Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I just set it on it's back and a bunch of clear fluid spilled out...so I'm assuming I have a coolant leak somewhere. How does one repair that..is there some kind of epoxy?

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Silver solder the leak and recharge.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Silver solder the leak and recharge.
I do happen to have some silver based solder I use when I build guitar effect pedals...I hope that works. Now to locate the leak...

Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Did you have it running on an inverter at the time of was if off for transit? If it was running and was bounced around it probably damaged the compressor. You could try a new starter capacitor but should probably just take it by an appliance service place and let them check it.
You might try to tap the compressor immediately after plugging it in. Male sure it has cooled down before doing this.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
Did you have it running on an inverter at the time of was if off for transit? If it was running and was bounced around it probably damaged the compressor. You could try a new starter capacitor but should probably just take it by an appliance service place and let them check it.
You might try to tap the compressor immediately after plugging it in. Male sure it has cooled down before doing this.
No it wasn't running on an inverter at the time. I think the compressor must have a leak since there was some clear oil that leaked from it. It just hums now and gets hot but does not cool the fridge. I bought some 134 coolant today but can't find a leak anywhere. I guess I'll just buy a new fridge.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Electric vs propane/electric refrigerator

I guess that's why "they say" that a home refrigerator isn't designed for the bumping and shaking that can happen to an RV model. The ammonia based propane/electric refrigerators are quite a bit more expensive, but have a lot fewer solder joints and bits and pieces to break. Many people do successfully use home reefers - but if there is a LOT of travel in your future you might want to get an RV model. It's not at all uncommon to find a 30 year old RV with the original reefer still working.

Paula
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Yes. Lesson learned. All the weak aspects of my setup are being exposed as I continue to travel. I'm gaining a lot of experience and learning though. My tire blowout was my fault because I wasn't diligent about checking my air pressure and overall tire condition.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
actually..I really hate giving up. So I inspected it some more and did find a crack in the copper tubing. I'm going to solder it now. anyone know how to recharge the compressor? I don't see a port.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
actually..I really hate giving up. So I inspected it some more and did find a crack in the copper tubing. I'm going to solder it now. anyone know how to recharge the compressor? I don't see a port.
Generally there isn't one when they come from the factory, even on full-sized fridges. When I had the compressor on mine in the house replaced under warranty, they brazed in a Schrader valve.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Generally there isn't one when they come from the factory, even on full-sized fridges. When I had the compressor on mine in the house replaced under warranty, they brazed in a Schrader valve.
Ok..then I officially give up. Its' a shame having to throw away a perfectly good fridge because of a small leak in a copper tube, but it's cheaper to buy a new one then to purchase the specialized tools needed for the repair.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Ok..then I officially give up. Its' a shame having to throw away a perfectly good fridge because of a small leak in a copper tube, but it's cheaper to buy a new one then to purchase the specialized tools needed for the repair.
Don't give up yet. Get one of these, and get a can of R134a and charging kit from your local auto parts store:1/4" Bullet Line Tap Valve For All Refrigerants Install on the High Side Line: American HVAC Parts

According to the label, it only takes a small amount of refrigerant, so you won't need the whole can. Probably more important is to figure out how much oil you lost, and replace that so the compressor doesn't burn up.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Don't give up yet. Get one of these, and get a can of R134a and charging kit from your local auto parts store:1/4" Bullet Line Tap Valve For All Refrigerants Install on the High Side Line: American HVAC Parts

According to the label, it only takes a small amount of refrigerant, so you won't need the whole can. Probably more important is to figure out how much oil you lost, and replace that so the compressor doesn't burn up.
I think I will have a go at fixing this. I'm pretty sure I'll need a vacuum device too. Is a propane torch hot enough for the silver solder? At any rate, this job will have to wait til I get back to home base. Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Is a propane torch hot enough for the silver solder?
Yes, that's what I used "back in the day" when I was working with copper pipes.