an 87 Chevy, to get it to where it did what I wanted. My second, a 97, took less time but was a treat to the boys with a Cummings.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I will tell everyone with a 6.7 ford who will listen... if you get a water in fuel warning light, pull over to the side of the road and call ford to tow it in. I was told by a Ford diesel engineer, that the DFCM is for removing condensation in the fuel, not water. People should pull over and called for a tow right away. The new 6.7 can NOT tolerate ANY water at all, it's ENTIRE fuel system rusts and then turns to a giant paper weight. It wont be covered by warranty. It could cost you 11k to 18k in damage!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #159
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
it nice when you use acronyms like KDP you also let us non diesel people know what that is .. most every one knows what a TSB (technical service bulletin) is but some or most of the diesel stuff like EGT (exhaust gas temp) are Greek.

Carl, sorry about that thought it was previously covered. It can be a real killer if not caught in time. I bought our '97 after it failed and my Son and I spent 5 DIY weekends fixing it. We learned a lot and enjoyed the project. Been running strong after our fix since 2007.

It's not required to monitor turbo boost or EGT but it's an interesting performance and engine load indicator.

BTW r Carl, what's a DFCM? And I do carry a spare fuel filter, highly recommended. Easy R&R even on the side of the road for my Cummins.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
BTW r Carl, what's a DFCM? And I do carry a spare fuel filter, highly recommended. Easy R&R even on the side of the road for my Cummins.

Gary
The Diesel Fuel Conditioner Module (DFCM) is on the driver frame rail, inside, looking like a ball with hoses going to it.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How i long for the days before knowledge of acronyms were required to work on vehicles.

We could just say water pump, throttle body, fuel pump, etc.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
How i long for the days before knowledge of acronyms were required to work on vehicles.

We could just say water pump, throttle body, fuel pump, etc.
Hi, me too! Things were just fine until they started calling "Kentucky Fried Chicken" "KFC" and it was all down hill from there.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #163

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Actually, it started back during WWII with RADAR and SNAFU. It has been down hill from there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #164
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
YMMV IMHO BTW, WTIHH?

Let's see if I can start a new one what time is happy hour?
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #165
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Talking

Well gang, might as well stretch the Killer Dowel Pin repair a bit farther. This is the truck that I bought and we fixed it replacing the gear case. Never did this before but this engine has industrial/commercial roots and it shows when you get to work on it. We did all of the work via the top and front of the engine, removed radiator and carefully positioned AC just out of the way. But the cab stays on the chassis

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...?highlight=kdp

That old '97 3500 5.9L is the one that got me hooked and I bought it after the KDP failure.

The KDP has several possible modes:

Pin falls into bottom of oil pan, harmless.
You get the KDP drill jig from some Cummins fanatic, drill a hole for installing an exterior bolt pin to hold the KDP in position. Maybe an hours work.
Tab the KDP by pulling the front cover only, maybe 4 hours for your first try.
Gear case damaged as seen in my case. Usually the case is replaced to repair.
Potential catastrophic damage. I've never even seen a picture of this scenario.

I'l bet most all of the KDP's have been attended to by now.
S/OS #001
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
So I learned from the video 1988-2002 Cummins has the now infamous KDP. Gen 3 does not have the problem. Whew....
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #167
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Red, you keep saying that, but the numbers say otherwise. Look at the companies that have large fleets, they do analysis of miles and tons of work vs cost and they buy Fords. There is a Cummins service truck in town and it's a gas F250. I'm going to eventually get a picture of that truck. Could have bought the RAM, but they didn't. (you guys know Dodge doesn't make trucks anymore right?)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #168
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
While towing I just leave mine turned on. Helps during any deceleration like an off ramp. Would be a big help in an immediate braking situation. Maybe someone know if there are any down sides.
As a rule of thumb one does not want an engine brake (exhaust brake for these trucks) operative when on wet road surfaces. Same as for cruise control. One can lose traction at the drive axle and start to get sideways. Exciting with a trailer attached. Even more exciting at highway speeds.

Check specific admonitions in operators manual.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote