Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Fuel quality

K.. I have always used "car" pump diesel... This being Thanksgiving weekend, the car pumps were swamped, so I fueled with truck diesel pump.

My fuel mileage jumped from 11.5 to 14/13.9.....

Really????? I can't explain....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Usually the truck pumps are under a higher pressure for a larger volume. I wouldn't think the grade would be different.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
May have more debris at the truck pumps because of the high volume stirring up the the big tanks.

Also, Love's has placards showing they can have 15% bio-diesel, so there is a fuel mileage degradation there just like with ethanol in gasoline. My 2012 Dodge Ram owner's manual states a maximum of 5% bio-diesel.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah, filling up was great! I exceeded my limit before I realized it!!!! Hahah

No, this was measured via pencil and mileage, not the mi-liar computer in the dash.

Curious... But I will try for a few full ups just for fun.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
May have more debris at the truck pumps because of the high volume stirring up the the big tanks. Also, Love's has placards showing they can have 15% bio-diesel, so there is a fuel mileage degradation there just like with ethanol in gasoline. My 2012 Dodge Ram owner's manual states a maximum of 5% bio-diesel.
Golly, I didn't even think about that. It was a Luvs... And I looked right at it.

Maybe their BIO is from rabbits instead of beef?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
This being Thanksgiving weekend, the car pumps were swamped, so I fueled with truck diesel pump.

My fuel mileage jumped from 11.5 to 14/13.9.....

Really????? I can't explain....
There aren't a whole lot of different grades of diesel. 5% biodiesel, 15% biodiesel, #2 diesel (what you normally get) and #1 diesel, which is a winter blend that is less likely to gel in cold weather.

But at any one truck stop or service station, they'll only have one diesel storage tank, and what they got is what you get, no matter which pump you go to.

So if your fuel economy improved and it wasn't just a math error, it's probably not the fuel itself that caused it.

My Airstream Interstate (MB Sprinter) can only take 5% biodiesel, but that's due to the DEF system to control emissions, not due to anything in the engine. The first-ever diesel engine, at the Paris Exhibition in 1900, ran on 100% biodiesel made from peanut oil.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually the first diesel engines (non-automotive) ran on coal dust. They were needed to power pumps to remove water from the coal mines. They were short lived because....well they were short lived. The dust ate up the cylinder walls and rings in short order. A huge failure, until liquid fuel was tried.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Actually the first diesel engines (non-automotive) ran on coal dust.
When? Where? I knew that Rudolf Diesel intended for his engine to run on coal dust, but never saw anything in print about whether that idea came to fruition. But peanut oil as fuel was pretty definite; see Recognizing Rudolf Diesel's foresight in celebrating Biodiesel Day - Biodiesel.org
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The old purely mechanical diesels (the way it should be) would run on just about any type of oil. Diesel, vegetable oils, motor oil, biodiesel etc. It is funny that the DEF engines are supposed to be more green and they can't run full biodiesel.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is more debris in the truck stop diesel fuel in suspension than the less agitated car pumps at lower volumes. Big trucks have massive fuel filtration filters and engine oil filters.

Might I suggest that unless you have added adequate fuel filtration to the minimal system from the factory, you are more likely to have fuel issues with the truck stop fuel versus the local Chevron or Shell car station that sells diesel fuel.

I added a Cummins water separator filter coming out of the truck's new larger fuel tank into the stock Cummins separator/filter on the engine block. From that filter, I went into a Cummins two micron fuel filter. and then into the fuel rail.

I keep the receipts of each fueling detailing the date, time, and amount of fuel along with the address and the name of the dealer. In the event of a bad load of fuel, I can go back up the chain to have their insurer pay for the engine damage.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks again, Guys!! Certainly 'fuel' for thought...
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The rest of the story

The diesel in the truck pumps have a hydrogen additive. This is to compensate for the heavy large trucks. Therefore when you put it in a RV the lighter than air hydrogen lowers the effective weight of the vehicle. Because of this effect your gas mileage improves. Warning: Never also put it in an auxiliary tank or you may weigh so little that traction becomes a problem. I learned all this from an old trucker at a truck stop.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The diesel in the truck pumps have a hydrogen additive. This is to compensate for the heavy large trucks. Therefore when you put it in a RV the lighter than air hydrogen lowers the effective weight of the vehicle. Because of this effect your gas mileage improves. Warning: Never also put it in an auxiliary tank or you may weigh so little that traction becomes a problem. I learned all this from an old trucker at a truck stop.

Ken
Man, I havn't heard a good truck driver story like that in a real long time. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When? Where? I knew that Rudolf Diesel intended for his engine to run on coal dust, but never saw anything in print about whether that idea came to fruition. But peanut oil as fuel was pretty definite; see Recognizing Rudolf Diesel's foresight in celebrating Biodiesel Day - Biodiesel.org

Just Google it. They barely do more than mention it as a predecessor to his oil burners. It wore out quickly and IIRC he couldn't regulate the fuel delivery well and blew the head off one, then gave up on it. He didn't invent the coal dust burner...some French (I think) dude did in the 1890s, as I recall, but it wasn't compression ignition. I am recalling all this from my first Diesel class in college, so bear with me.

Edit: brief story of development and coal dust here..looks like a 3 year experiment.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/CH1.pdf

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

I ran into this a while back about the history of the Diesel engine. Its about 18 minutes presented by Shell.

Gary

S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We spent a summer in Canada. Mostly Newfoundland. $5.50 or so for diesel. I got lousy milage the whole trip both while towing and running without the trailer. Determined by the onboard meter. Confirmed by 1 or 2 spot checks after I took the trouble to convert liters to gallons. Confirmed by how often I had to buy fuel. Got back into the states into Maine and the fuel milage went back up to what I consider normal on the onboard meter. I attributed it to the fuel. Not sure what the difference could be.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Very interesting video!

Thanks for sharing.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Fred,

I know its a bit off topic regarding fuel quality but diesel history sorta crept in.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've never noticed a difference between small nozzle and large nozzle diesel, which seems to be what you're noticing.

I have noticed a difference between seedy diesel stations and good diesel stations... a few miles after filling I get the dreaded "Water in Fuel" warning. Fortunately I haven't had that happen in over 2 years, since just after I bought the truck.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I've never noticed a difference between small nozzle and large nozzle diesel, which seems to be what you're noticing.
I've not noticed a difference either. Any time I have noticed a difference in fuel mileage while towing , it was always a result of wind.

My truck makes the best mileage in sixth gear, turning 1700 RPM with a 35 MPH tail wind. Yes, it has happened, once.