Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Dahinda , Illinois
Ft. Collins, CO campgrounds??

Anyone have a good recommendation or two for a nice campground in the Ft. Collins, CO area or anything that might be good on Rt. 76 southeast of Greeley?? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
A few years ago we stayed at the Ft. Collins KOA and found it to work out well for us. Friends in Ft. Collins introduced us to Vern's, just down the street. A "must eat there" place. Great burgers and onion rings.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
KOA in Ft Collins is fine. Really nothing in the Greeley area nor along I76 unless you are heading north east to Nebraska. If you can boondock there is the Greeley Missile Silo county park on CO 34 just east of I-25. $5 per night. Nice little park. Does have bathrooms but depending on when you are coming they may have closed for the season. Check AllStays, it shows the lack of spots in the Greeley area.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Dahinda , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
KOA in Ft Collins is fine. Really nothing in the Greeley area nor along I76 unless you are heading north east to Nebraska. If you can boondock there is the Greeley Missile Silo county park on CO 34 just east of I-25. $5 per night. Nice little park. Does have bathrooms but depending on when you are coming they may have closed for the season. Check AllStays, it shows the lack of spots in the Greeley area.

The campgrounds around Greeley sound scary so Ft Collins KOA is sounding better all the time. I'm assuming it's the one between I-25 and Estes Park that you and another recommended. Heard I-25 is a mess with construction so we'll stick to a 2 laner to FC. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I just got back from Ft Collins/Loveland. Both my son and daughter live out there. I wasnt camping on this trip but went to check out a couple campgrounds for future trips with our Airstream. Horsetooth lake is just outside of FOCO and the sites are right on the water. My son says that the weekends during the summer are very crowded with boaters but this time of year im sure its starting to quiet down. It sits right at the edge of the foothills, it will due when we want quick access to FOCO.
Boyd Lake state park is just south of there near Loveland, just off I25 so access is real good. Its just a mile or two from the foothills. Looks pretty nice. There are a few really nice looking spots a little further up in Poudre Canyon, right along the Poudre river, it looked like there was some pretty tight length restrictions. Try Google for Poudre Canyon camping. (They pronounce it "pooder" out there)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Interactive map: Poudre Canyon camping guide | The Coloradoan ...
archive.coloradoan.com/.../Interactive-map-Poudre-Canyon-camping-guide
May 14, 2013 - Read on to help plan your camping trips to the Poudre Canyon this year. ... Maximum vehicle length: RV sites range from 23-130. feet with the ...
Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We're in Lakeside KOA right now. Been in and out of here and several other places since late August. The Poudre Canyon KOA mentioned above is closed for season. This one ( Lakeside) is a pretty good KOA, not too crowded now. maybe half full? It's a big one. Excellent location, especially if you like to bike.

Horsetooth is okay, a little on the barren side and can get blustery with the fetch. busy on weekends with boaters.
Also Check out St. Vrain State Park. A few miles closer to Denver down i-25. We prefer the state parks to the KOAs. Also if you get a little further south of Denver Chatfield State Park is pretty nice. Be careful about getting into places at altitude this time of year. Watch the forecast for the higher spots.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
KOA/Lakeside (1910 Lakeside Resort Lane, Fort Collins) is where we stayed. It was nice, and,,,don't forget to try Vern's.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Dahinda , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
We're in Lakeside KOA right now. Been in and out of here and several other places since late August. The Poudre Canyon KOA mentioned above is closed for season. This one ( Lakeside) is a pretty good KOA, not too crowded now. maybe half full? It's a big one. Excellent location, especially if you like to bike.

Horsetooth is okay, a little on the barren side and can get blustery with the fetch. busy on weekends with boaters.
Also Check out St. Vrain State Park. A few miles closer to Denver down i-25. We prefer the state parks to the KOAs. Also if you get a little further south of Denver Chatfield State Park is pretty nice. Be careful about getting into places at altitude this time of year. Watch the forecast for the higher spots.
We got to Lakeside KOA yesterday (10/9) and are at site 150 till Sunday morning. If you're still here let me know your site # and maybe we can visit tomorrow sometime. This is a nice campground, so glad for the several suggestions I got for it.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Dahinda , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
KOA/Lakeside (1910 Lakeside Resort Lane, Fort Collins) is where we stayed. It was nice, and,,,don't forget to try Vern's.
We had lunch at Vern's yesterday. Good meals! I had the Krautburger and hubby had the NOCO meat pie. Loved all the decor! Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest1969 View Post
We got to Lakeside KOA yesterday (10/9) and are at site 150 till Sunday morning. If you're still here let me know your site # and maybe we can visit tomorrow sometime. This is a nice campground, so glad for the several suggestions I got for it.
We were at site 100 until Thursday morning. Presently down near Boulder for a few days babysitting Grandkid. We stayed at site 20 several times in September. It's one of their hot tub sites. I hate hot tubs but we like the location and extra room. We'll be back at lakeside Monday for a few days and then headed to Texas and back before we put trailer in storage in ft. Collins and head home to the island. Looks like we just missed you.

Haven't tried Verns yet, despite three seasons staying in the area now. We do a lot of King Sooper sushi and just started with the Serious Texas BBQ.
We're still looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Fort Collins. Been to a bunch and haven't yet found one we bothered to return to. love Austin's steak house for the buffalo.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Try El Cielo in Loveland for a good, family owned and run Mexican restaurant. Just a few minutes south of FOCO. Its in a little strip mall on Eisenhower. Doesnt look like much from the outside but was really good food and a great salsa bar. Salsa verde was incredible.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Dahinda , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
We were at site 100 until Thursday morning. Presently down near Boulder for a few days babysitting Grandkid. We stayed at site 20 several times in September. It's one of their hot tub sites. I hate hot tubs but we like the location and extra room. We'll be back at lakeside Monday for a few days and then headed to Texas and back before we put trailer in storage in ft. Collins and head home to the island. Looks like we just missed you.

Haven't tried Verns yet, despite three seasons staying in the area now. We do a lot of King Sooper sushi and just started with the Serious Texas BBQ.
We're still looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Fort Collins. Been to a bunch and haven't yet found one we bothered to return to. love Austin's steak house for the buffalo.
Yes, we're going to miss you, as we are heading out this morning (Sunday) for home. I'd suggest a stop for lunch at the Mishawaka Amphitheatre about half way to Rustic on the Poudre Canyon drive. Great lunch! They are only open Th-Sun now. Plus it's a great drive!