Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #1

1996 34' Excella
Holland , Michigan
from mich I-57 to I-40 ark travel tips

What are some good parking places between Mich and Ark taking I-57 in Ill to I-40 in Ark? We are towing a 34 ft Excella Classic from Mich to Arizona for our first cross country trip in an Airstream. Any advice from old timers would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I have stayed in a couple of Walmart parking lots in Arkansas off the 40.. I have never stayed in an RV park there. The Walmarts are usually visible from the freeway.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich cottage
What are some good parking places between Mich and Ark taking I-57 in Ill to I-40 in Ark? We are towing a 34 ft Excella Classic from Mich to Arizona for our first cross country trip in an Airstream. Any advice from old timers would be appreciated.
Hmmm....if you are coming down I-55 you intersect I-74. Go southeast from there on I-74 and exit at Leroy Il. Home to Moraine View State Park and the June Midwest Forum Rally!You can get back on to I-74 and drive southeast where it will intersect I-57.

Just curious since you are from Holland. We used to stay at a campground just south of Holland on Lake Goshorn, just outside the city limits of Saugatauk. I can't seem to find anything on that campground anymore but it looks like the area around the lake is being developed for condos? Is the campground gone?

Regards and welcome to the forum!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
This is not about places to stop but it is some road advice.
I was down in in Shreveport last May and there was A LOT construction in Little Rock. It was pretty tight going through there. You were right up against the concrete barricades in some spots.

I am not sure if it is still like that but it looked to be a rather lengthy and large construction project.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
from mich I-57 to I-40 ark travel tips

Greetings Mich cottage!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Some of my favorite places along your route would include:

Kankakee River State Park:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...EE.HTM#Camping

Near Exit 315 on Interstate 57 (Bradley-Bourbonnais)

A little further South, one of my favorites is the Arcola Camper Stop. This is a very plain commercial campground, but it is located near a fantastic Pennsylvania Dutch style Restarurant - - The Dutch Kitchen located on Main Street in Arcola. Both are much less than two miles off of the Interstate.

Arcola Arcola Camper Stop
472 Davis St.
Arcola, IL 61910
217-268-4616

Arcola is located at Exit 203 on Interstate 57

Continuing on to the South, another favorite of mine is the Giant City State Park. A bit of a drive off of the Interstate, but well worth the trip. It is near such attractions as Bald Knob Cross of Peace (Alto Pass, IL), and within the park is one of my all-time favorite restaurants affectionately known by locals as The Lodge - - family style fried chicken is the specialty, but my favorite is their filet mingnon. See Giant City State Park at:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...GC.HTM#Camping

The most convenient exit from Interstate 57 for the park is #54 (IL 13 West toward Carbondale) - - follow IL 13 to the East Edge of Carbondale where you will turn South (Left) on Giant City Road (WalMart will be on the North side of Highway 13 directly across from Giant City Road) - - the intersection is stoplight controlled. The road to the park is an improved two-lane and will take you directly to the RV campground (just follow the signs after entering the park).

Continuing on to the South, another of my favorites is Town & Country Camping

Town & Country Camping
RR 2
Sikeston MO 63801-9802
573-472-1339

From Interstate 57, take the Bertrand, MO exit turn right (Northwest) continue on access road approximately 1 mile to US 62 West - - follow US 62 West to Sikeston - - Town & Country Camping will be on your left (to the South) as you enter Sikeston. The best feature of this campground is its proximity to Lamberts' Cafe - - Home of Throwed Rolls - - see:

http://www.throwedrolls.com/sikeston.html

Less than five miles West of the campground, you will find Lamberts Cafe right on Highway 62 (East Malone Street).

Enjoy your excursion!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

marion , Illinois
I-57 South

As an old geezer/native/camper/fat boy, I think I'm qualified to comment on your trip from Michigan.
As has been said before, depending on your time, there are some awesome places in extreme Southern Illinois that are not to be missed. You may decide to end your trip here and enjoy our wonderful spring. Between Marion and Cairo is a different Illinois, a reprieve from the Great Corn Desert. 1100' "mountains", deep valleys, many lakes, cypress swamps, few people.
Buy a DeLorme Atlas and explore.

1. Giant City park lodge all you can eat family style chicken dinner.
2 Ferne Clyff State Park in Goreville. Hike or walk. Beautiful bluffs
3. The new 17th Street BBQ in Marion. Take the first exit (Carbondale) and then turn right at the first light. Better bbq than any place in Memphis.
4. Pine Hill ridge road drive west of Jonesboro.
5.Wal-mart/Sams in Marion permits overnight parking.
6. Ferne Clyff and Giant City both have nice campgrounds.
7. There's a nice campground at the Goreville exit of I-57.
8. Wait until the Charleston, Mo. area to buy gas. We favor gas at Boomland and food at the Apple Valley Cafe , exits 10 and 12.
9 Lamberts in Sikeston has been featured on the travel channel as one of the most awesome places to eat in the US.
10 I-55 from Sikeston to Memphis is probably the roughest Interstate in the nation. People take 2 lane roads to avoid it.
11. If you could figure a way to visit Mtn. View Arkansas along the way, you'd really have some memories.

don
1969 Overlander
2004 Sunnybrook
2004 2500 HD Chevy

'69 Overlander
'69 Avion Slide-In
'96 Starcraft Pop-up

You can never have too many campers
pebblepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Re-Read Lou Patterson's post!!!! This area of highway is NARROW and A LOT OF TURNS/CURVES. Watch out for 18 wheelers that make these curves with the rear end of their trailer in YOUR lane!!

Best advice I can give: stay in the right lane and let the rest fly by.

Oh --- and one more thing. Folks entering the Interstate along this construction area THINK they have the right-of-way and will put out in front of you!!

Other than that stretch of road, enjoy your journey..

don
Old 02-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in E Texas
Re-Read Lou Patterson's post!!!! This area of highway is NARROW and A LOT OF TURNS/CURVES. Watch out for 18 wheelers that make these curves with the rear end of their trailer in YOUR lane!!

Best advice I can give: stay in the right lane and let the rest fly by.

Oh --- and one more thing. Folks entering the Interstate along this construction area THINK they have the right-of-way and will put out in front of you!!

Other than that stretch of road, enjoy your journey..

don
Yeah, it was "white knuckle" all the way through the lower part of Little Rock! I would rather drive over the Mackinac Bridge in winter with a storm coming accross Lake Michigan! At least it is over quicker than that construction in Little Rock was.
Avoid it if you can. It is like a tin can alley through there!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #9

1996 34' Excella
Holland , Michigan
I-57 to I-40 travel tips: Thanks for all the great suggestions. They will be put in our travel notebook.To jcanavera there is still a campground on Blue Star Highway just outside Saugatuck. Part of it has gone "condo." (269-857-3777). However, there is another listing Saugatuck Campgrounds (269-857-3315) which I think is a part still open for drive-ins. Have you tried Cousins RV Campground near South Haven 16 miles south of Saugatuck? (269-673-1499). Lately refurbished and nicely laid out. To pattersontoo: We may look for a way around Little Rock. Thanks for the tip. I guess we'll check with AAA about construction.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

I think the road construction situation in Arkansas has been a little overblown. It was pretty bad a year or two ago, but they've gotten a lot of the work done since then. Granted, I've not tried to pull a trailer through it, but I make a run across the state (Ft. Smith to Memphis and back) about once a month and it's not really that bad. Just keep in mind that 40 between Little Rock and Memphis is some of the most heavily traveled interstate in the country, so you're going to be bumper to bumper with semis most of the way. As long as everyone plays nice, it's not a problem. Stay on 40 and try to avoid going through Little Rock during the afternoon rush (say, 4:00 to 6:30) and you should be fine.

Here's the website for the State Highway & Transportation Deptartment:

http://www.arkansasinterstates.com/

Follow the links under "Traffic Zone" for current construction zones and lane closures.

Good luck.