Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Fort Worth Texas to New York City

We would love to travel with Happy from Fort Worth Texas to New York City this spring as we have never been to the Big Apple. Where would be a good campground we could stay at near the city with good public transport close by? We worry about choosing a safe area as we don’t have any idea about the different areas around New York. Thanks, CU, Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
there's not many RV campgrounds close into or around NYC. other discussions in this forum leads me to think that the CG in Jersey City, NJ is closest, but somewhat "rough".

the timing of your question, though, coincides with this other discussion - Bear Mountain State Park , NY - Airstream Forums

if you were to camp in Croton Park, the walk or drive to the train + the train to Grand Central Station in NYC is a reasonable commute.

Croton Point Park, Croton Point Ave, Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520 to Grand Central Station, New York, NY 10017 - Google Maps

there's also lot's of Parks, History, Landmarks, and other things to do in addition to NYC itself within the area.

these other links may be helpful to you -

Croton Point Co Park - Google Maps

Croton Point Park - Westchester - 2002 - New York City Pics, Images, Photography

RV Park Reviews :: Croton on Hudson, New York ( NY ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Mapping Westchester County

let us know if you're coming. there's a number of other 'streamers nearby that can also help & advise you!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I sure appreciate your quick reply. It is wonderful to have some guidelines in advance. Especially when you do not know your way around. Hope to get there in the spring. CU, Airperson
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Locations with Train Service to NYC

We've also wanted to try this...camping upstate and being able to walk to a train station or drive a short distance to get to one, hop on the train and explore NYC without the cost of accomodations.

Try this link and find a state park or RV park close by.

MNR Connecting Service
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nyc-53237.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
richinny thanks for the great link. these folks really did their homework. Cu, on the road Airperson
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2
there's not many RV campgrounds close into or around NYC. other discussions in this forum leads me to think that the CG in Jersey City, NJ is closest, but somewhat "rough".

the timing of your question, though, coincides with this other discussion - Bear Mountain State Park , NY - Airstream Forums

if you were to camp in Croton Park, the walk or drive to the train + the train to Grand Central Station in NYC is a reasonable commute.

Jm2 gave you one the best(Croton point park CG) we have to offer here in the Big Apple. We ( NY Metro WBCCI) had our end of year Halloween camping here and was great, very clean bathroom & CG. I also frequent this park with my wife, children & Grands ( kayak, wind surfing, fishing, jet skiing & remote aircraft flying).
You will definitely enjoy your $35 ( full hookup) per night at this CG.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I suppose I should have also asked about some other places to stay along the way to NY in my origina message. I am looking for a stop near Boon Nc. and would also like to find a safe place to stay near Arlington National C. Any help would be appreciated as we will be a long way from home and not knowing the area.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Beacon, New York

I believe I've discovered a good place to base the explorations in Beacon, New York called Sylvan Lake Beach . There are all kinds of things to do, antiques, wineries, farms, historical areas, etc. Google the area for more info. In fact... it occurred to me that there is so much in Beacon, you might never make it to NYC.

Dutchess County Campground/Camping Poughkeepsie/Hudson Valley/New York Fishing
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
and, further out into the countryside....

though perhaps further than you'd usually commute to NYC, though I know that some do it daily,

a bit further "up the road", and even more removed from NYC is Interlake RV Park that was recommended to us by "1956Safari".

you can catch the Hudson North train to & from Rhinebeck.

check out the schedule of events at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds, also in Rhinebeck.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote