Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Andy, i was talking about ipad. Internet connection is required to track movement.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What is different about the GPS device the op asked about? How is it different than the Garmin I already have? Someone mentioned a motorcyle version. The difference I see on the motorcycle version is big buttons that can be used with a gloved hand. Maybe the RV one considers the length of the rig, like the feature on the regular Garmin to select big truck/bus or pedestrian. Maybe the RV one is preloaded with campground locations or gas stations that can accommodate long long trailers.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Andy, i was talking about ipad. Internet connection is required to track movement.
That's not exactly true if you have the iPad with cellular capabilities. Those versions have GPS built in like the iPhone and also do not need Internet / data connection to track movement if you have an app with maps downloaded to device.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not going to argue with you. I am glad yours does it. Mine does not. End of discussion for me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Correct.

All cellular iPads have a GPS chip built in, meaning navigation works without a data connection as long as the map data is stored on the device.
The GPS chip talks to satellites, not the cellular network.

If yours doesn't, then you either own a WiFi only model, your GPS chip is defect or map data has not been downloaded.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What is different about the GPS device the op asked about? How is it different than the Garmin I already have? Someone mentioned a motorcyle version. The difference I see on the motorcycle version is big buttons that can be used with a gloved hand. Maybe the RV one considers the length of the rig, like the feature on the regular Garmin to select big truck/bus or pedestrian. Maybe the RV one is preloaded with campground locations or gas stations that can accommodate long long trailers.
one nice feature of the rv units is HEIGHT limits. also, there are a lot of routes on the east coast that restrict where you can go with propane.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not going to argue with you. I am glad yours does it. Mine does not. End of discussion for me.
You seem offended. I was trying to be helpful. Enjoy your iPad.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post

Some of the advertised abilities are:

- Customized RV routing, such as RV restrictions, bridge heights etc.

- RV parks and services directory

- Up ahead services, such as fuel stations, resturants etc.

- Warning icons, such as narrow road, sharp curve, steep downhell etc.

- Traffic data, such as traffic density, traffic incident etc.

- Weather forcast and weather radar displayed on the map.

My question is: Are the RV features of this GPS usefull to the RV'er? Or, is this GPS just an early work in progress.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Does anyone ever read what people say or do you just have to type so everyone can hear you? He didn't ask about ipads or google or anything else he asked about the garmin 760lmt. I was interested in the same unit and was hoping for some feedback to his answer. I don't want to sit here all night looking at post about everybodys idea of what we should use.
This is actually comical. Even after the above quoted post, there still has not been one single post that answers or even references the OP's questions. All these comments pro and con about different approaches has been hashed over many times before. Perhaps there are different best methods for different individuals and different circumstances.

Now, Does anyone wish to comment about the Garmin 760LMT?

I would to suggest that, if all the info you have to share is about how it is the wrong approach without ever even having seen one, you start your own thread.

Just a idea.

Ken

Edit: While I was typing this there was one post on subject. It was the OP attempting to once again get his questions answered
Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
- Warning icons - should be steep downhill

(but, I guess if I was going down a steep mountain, with failed brakes, the first spelling could apply)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Air Cloud View Post
Some of the advertised abilities are:

- Customized RV routing, such as RV restrictions, bridge heights etc.

- RV parks and services directory

- Up ahead services, such as fuel stations, resturants etc.

- Warning icons, such as narrow road, sharp curve, steep downhell etc.

- Traffic data, such as traffic density, traffic incident etc.

- Weather forcast and weather radar displayed on the map.

My question is: Are the RV features of this GPS usefull to the RV'er? Or, is this GPS just an early work in progress.
I recently bought a Garmin 7 inch GPS that has some of these features.

This feature would be useful:

Warning icons, such as narrow road, sharp curve, steep downhill etc.

The RV Parks and service directory are good information. However it depends on how you use it. Personally I carry printed material for this information. I would probably occasionally refer to the GPS data if it was easy to access.

My GPS has the traffic data and I find it very helpful and mostly accurate.

My GPS also can locate Fuel, Food, Rest and Parking areas and several other things. I use that function often.

Garmin has a App called Smartphone Link. With it you can use your smartphone as a internet gateway to access information on the GPS screen. I paid an extra 9.99 to subscribe to a service that uses the smartphone to download the weather radar in your area and place it on the GPS screen superimposed on your route. I found that helpful a couple months ago traveling though Nebraska with Severe thunderstorms crossing our route.

I hope this helps some,

For reference, here is the model I have:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod112203.html

Ken
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Like a lot of the guys, I've had my fair share of GPS systems. Garmin, Magellan, Rand Mac etc. But that all changed in 2012 when I went to the Jackson Rally. At the time I had the Garmin GPS (new) that I bought at Costco and used it in my truck as I didn't want to pay $2000 extra as a GPS accessory. It had been pretty accurate (for the car). My mistake was assuming it would be good for the TV.

After cutting through the mountains to get to SL Obispo/Pacific Ocean, and going on 1 lane back roads, white knuckling and praying that no other vehicle was coming in the opposite direction, I made the decision to get a RV GPS system after that experience.

Like everyone else, looked at the forum for comments, other consumer reports/RV sites (including 18 wheeler truck GPS systems) and came to the conclusion that the Magellan RoadMate RV9145 "Designed exclusively for RVs was the way to go. It also provides Life Time Map upgrades. Support by Magellan is great. I called them on clarification on my new laptop and they were there. Oh, the RV9145 has that nice 7 inch screen which makes it easy to see vs a "cellphone".

The Roadmate has the Good Same Club POI's, fuel (gas/diesel), rest stops etc. First test was going to Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon (North and South Rims) and points East !

Am totally happy with the directions it gave me not to mention the "long" Goose Neck mounting harness.

In short, for the money I spent, this is finally the one I've been looking for.

And that's my 2 cents worth !!!

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
R.v. G.p.s.

Hi, I have looked at them and think it is a great idea to have. They ask, [your input] Do you have a motorhome, trailer, of fifth wheel?. How long is your unit? How tall is your unit? How wide is your unit? Etc. I'm pretty sure that they won't take you under low bridges or keep asking [telling] you to make a "U" turn. I would like to hear [read] more about the OP's question.

For the record, I have a regular Garmin GPS and a dumb phone.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Does anyone ever read what people say or do you just have to type so everyone can hear you? He didn't ask about ipads or google or anything else he asked about the garmin 760lmt. I was interested in the same unit and was hoping for some feedback to his answer. I don't want to sit here all night looking at post about everybodys idea of what we should use.
Hi again from AZ. . .one of those Garmin units I called junk (didn't give correct directions, 3 replacements to get one that lasted) WAS a 760LMT or I wouldn't have replied. And I think the iphone alternative is relevant to his question. Must be the loud pipes ! Regards, Craig