Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
We are planning our trip to Maine from Little Rock, AR for late August, through September & into early October. Up through Indiana, Ohio (visit the Airstream Factory) on to Niagara Falls & then across to Maine. All suggestions welcomed.

sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Chuck, Florida 55 (post #9) has the right idea (in my hmble opinion), .

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Go up 220, cross the Blue Ridge to 81 on 64 at Charlottesville. Follow 81 thru Penna. until you can cross over to 95 north of NYC. Avoids most tolls and big city congestion, and is not too much longer than the "shortest" route. Make sure things in the trailer are well stowed, northern roads are very rough and will beat the crap out of your trailer, esp. in Maine. Also, NY state has it's own surcharge on tickets in addition to the local fine.

This is a GOOD route and it's pretty too!

I have also gone up and down the eastern shore a lot. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it during the heat of summer. The entire eastern shore has gone into the chicken agri-bus! Egg production and chicken processing plants by both Tyson and Perdue have turned Rt 13 into a "hold your nose" zone that goes for miles and miles. Speed traps are also common, and last time I took the Airstream across the Bay Bridge Tunnel the cost was $25. It's probably $30 by now. You'll save that amount in gas IF you're headed into NYC... but you'll drive east of I-95 for 100 miles to reach Va. Beach and the Bay Bridge.

Again, you'll like the mountains of Virginia in the heat of summer (and there's Virginia Highland Haven for an overnight stay - plus a lot of nice wineries. Take the Airstream, sample the product, sleep it off in the stream before you proceed!)

If you were coming to Virginia Beach as a destination, going across the Bay Bridge for a day trip is worth doing - and they'll give you a coupon that saves a lot of money on the return trip for a same day commute. If I were headed to Colonial Airstream (NJ - close to Philadelphia) I'd go up the eastern shore. If Atlantic City is on your radar, you either have to take the Cape May Ferry - big bucks with an Airstream & a long slow trip - or go straight north almost to Philadelphia, then zig back east to Atlantic City.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
A great route !!

Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
We live in Piedmont NC. My preference for traveling to New England is US 52 from Winston-Salem to I-81. I 81 runs along the mountains in Virginia and takes you past the entire Washington/Baltimore congestion to Pennsylvania. There is considerable truck traffic on I81 but I find it preferable to the I95/Jersey Turnpike corridor.

In PA you have a couple of options:

Take I78 E to the Jersey Turnpike in Newark, then north to I95.

An alternative is to take I81 to Scranton and then up I84 to Massachusetts where it connects with I90 east and then on to I290 to I485 and then to I95 north of Boston.
Made a trip to Maine 2 weeks ago and used this route including the alternative in Penn staying on till Scranton, I-81 to I-84. I wasn't towing but I can tell you that towing or not this was really great. From where I live, wouldn't use any other route after having done it. Thanks passed on to Florida 55 for having posted it. tb

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote