Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I backpacked in my younger days, carrying the tent, and everything else, with me. More recently I threw the tent into the car and was able to carry far more, but that setting up and breaking down of the camp site was getting to be painful, especially as we always filled the car to bursting, regardless of its size. Then we went to the Airstream; a proper bed, hot shower and a personal toilet, which is all to the good and something I've earned as I've aged. We still take tents camping, but now they are for the kids and the Airstream becomes an adult haven. Perfect!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
We were tent campers all of our lives until buying the Airstream at retirement. We have spent multiple months in it at a time and that is the single greatest advantage, you can keep going, seeing, doing and enjoying the same places (or new ones of the same type) for extended periods and repeated visits. We have particularly enjoyed the WBCCI Caravans and rallies, lots learned from other Airstreamers. Drawbacks, much easier to stay warm and cozy in the bed on cold mornings. Our birding and nature hiking has tended towards later in the day and evenings because it is so comfy to sleep in! In the tend, by morning you were stiff and cold and wanted to get up and move, in the AStream you are warm and cozy and want to sleep in. It takes more effort to enjoy all the nature you are surrounded by outside. Of course the first time you stay warm and dry through an rainstorm you will say the tradeoff is to your advantage. You will love the Airstream, but unless you have reasons for going bigger, stay with the smaller sizes, you will have so much more room it will feel gigantic (we have a 23 ft. and still find it comfy after five years plus for spouse and two cats for up to three and a half months at a time)

Old 12-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Papa Smurf
Note the common thread in all the responses here....NOONE would go back to tent camping. That will include you...trust us. But keep the tent for the backpacking trips and the rare situation where you can't uses your AS. Like the others, I tent camped for 45 years, then bought my 20ft FC in 2010...I love that camper...even when it just sits in the driveway for a couple of weeks. You'll go out to just sit in it and have coffee...and you'll come across better offering visiting friends a night in your AS as opposed to offering setting up a tent for them in the driveway. Pick the right model and go for it. Jon
Old 12-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Refer to the "would you loan out your Airstream" thread for a ton of opinions on that idea 😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
My husband took a sabbatical from work a few years ago and we spent almost three years traveling extensively, sleeping in our tent or SUV for all but a few nights (the roosters got to us in Kauai!). We both tent camped and backpacked extensively before that period of travel and I never saw myself as an RV person. Then, the reality of going back to work hit us and we decided to try working from the road on a part-time basis to keep the travel going. We bought an Airstream in August to facilitate working from the road and I have to say that I am really enjoying the comforts of RV camping - the toilet, being able to cook, staying warm, etc. We also have our cats with us, which makes me happy.

The biggest drawback for us is the lack of flexibility. In our SUV, we roamed wherever we wanted and didn't have to have any plans. This worked quite well for us because we are photographers and like to chase conditions/weather. The RV makes that flexibility impossible since moving a trailer is lot more difficult than moving our car and tent. Things take a lot longer, like the set-up and take-down process. I am also not used to planning so making campground reservations with a large vehicle has been a learning experience. Finally, owning an Airstream has been much more expensive than I anticipated. My budget for buying the trailer and tow vehicle was woefully inadequate one I added all of the unanticipated extras and we have spent more on little miscellaneous stuff than I would have ever imagined. I miss the simplicity of having everything we needed for a three week trip in our cargo box or a few North Face duffel bags and the flexibility of moving around but also am really enjoying being away in a home away from home.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Don't miss using the tent

We tent camped (always in a campground, never backpacked) for years until the time we were camped in bear country and a large, furry, and hungry critter tried to move our tent in the middle of the night, with us in it. (the critter turned out to be a cow....).

From there we got a 13 foot Scamp and used it for 12 years, 160 nights. Then came retirement and the 25 foot Airstream. We have never been tempted to go back to the tent, but we still use the Scamp sometimes.....it fits in some places the big trailer won't go, and we get more of a "back-to-nature" vibe with it. If I had money to burn I think I'd trade the Scamp for a Bambi, and pair it with a 30 foot Airstream.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Many years ago, we started car-camping, moved on to back-packing, and there we stayed for decades. I finally decided that the ground is just too hard for older bones and the outdoor toilets were always too far away for wee hour (pun intended) forays, so we got into Airstreams and have looked back only to wish we had done it much sooner. An A/S would have made a fantastic base camp in those backpacking years: a hot shower right off the trail! A clean toilet! Real food instead of reconstituted right off the trail!

And that is not even mentioning the camaraderie, friendship, and knowledge available on this forum, at WBCCI rallies, or on the road from fellow Airstreamers. I wouldn't go back to a tent for anything.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Funny, if I ever feel I need to prove to myself I can still tent camp, it will likely be in my backyard.
So to end the guessing game, where is the picture of your tent camp from? Looks beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Mesa Verde Nat. Park Colorado U.S.A.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
When it rains, I roll over and smile!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I should have gone from tent to Airstream, but I didn't.
I went from Tent to Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS to Airstream Classic 30.
I should have gone from tent to Airstream Classic 30 in the first place. All I did was prolong the inevitable. It is what I wanted to do in the first place, but I was trying to not spend the money. So much for that...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
We went from the ground, to tents, to VW campers, to the 23' Airstream. We never miss the ground or the tent, and the only time we miss the VW's is when we have to drive by a great campsite because the Airstream is too big. Plus, having an Airstream does not rule out more primitive camping -- you can do both.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
VW campers rate extremely high on the coolness scale, but I've never seen one with a shower or air conditioning (not including Rialta).
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
VW campers rate extremely high on the coolness scale, but I've never seen one with a shower or air conditioning (not including Rialta).
We had four VW poptop campers over 35 years and still believe they were (are even) the ultimate touring machine. Some off-road capability allowed great remote campsites. They did not need a tow vehicle and did not tow a vehicle so were nimble to go anywhere, anytime and very compact. Four wheel drive (Syncro) was an option for serious off-roading.

No air conditioning but you could open rear hatch and side door for great ventilation, and screens were available for both as well as an attached side tent. Showers were done outside or sponge baths inside in cold weather.

There are plenty of new camper vans, but they are not cool and not nearly as light and nimble as the VW's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large_3fe440f68bf0d70e68de59639058a1e6-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	228226  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote