Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo View Post
Well, VS, I hadn't given direction much thought yet; however, going from Crater of Diamonds to Mount Magazine makes sense. We will definitely be going to Little Rock, so I'll give you a shout. What is there to do in Hot Springs? From everything I've read, it really doesn't seem all that exciting. The Abbey looks like it could be really neat. Also, any cool breweries around there? I just can't wait to hit the road and go to the Natural State. One thing I am trying to avoid is returning the same way I went. I would like to form a loop of some sort if at all possible. Leaving Austin, going thru LA, AR, OK. Thanks again for the input, everyone.

Hi again,

I’ll have to admit, I’ve only spent a couple afternoons in Hot Springs for leisure. Toured a bathhouse, pretty stained glass of which I am a fan. On another occasion I went to Oaklawn, a horse track that sees a lot of races for potential Kentucky Derby horses (Good Rubens, but Katz’s on 6th in Austin should serve that need for you). HS has other good dining, but it is not a destination for me.

The area around Mount Magazine is not brewery country but Arkansas’ wine country. There is one winery in Paris: Cowie Wine Cellars, and three in Altus north of I 40: Wiederkehr Wine Cellars, Inc., Post Familie Vineyards, and Mount Bethel Winery. Of course there are wineries located close to you too. I have worked a crush at Wimberley Valley Winery. I lived very close to it and bicycled by it often.

When you get to Little Rock, there are a couple of breweries you may want to consider. Diamond Bear (Welcome to Diamond Bear Brewery) bottles a local brew and sells it to other retailers. Vino’s (http://www.vinosbrewpub.com/) is a microbrewery that serves pizza by the slice and calzones. The restaurant portion in front is family friendly and popular, while the bar section in back is a popular alternative music scene. This makes Vino’s an excellent location for exotic wildlife spotting. On a weekend night you can definitely up your tat, Mohawk, and piercing count as you watch band members walk through. The pie is good in a thin crust kind of way and I recommend Lazy Boy Stout.

I understand the desire to see different things on the trip. Once when mom and dad were alive I made the trip from Driftwood to Paris entirely on two lane highways. No Airstream on this trip, just my ’72 Satellite Sebring.

I look forward to seeing all of you when you are here!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
One Week Out!

We will finally be leaving for Arkansas on Sunday. We are really excited to get on the road and stretch out our legs. So far I only know where we are going, just not exactly in what order. We will be gone for 7 days and will gladly accept any suggestions. This trip looks like it is going to be a hybrid of camping and city dwelling. Here is our list of things:

1. Crater of Diamonds State Park - Is there anything cool around Murfreesboro? Places to eat?
2. Lake Catherine State Park - Anyone been there? The pictures look pretty and it looks like a good place for the kids to get wet. We will probably go to Magic Springs for a day.
3. Hot Springs - I don't know much about the place, but it seems pretty neat and very popular (could be crowded).
4. Little Rock - We have friends that live here and want to see them. Also, I think we'll catch a baseball game, see the Big Dam Bridge, Clinton Library, Zoo, Diamond Bear Brewery (I gotta fit beer in there), Vino's Brew Pub. I need help on places to stay around this area, so if anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate them.
5. Petit Jean - I have heard really great things about this park.
6. Mount Magazine
7. Talimena Scenic Byway

Yes, this is a lot, and I will have to cut some stuff out, which is where ya'll come in to play. What "fat" can I trim? What seems like the most logical route? Clockwise? Counterclockwise? Thanks again. We're so pumped. The kids don't even know what's about to 'em.

Danny
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Dannyo, We overnighted at Lake Catherine SP once and found it to be very nice with lots of room between sites and with lakeside sites available as well. Have a great trip!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When I was a kid- a trip to grandmas house in Magazine Mtn. was a incredible thing...I remember the muskadine grapes and sugar loaf mountain and those spooky wooden bridges at the bottom of most hills.....CRRRREEEEEEK! We are going to Hot Springs too for vacation and your going to love it...Also Devils Den is a popular place..