Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Full hook-ups close to Port Orchard, WA?

Hi all,

We are planning a family reunion at my brother's house in Port Orchard, WA, next summer (July 2015). I plan on staying in the area for 2 weeks, so I need a place with full hook-ups. I will probably be driving to my brother's almost every day, so someplace less than 30 minutes drive would be great.

I am having a hard time finding a nice place. Gig Harbor used to get good reviews, but it seems they've changed ownership and now there are many low reviews.

I'm a little surprised there are so few places that meet my criteria - in fact, in researching, I haven't found a nice place yet!

Any suggestions?
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Manchester State Park (SP) in Port Orchard looks like the closest SP campground. They have water and electric, but no sewer. However, there is a dump station near the entrance; so you could just dump your tanks once or twice a week, a minor inconvenience. Perhaps your brother can drive through and check it out for you.

July is in the peak summer season, so if you decide to stay here, you should make reservations in advance (they take reservations nine months ahead) to make sure you have a spot. Again, your brother could let you know which sites are the best. However, please note that Washington SPs limit stays to 10-days, maximum, in the peak season.

We stayed at Dash Point SP (northeast of Tacoma) a month or two ago, and if Manchester SP is anything like Dash Point, you'll really like it there. Also, send me a PM if you'd like the itinerary for our 78-day roadtrip up the PCH/Hwy-1 from San Francisco to Seattle, and back. There's lots to see and do on the Oregon and Washington coasts, and you can't find a more different landscape from Phoenix. Compared to our four inches of annual rainfall in Arizona, on the western side of Olympic National Park in the Hoh (River) Rain Forest, they get 14 to 17 FEET of rain per year; and it doesn't look anything like Flagstaff!

Note: You may want to save one night for the Washington Land Yacht Harbor (Airstream) RV Park near Olympia. If you've never stayed at an Airstream Park, it's an interesting experience; beautiful grounds and dog park, within a few blocks of a Costco and WalMart where you can refuel and restock for the trip home. It's about seven miles east of the junction of the 101 and I-5, and about a mile south of the freeway on surface streets.

==========

Manchester State Park | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

Camping Rates | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

Port Orchard (Washington ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks! From what I've seen, Manchester might be the best option. There seems to be a place nearby called Snooze Junction RV park, but I can't find any reviews or much info on it at all, which seems weird.

We used to live in CA and I've been to the SF (and Napa) areas quite a bit, but I've never done the drive between there and Seattle. That might be a great way to go up or come back down. Or saved for another trip entirely...depends on how much I want to do alone since my husband can only get so much time off work.

Decisions! :-)
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote