Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
FOUND! Good GPS Tracker

Hi All

I've been researching GPS trackers for our trailer over the past year. There are a ton out there, and they all have different pros and cons. A couple things to consider...
  • Initial and monthly cost
  • coverage
  • battery life/power source
  • size
  • installation
  • customer service
  • user interface of the software
  • features (alerts, geofences etc)

While most vendors had good coverage and battery life, they all were expensive initial cost with a confusing and/or higher than I'd like monthly cost.
Some others I found couldn't be installed on the exterior, which wouldn't work for an Airstream since they are basically huge faraday cages. And finally the rest either didn't have the features that I wanted like geofences.

I finally found the "goldilocks" of GPS trackers for our needs.

RM Tracking Smart Tracker Plus HSPA

This item checked off all our boxes.
  • While is it a little expensive up front ($260), I can't put a price on keeping track of our trailer. It has no monthly cost, instead you purchase a pack of "locates" (about 50 for $100) which means every time you "locate" the trailer with the software or it leaves a geofence you will use on of your locates. This is perfect if you're using it as a security measure, meaning you would only need to locate your trailer if it goes missing or someone takes it out of your geofence without knowing.
  • Great coverage (verizon comparable)
  • Hard wired into the 12v system with a 2-3 week back up battery
  • Size is small and discreet, easy to install. Siliconed to the roof and ran the wire through the fridge vent.
  • Customer service has been great, the salesman and technical support have all been very helpful with purchasing and installation.
  • User interface is not modern, but easy enough to use. This is originally meant to be used by a business to track their fleet of vehicles or trailers so it has a lot features/functions that you don't need.
  • And finally features, they offer unlimited geofences that are very easy to setup and can send alerts for multiple scenarios to multiple people via email or text. We have tested it multiple times and it has worked without a hitch.

Overall a great product, gives us peace of mind knowing that our investment is safe and if someone does try to take it, we can easily find it. I would definitely recommend looking into it if you're serious about your trailer security.
handrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by handrew View Post
Hi All

I've been researching GPS trackers for our trailer over the past year. ...
I went to the web site you linked and see that this does appear to be a GPS tracker, as indicated in your thread title, but a cell tower and cell phone reception is required to track an asset. This is fine in many areas, but if out of cell phone range it won't provide a location such as a Satellite communicator will. Still good for peace of mind.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
I use this service on both my tow vehicule and my AS. I would think something similar is available in the US.

http://tagtracking.ca/en/
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I went to the web site you linked and see that this does appear to be a GPS tracker, as indicated in your thread title, but a cell tower and cell phone reception is required to track an asset. This is fine in many areas, but if out of cell phone range it won't provide a location such as a Satellite communicator will. Still good for peace of mind.
You are correct it uses cellphone coverage to track, which may not be comprehensive internationally, or in the desert of the US. Since we plan parking/being away from the trailer in areas that would have cell coverage it was a good solution for us.
I have started to think about the scenario that if we did leave it in an area without service, and someone did take it, I would probably create a geofence around that dead area and then make it so I get an alert when the trailer enters the active area.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
I use this service on both my tow vehicule and my AS. I would think something similar is available in the US.

http://tagtracking.ca/en/
Looks very interesting, however I can't figure out how they track the vehicle. It says the system doesn't need to be hooked up to electricity, and you can monitor its activity from their mobile app. How do you use this service?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Look at the Spot Tracker at findmespot.com.

Works great.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Spot Trace.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
SPOT Trace

Quote:
You are correct it uses cellphone coverage to track, which may not be comprehensive internationally, or in the desert of the US. Since we plan parking/being away from the trailer in areas that would have cell coverage it was a good solution for us.
I have started to think about the scenario that if we did leave it in an area without service, and someone did take it, I would probably create a geofence around that dead area and then make it so I get an alert when the trailer enters the active area.
I use the SPOT Trace which is a satellite communicator. It sends me a status message once a day and if the trailer is moved it will track it at 2 minute intervals. The disadvantage is if the trailer is stolen and hidden inside of a building then there won't be a track point as the Trace needs a sky view. However, you would be able to track it right up until the point it was parked inside. It is interesting that when a strong thunderstorm goes through I get a message and GPS location that the trailer has moved.

Here is the link to the thread I started on the SPOT Trace. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ff-155115.html
Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
I'm sorry but I wasn't aware AS theft was such a problem. I guess locking the hitch and using other security devices is not enough. Does anyone know the extent of the problem.
Happy Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Hitch Lock Won't Stop Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
I'm sorry but I wasn't aware AS theft was such a problem. I guess locking the hitch and using other security devices is not enough. Does anyone know the extent of the problem.
A hitch lock won't stop theft. Gone in a little over a minute.

Better to be able to track your trailer if it is stolen.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
Quote:
A hitch lock won't stop theft. Gone in a little over a minute.

Better to be able to track your trailer if it is stolen.

Wow that is quick. Thanks
Happy Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, in that video he didn't spend time disconnecting any electric or hoses. Just sayin...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Looks very interesting, however I can't figure out how they track the vehicle. It says the system doesn't need to be hooked up to electricity, and you can monitor its activity from their mobile app. How do you use this service?
The system is autonomous and will remain for 5 years. After that period you need to install new nanotags. I only use the TAG system where you basically call them if your vehicule gets stolen and they track it and recover it. The TAG Iris system is a little mor complex and let's you track in real time where your vehicule is, there is a video on their web site explaining the service.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Is there any statistical info on how many AS are reported stolen? Any geo info on where they ocurr the most?

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-STI_G...KKS8NKCDXW11H1 I guess you can start the 'subscription' when and only your AS is stolen:
"Flexible subscription plans: The Spy Tec GPS real time tracking plan requires no contract or activation fee and can be stopped or started at any time. The monthly subscription (starting at $25 a month) allows for real time tracking beginning with minute-by-minute updates, upgradable to as often as every five seconds." Unit price is $69 as of today.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Is there any statistical info on how many AS are reported stolen? Any geo info on where they ocurr the most?

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-STI_G...KKS8NKCDXW11H1 I guess you can start the 'subscription' when and only your AS is stolen:
"Flexible subscription plans: The Spy Tec GPS real time tracking plan requires no contract or activation fee and can be stopped or started at any time. The monthly subscription (starting at $25 a month) allows for real time tracking beginning with minute-by-minute updates, upgradable to as often as every five seconds." Unit price is $69 as of today.
Very cool!! Definitely looking into this as well. Not a huge fan on the out of the box two week battery life, but the 6 month extended battery sounds interesting.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Pay your insurance premiums ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
The disadvantage is if the trailer is stolen and hidden inside of a building then there won't be a track point as the Trace needs a sky view. However, you would be able to track it right up until the point it was parked inside.
Ray, Vida --

Regarding tracking up to the point it was moved inside; is that real-time only, or is it archive/history capable? If I am off the grid elsewhere and return to find the vehicle had been moved in the intervening time; that I might be able to bring up a history from two days prior and track the historical record of movement?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Spot Trace - Record of Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Ray, Vida --

Regarding tracking up to the point it was moved inside; is that real-time only, or is it archive/history capable? If I am off the grid elsewhere and return to find the vehicle had been moved in the intervening time; that I might be able to bring up a history from two days prior and track the historical record of movement?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ian
With the SPOT Trace you get one message per day, indicating that the unit is functioning properly. If movement is detected you get an alert. In order to track the movement in real time you need to log in to your account and you can follow along with each track point. I believe that the track points are kept for on your account for one month.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
You might to check reviews on the Spot device first.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-3...ssenger-Beacon
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
You might to check reviews on the Spot device first.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-3...ssenger-Beacon
Those reviews aren't for the SPOT Trace, but rather the Messenger.