Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Northfield , Vermont
Fun Camping

Hello

I have been reading your posts here for almost a year. My wife and I hope to be in an AS with in a couple of years. What I was wanting to here about on this cold winters night, is some nice warm stories on what you all love about camping. Why do you do it? What is the draw for you? We want to be inspired to go out and buy an AS and join you all. Help me out here. We use to own a PoP up Coleman years ago and are thinking of putting our hat back in the ring. Tell me a warm campfire story.
Thanks
Freezing in Vermont
Roys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wherever you go, you have your beautiful little home on wheels with you...and you are home.

Maggie @ 9 years.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been trailer camping since I was a young adult, 40+ years ago. My first experience trailer camping was in a Jayco popup. I thought that popup was wonderful, based on my experiences tent camping prior to that trailer. I started Airstream camping 20+ years ago. I was on my third Airstream before I found this forum.

One of my warm camping stories has lead me to where I am right now. I'm setting in my Airstream in central FL. About 10 years ago, before I retired, my wife and I were taking a few weeks vacation to find some warm weather in mid winter. While we were traveling around in FL we made an unplanned/unscheduled overnight visit at an old campground. We were given such a warm welcome and enjoyed the people so much, we decided to come back again the following winter. The next time we stayed three weeks in the same campground. The next winter I decided to work online while I was there, so we stayed longer. This place has become our second home. We have made wonderful friends here, some who have become very close, almost like family. We stay now from October through April, except for going back home to be with family for holidays.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Ok A W

What is the camp site!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I'm about 135 miles SE of you.
I'm reluctant to say which place, since it's so crowded now. 100% full for the next 3 months.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Your request to hear fun camping stories has not fallen on deaf ears. There are many great experiences and camping stories to warm the cockles of your heart on a cold New England night.

We got into this Airstreaming thing about ten years ago, soon after we both retire. When we got our first Airstream, neither of us had ever been RVing before. We set out on the road, learning as we went. We got the knack of things pretty quickly, and become accomplished RV campers within the first year.

We started traveling the country extensively, spending more and more time in the Airstream. Over the past ten years, we have been out in the Airstream almost 1,800 nights, and have towed over 150,000 miles in all of the lower 48 states. We have spent 45% of the last ten years Airstreaming. It has been the time of our lives.

We Airstream all year round. We spend the winters camping in the warmer environs. We live in the Florida Panhandle, and spend our winters exploring the southeast. Even though we are both from Florida, we find new towns to explore and sights to see all the time.

In the other seasons, we head up north and out west. Our two favorite stomping grounds are Wyoming and Maine, but we hit everywhere else on the way and beyond. We love to explore small town America and stay off the Interstates as much as possible.

We have met many wonderful people along the way, and have visited friends and family in every nook and cranny of this great country. Our greatest hope is that we have many more years of Airstream travel.

Below, I have posted a few pictures from our 81 day western excursion earlier this year.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	255114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	255115  

Name:	DSC_0326.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	255116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0376.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	255117  

Name:	DSC_0592.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	255118   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0769.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	255119  

Name:	DSC_0811.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	255120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0820.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	255121  

Name:	DSC_1561.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	255122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1926.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	255123  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I hiked and camped as a youth. In college I was introduced to real backpacking by a friend, hiking into the North Georgia mountains to camp and trout fish. As a young married couple we backpacked in the Gila Wilderness in NM, again camping and fishing. We considered purchasing a pickup with a slide-in camper, but overseas orders ended that. As a young family we rented a Class C for a week up and back the northern CA coast from SF, spending nights in state and national parks including Mount Lassen Volcanic National Park. After a very long driving day, we pulled into the first campsite we came to.We sank into our seats for a while and finally got up to look around. When we opened the curtains at the dinette there, framed between some perfect Christmas trees, was the cone of the volcano, with snow on top.

Fast forward to 2013. I retired in May and DW retired in December. Along about October we both had the thought to go RVing again. We ended up in February 2014 with a 25' Safari which we have put over 6500 miles on spending nearly 40 nights in FL, GA, SC, NC, and VA. This year we are branching out with a trip to Louisiana for a WBCCI Caravan and a trip to a group camping experience in WY.

Wednesday we are heading for our second trip to the Canopener rally in the FL panhandle. You can't beat the camaraderie of Airstream people.

Take the plunge! You won't regret it.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Roys, this isn't a campfire tale but in answer to your "why" question.

We've both always loved the great outdoors, and did a fair bit of hiking and car-camping in tents, well into late middle age. As we got a bit older, packing up a wet tent, having to sleep in a wet tent, having to sleep with rocks in our backs became a whole lot less viable. It took us a long time to get our heads around a RV, but once we saw a 16' Bambi at a rest stop in Idaho, and realized we could have something that still could get us close to nature without being a big white box, we pretty well decided it was what we wanted. A hard-sided camper (vs. a pop-up) was a must, because we didn't want any set-up or take-down in the rain. (After we moved to BC, a hard-sided camper is a good idea because of bears, as well.) It had to have an on-board toilet. We wanted to camp in the types of sites we had previously enjoyed. After looking at some small campers of other brands, either they seemed claustrophobic, cheaply made, or both.

I have to say that old-fashioned camping is harder to come by these days, with so many big motor homes and 5th wheels with slide-outs on the road. We've camped in beautiful national park campgrounds, only to find our view completely blocked by the side wall of a SOB. But the wilder places still exist if we look for them. Now we just visit them with a little more taste and comfort.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The places are beautiful, the people even more so.

Just one people story - I brought my new-to-me Eddie Bauer to my home campground and went to put the tongue jack down... nada. I was puzzling over it when a neighbor came over to inquire about my Hensley hitch and saw my problem. I was just going to hand crank it down... and the crank didn't match the jack (mine takes a 5/8's socket). The man walked off and came back with two friends and a multimeter - found the problem was a loose electrical splice - and fixed it for me. Three guys who I barely know. Stuff like that will happen all the time.

If you run out of mustard I will offer you my Gray Poupon (or the plain yellow stuff if you prefer that).

Paula
Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

The places are beautiful, the people even more so.

I have to agree with Foiled. Sure you will get outside and go places that you have never been. BUT….. You will make friends, and build memories

During a real low point in my life, after a failed marriage, I went van camping at a Bluegrass festival. I met a whole lot of people, made some GREAT friends.
Made a whole lot of beautiful music. Spent some over the top quality time with my kids ( even some with my former wife ) Taught my daughter how to play guitar, bass, and mandolin. Sang and played music with my kids, and new friends.

Life is like a box of chocolates. It's out there. Maybe you will find your favorite food, restaurant, fishing hole, song, friend, place, or maybe….You might find yourself

As with everything in life…there is a downside. There is the bittersweet feeling of missing people ( and places ). And maybe if you get in touch with who you were meant to be….a few people will miss you.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Roys post got me thinking...

About Hillbilly television ( the campfire ) yeah, we've had threads about, and some hate the smell and smoke, but this thread is about fun.

There is something about campfires that ignite some of the most interesting discussions, and promote gut spilling confessions, life changing admissions, incredible stories, the forming of tight bonds of friendship, rekindling of the spark of love, and sometimes a hangover. Then again….sometimes it's just a quiet time to relax, unwind, and forget about your problems.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
This past fall we were parked in a campground inside Olympic National Park, Washington. The surrounding foliage reminded us of some kind of primeval forest and we half expected a dinosaur to pop out from behind a clump of trees. That kind of growth only exists because of an abundance of rain and during our week there, it rained every day. One day we were walking out of the loop and saw a group of college kids opening a trash bin and dumping their inexpensive tents into them. We instantly remembered our camping days and missed our tent but when the elements persist over a lengthy period of time, aluminum walls can save the trip.

Every time we re-entered our trailer, we tracked in wet dirt and needles but that's part of the deal when enjoying the outdoors; a small portable shop vac easily cleaned up the floors. In our old life in an apartment, when it rained, we would only know it when peering out our windows. When it rains now while in the trailer, we not only hear it first but our senses can also measure its intensity. There's a reason for tinted windows in addition to the cutting down of glare - to hide the momentary smugness of AS ownership while witnessing tenters attempt to erect their tents in high winds or incessant rain. There are not too many more satisfying sounds than the rush of heated air moving through the ducts while temperatures hover near freezing outside. Cutting kindling in the early morning frost can be a distant memory.

While aluminum walls can protect one from the elements, their iconic design inevitably provides easy conversation with fellow travelers. They allow one to find seclusion in the wild while still being able to enjoy the comforts of home, or good company in campgrounds. And that's the prize of AS ownership - the ability to break free of your norm and challenge one's limits, whether it be for a weekend or full timing. Your dreams lie before you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04333.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	255209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04643.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	255210  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Roys,

I have attached an article from a 2009 Wisconsin Unit newsletter that sums it up about as well as anything I can think of.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The_wonder_of_it_all_0904.pdf (110.6 KB, 31 views)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote