Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2005, 10:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
May take some trial and error...

Our favorite campground was in N. Dakota last year and they advertised "Internet Access" on billboard... Turned out that meant: "telephone jack over dryer in laundry".. Upon further investigation a little sign was posted: "We're so far from everywhere, that if your ISP doesn't have an 800 number, you won't be connecting.." We laughed, they were right...

Anyway, if you have phone card, try it to see how process works (dial their toll free/800 #, then code, then target number, then card # ??) and then enter all those into a long string, with comma's to pause about 3 seconds per comma). Should work til value of card gone.. If you're using regular phone co credit card (like SBC or Sprint or Verizon) be prepared for a shock, as rates are in dollars per minute for connect time... (NOT pennies..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Jeff just told me I could finally buy my laptop...!! The Micron with the 40 megabyte hard drive goes back to my dad's...(yes, megabytes, not gigs...) Yay! coffee shops here i come...

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #43
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
Our favorite campground was in N. Dakota last year and they advertised "Internet Access" on billboard... Turned out that meant: "telephone jack over dryer in laundry".. Upon further investigation a little sign was posted: "We're so far from everywhere, that if your ISP doesn't have an 800 number, you won't be connecting.." We laughed, they were right...

John McG
John,
Funny you should mention that...we hit the same situation in Elk City, OK. However my cell modem worked just fine, and my company provides us with a 800 number for dial in to our server so we had the bases covered. I do know that Earthlink has 800 number service available for and added cost. It is .10 a minute, might be an alternative to hassling with a calling card.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hawking WiFi locator on sale!

Hi gang,

The Hawking WiFi locator mentioned in this thread is on sale at Buy.com for $9.99 after rebates. I bought one of these Captain Kirk Communicators a while back for 25 bucks and it works as described. It's a LOT easier to flip open this gadget and push one button to find a wi-fi signal than it is to fire up the old laptop. It won't tell you if the connection is password protected like some of the more expensive devices but, hey, for 10 bucks, it's a great time saver!!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...70&dcaid=17070

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

internet

if you subscribe to koa kamgrounds internet service for $14.95 per month you can have free wi-fi service at all particapiting kampgrounds..............
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
IMHO, wireless access points are very easy to set at least WEP security on and consequently I consider it an invitation by the owner of it to share a bit of their bandwidth if an access point has been left unsecured.

There are step by step instructions included with every AP for securing it and so there is no excuse for not doing it unless you want to allow others to use it. Here is Austin, TX at least 15% of the APs that I find around town are unsecured and this is a technically savvy city so I assume that they have been left open intentionally.

It is also useful to buy a USB WiFi adapter which includes an integral high gain antenna. You can move it around and maximize your signal strength easily.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote