Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Freaked us out

We were sitting around, heard the sirens, looked up and saw the smoke, knew it was very close to us. All of a sudden we heard two huge explosions and went running towards the smoke. A Class B was taking on propane and exploded, somehow. We watched it burn for it seemed like hours before the F.D. got there; I believe they were preparing for the worst with that big propane tank next to the burning coach. The owner of the coach had been in the store and the attendent who was pumping the propane shut the big tank down and grabbed a extinguisher, to no avail. I talked with her, and she said she happened to look out the window as he hooked-up the propane to her coach, and the whole thing exploded! So, no one killed, town still on the map; what do we have to learn? My feeling, is the guy forgot to shut her main line down and her pilot light was still on and the pressure of the propane input fired the coach. I've always shut the main down myself, and will continue to do so. This could have been a huge disaster; it is for the gal from British Columbia who's vacation is shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1692fire.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	152851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1700fire.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	152852  

Name:	DSCN1705fire.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	152853  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I fill propane and I always ask motorhome or trailer owners if their pilot lights are off.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
From the looks of it that could have been way worse. Glad to hear no one killed or injured. Hope insurance will take care of everything for her.

Like you mentioned, I for sure know now what I'll be doing first whenever we pull in for propane.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
What was scarry, was how hot and fast that fire became; someone was smiling that the gas tank didn't explode.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
thats a ugly sight,,,,
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Ugh, that's horrible.

I still don't understand why motorhomes have built-in propane tanks. I hated how I had to drive the B190 somewhere every time I needed propane; it's much easier to disconnect the tank on the trailer and take it to the local gas station for a refill. And, yes, I've had to fill it while my cat was in the B190...I'm glad we never had this problem!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
And, yes, I've had to fill it while my cat was in the B190...
Let that be a lesson to us all.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I just talked with her, our kind traveling community fed her (plus a couple of shots of good bourbon) and gave her a place to stay until she can get on her feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1718fire.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	152864  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mike I was taught on my gas training course that banging two pieces of brass together can ignite propane. You mention that it exploded as he was hooking up the fill hose. I always connect the fill hose carefully so as not to bang it into the fill valve with any force. Unless he had already started to fill the tank a pilot light wouldn't have started that fire. I have no way to know for sure but it is worth mentioning so everyone makes sure another attendant is careful when connecting the fill hose nozzle. There are plenty of untrained people using this fill stations. It's also possible that he opened the bleed valve before connecting the hose.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Ugh, that's horrible.

I still don't understand why motorhomes have built-in propane tanks. I hated how I had to drive the B190 somewhere every time I needed propane; it's much easier to disconnect the tank on the trailer and take it to the local gas station for a refill. And, yes, I've had to fill it while my cat was in the B190...I'm glad we never had this problem!
I'm guessing there are issues with making the tank portable and still having capacity... Even hauling 2-20lbers around is pretty heavy... You'd need a lot more space to have a removable tank and the room to get the tank(s) in and out.

I big built-in tank is pretty convenient for most people.

As for why it blew... who knows... the pressure regulator on the tank should have protected anything downstream even it the main line wasn't turned off.

I had a mini-fire in the water-heater compartment last year... stupid spiders plugged up the tube and it started to burn at the mixture control tube. Luckily it burnt the thermal fuse and shut off... Could have eventually burnt up...

I find it quite amazing with gasoline, propane, etc... that there aren't more disasters... crappy equipment and speedily trained (if at all) attendants would seem to add up to more 'kabooms'.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"... banging two pieces of brass together can ignite propane."

I used to work with explosives; and brass fittings and tools were used in certain applications, because they didn't cause sparks. Not to say that this possibility can or should be completely ruled out, but I would suspect that either an electrical spark or open flame is the more likely cause.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm, scary!!

Glad no one was hurt, a miracle.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
An interesting booklet on static electricity and propane is available from propanesafety.com. That link is here.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Thank you for sharing this story. So glad no one was hurt. But, it's a great lesson for all of us. Cheers!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
"... banging two pieces of brass together can ignite propane."

I used to work with explosives; and brass fittings and tools were used in certain applications, because they didn't cause sparks. Not to say that this possibility can or should be completely ruled out, but I would suspect that either an electrical spark or open flame is the more likely cause.
It was explained to me by the teacher of the course that it is the heat that can be generated from the rough contact of the two pieces of brass and not sparks. I took him at his word as I am unwilling to test the idea in practice lest I get the desired results.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
This could have been a huge disaster; it is for the gal from British Columbia who's vacation is shot.
I do feel sorry for this poor lady. With the destruction of her unit she was suddenly stranded far from home, in a foreign country no less, (although fortunately not very foreign) with nothing but the clothes on her back.

Hopefully, since she was in the store at the time of the accident, she had money/credit cards/ID with her. And fortunately she was at a campground surrounded by folks ready to aid a fellow RVer in distress.

We don't have this particular risk since we have a trailer and consequently LP tanks that are removed from the trailer for refilling. But the incident does give cause to contemplate the value of dividing some valuables such as cash and credit cards between trailer and tow vehicle in case one or the other is unexpectedly lost or stolen. ID is a little tougher since you generally only have one drivers license and one passport.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Terrible thing. Propane is darned dangerous stuff. I've had only one "incident" here, though, thankfully, no fire -- but certainly enough to scare the pants off of me.

Lynn
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Very frightening!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I still don't understand why motorhomes have built-in propane tanks. I hated how I had to drive the B190 somewhere every time I needed propane; it's much easier to disconnect the tank on the trailer and take it to the local gas station for a refill.
They are thought to be safer. Since the tanks don't have to be light enough to lift, they can use the heavier walled ASME-specification tanks. There is also a placement problem since portable cylinders have to be in an open-bottom cabinet. The few motorhomes I have seen with portable cylinders have used horizontal ones which have their own set of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Mike I was taught on my gas training course that banging two pieces of brass together can ignite propane. You mention that it exploded as he was hooking up the fill hose. I always connect the fill hose carefully so as not to bang it into the fill valve with any force. Unless he had already started to fill the tank a pilot light wouldn't have started that fire. I have no way to know for sure but it is worth mentioning so everyone makes sure another attendant is careful when connecting the fill hose nozzle. There are plenty of untrained people using this fill stations. It's also possible that he opened the bleed valve before connecting the hose.
It appears that the fire began with gas that accumulated inside the van igniting. That may have been largely unrelated to refueling, perhaps as a result of a leak in the range or cooktop plumbing, or perhaps due to a portable cylinder stored inside the van -- people sometimes do creative things to cook when they run out of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I'm guessing there are issues with making the tank portable and still having capacity... Even hauling 2-20lbers around is pretty heavy... You'd need a lot more space to have a removable tank and the room to get the tank(s) in and out.
All but the largest class As have less propane capacity than a trailer with two 40 pound tanks.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote